Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
flashlight
AF Regular

Emergency Brake Light

When I'm driving along occasionally the emergency brake light will flash on for a moment and then it is gone. What could be causing this to happen? And is there a way that it can be fixed?
flashlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:54 AM   #2
Woodie83
AF Enthusiast

Re: Emergency Brake Light

That's the "something is up with your brakes" light, emergency brake is just one of the things that will light it. Your light is blinking (only in turns) because your brake fluid is low. Your brake fluid is low because you need front pads. Scrape $30 out of that cobweb covered wallet and dedicate half an hour this weekend to fixing it.

98 Metro and 06 Aerio SX

Don't waste your vote on one or the other of the Republicrats, vote for Gary Johnson and really do something for a change
http://www.garyjohnson2012.com

Woodie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
91Caprice9c1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie83 View Post
That's the "something is up with your brakes" light, emergency brake is just one of the things that will light it. Your light is blinking (only in turns) because your brake fluid is low. Your brake fluid is low because you need front pads. Scrape $30 out of that cobweb covered wallet and dedicate half an hour this weekend to fixing it.
Brilliant response!

Of course, it would only be prudent to be sure you aren't leaking brake fluid anywhere (caliper pistons, brake lines/hoses, wheel cylinders in the rear) because in addition to the low-fluid switch in the master cylinder reservoir, the combination switch is designed to illuminate your dash light when there's a pressure imbalance.

Otherwise, I agree entirely.

-Matt

1993 Geo Metro - Accident

1991 Caprice 9c1 - Destroyed

91Caprice9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
Woodie83
AF Enthusiast

That was a simplification in order to improve the wise ass nature of the post. If you hear any grinding or feel any pulsation, you need new rotors or the rotors turned. If it's been more than five years, you should dismount and inspect the calipers, cleaning and greasing the sliders when re-assembling with new boots. Always inspect for leaks, might want to flush that old brake fluid out if it's been in there ten years, blah blah blah.

I wear out a set of pads in a year and a half, so I just slap new pads on and go. Never turn a rotor, never replace one, but the car is stone worn out in five years. No time for rust here.

98 Metro and 06 Aerio SX

Don't waste your vote on one or the other of the Republicrats, vote for Gary Johnson and really do something for a change

Old 10-30-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
flashlight
AF Regular

When you say flushing out the old brake fluid, are you talking about bleeding the brakes? And then pumping the brake pedal in order to get the air bubbles out of the line. Also would it be possible to fill up/ top off the brake fluid to prolong the changing of the front brake pads? I only ask as I have a dwindling amount of funds due to the lack of work in my area. Also how difficult/ easy is it to change the front brake pads? I've changed the rear ones and I thought that those very a pretty simple change.
flashlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 AM   #6
Woodie83
AF Enthusiast

Disks are easier than drums, I can put a set of pads on in 30 minutes including jacking and putting the tools away. You can top off the fluid, but soon you're going to need pads and when you put them on your fluid is going to overflow.

As long as your brakes are working well now you can get pads for $20 and slap them on in less than an hour. If you had more money you could get new calipers and rotors for under $200 and have everything fresh but there's nothing wrong with a set of pads as a patch job.

98 Metro and 06 Aerio SX

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro