Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Intrepid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
l2b
AF Newbie

Unhappy '99 Intrepid ... Burned on $2K rebuilt trans 'cuz speed sensor failed??

Appreciate any expert input!! On reading numerous related consumer complaints, see not one instance of anyone having to replace trans immediately after speed sensor failed. Was I a clueless female victim? May pursue legal recourse if suspicions deemed legit. Speed sensor failure diagnosed day after first shifting probs & same day speedometer died ... error codes 700 / 720 / 731 / 1790. Shop who'd done unrelated repairs the prior week, whom I initially thought responsible, referred me to "reputable" trans shop. Price for speed sensor $120 vs $225 at dealership .... 30 minute repair. Couple hours later ... convinced me that damage was already done to trans [speed sensor reportedly failing over long course of time, damaging trans throughout] ... needed to partially disassemble to diagnose ... min. $400 ... upon which they determined because housing was quite hot and had some film coating (1 cm or less thick) build-up ... that trans was toast and needed to be rebuilt. Estimate of which all parts to be provided after totally disassembled. Cost $2000 + rental car (one of MANY costly repairs on this vehicle)!

Have kicked myself (me, who typically calls half-a-dozen shops to so much as replace a battery) for months for not choosing to replace speed sensor and waiting to see what happened after. Anyone mechanically inclined, able to provide assessment supporting and/or disputing foul play would be greatly appreciated! Mucho thanx!
l2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
windowpane
AF Newbie

Re: '99 Intrepid ... Burned on $2K rebuilt trans 'cuz speed sensor failed??

I can't comment on the status of the transmission or any additional codes as from what I have read/heard usually the speed sensor(s) will fail and then the car will stay in 'limp mode' meaning it won't shift out of 2nd gear to protect the transmission. Most of the people I have heard from then immiedately replace the speed sensor(s) and the problem is resolved. There were some instances where the speedometer would go out as well but I do not remember for sure if that was the case on just a bad speed sensor or something else.

There is more information on other 'LH' body cars over the course of several years for the Intrepid/Concorde/Lhs/300m which share many of the same systems components on www.dodgeintrepid.net

You would likely find more information about a similiar problem someone else had on that site or failing that would be able to get some answers from some of the more mechanically inclined members. No one can tell you whether your transmission needed to be rebuilt etc over the computer but some may 'smell' something foul with
Quote:
film coating (1 cm or less thick) build-up
or
Quote:
speed sensor reportedly failing over long course of time
being reasons that the transmission needed to be rebuilt etc.

windowpane is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Intrepid