Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
'88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee Partnership with: LadyNRedSi.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
juv923
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to juv923 Send a message via Yahoo to juv923
Thumbs down D16A6 block swap with a D16A1 Block

I have a 1990 crx si. I recently had the engine built into a mini me. I kept the D16A6 Block with transmission. Put a P28 reprogramed ECU and put a brand new ported and polished Y8 Vtec head on it. Ran good for a couple of months, Then decided to start knocking the other day. My compression was still at 150psi so i know the valves were good. I broke the #3 piston rod. I bought a salvaged 89 Integra from a guy and yanked the motor out. I need to know from the best knologed person on here If I can take the D16A1 Block and use it in my crx. I know the Y8 head will work on it but will I be running into further problems?
juv923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
arodg25
AF Regular

Re: D16A6 block swap with a D16A1 Block

nope the d16a1 is a dohc engine. will not fit. I know theres a guy who did it, but the time and money invested was just stupid. and from the pictures i saw he had oil all over his engine bay.
arodg25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

^ Yup, I posted a link to it (from Honda-tech) over here a few month ago. You should look for a D16Y7 or Y8 block.
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:25 AM   #4
Hybrid1990crx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Hybrid1990crx

yeah that wont work at all. sorry dude.
Saturn Stealership Technician #331
Hybrid1990crx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
bambam89lx
AF - Advisor

Send a message via AIM to bambam89lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by juv923
I have a 1990 crx si. I recently had the engine built into a mini me. I kept the D16A6 Block with transmission. Put a P28 reprogramed ECU and put a brand new ported and polished Y8 Vtec head on it. Ran good for a couple of months, Then decided to start knocking the other day. My compression was still at 150psi so i know the valves were good. I broke the #3 piston rod. I bought a salvaged 89 Integra from a guy and yanked the motor out. I need to know from the best knologed person on here If I can take the D16A1 Block and use it in my crx. I know the Y8 head will work on it but will I be running into further problems?
Even if you could get it to work, you're going to need to get custom fabricated mounts because a D16a1 block will never mount into and EF chassis. It shares alot of things with a ZC, but the mounts are completely different.

Click the image above to visit our online store!

Hastings Bseries and Dseries piston ring kits (inc. ZC) - $49 shipped
bambam89lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
juv923
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam89lx
Even if you could get it to work, you're going to need to get custom fabricated mounts because a D16a1 block will never mount into and EF chassis. It shares alot of things with a ZC, but the mounts are completely different.
OK i know I was told about the mounts. No biggy, We can make some mounts. What about the transmission? Which axels do I use? Or can I not use my si or integra axels. Im not using the head. Im going to use my Y8 head on it...Help from everyone on here would be great...
Old 07-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
lxndr
AF -Advisor

Good luck bolting the Y8 head onto the D16A1! The bolt hole closest to the distributor is about 1/4" out of alignment. There's not enough room in the head to elongate the bolt hole and retapping the block half way through another hole is just a bad idea.

The only tranny that directly bolts up the the D16A1 is the '86-'89 Integra tranny. You can use your SI tranny but you will need to elongate one of the bolt holes, then tap and helocoil one of the holes under the starter just so you can mount the starter.

The Integra D16A1 is different from all other D-series motors, not much from an 88+ Honda D-series motor is interchangeable with a D16A1. When I built a D16A1 for my '86 CRX I played around with the idea of modifying another head to fit, it didn't work. I found that once you decide to go with a D16A1, you're pretty much stuck with stock D16A1 parts.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but it would be alot easier to just pick up another d16A6 block. Besides, do you know how high your compression ratio will be if you did manage to get the Y8 head on the A1 block!!!
lxndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

You didn't understand us correctly. It doesn't matter if you're using your stock head or the Y8 head, it's not going to work. They (D16A6/Y8/etc and D16A1) are 2 different types of D-series engines, and are not compatible like that.
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
juv923
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
You didn't understand us correctly. It doesn't matter if you're using your stock head or the Y8 head, it's not going to work. They (D16A6/Y8/etc and D16A1) are 2 different types of D-series engines, and are not compatible like that.
ok thats all i needed to know. I wasnt trying to push things with that engine. As long as I had more then a couple of answers I know that there isnt a way to use it..... My biggest issue was that I spent the money on getting the car, yanked the motor out and now stuck with out a clue of finding another block with good pistons.. Im mainly disposing my a6 block because I know the cylinder walls are going to be a mess when I take the head off. The people before me had abused this block before I changed the other parts. I just need to start over with the engine but like I said finding a a6 block will be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Im probobly just going to use a d15 block and just work it from there
Old 07-02-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
2poor2tune
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2poor2tune

bottom line just dont mess with that sertain setup. go for another or just a complete y8 block with your head and put them together or just put the teggy motor back together.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #11
juv923
AF Newbie

I didnt take the integra motor apart. its still together sitting at the shop. I dont have the money for that y7 or y8 engine. Im trying to do what I cant with what I have. i dont have a whole lot of help nor money to out put on this project. Its my dailey driver and pretty much stuck.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:32 PM   #12
bambam89lx
AF - Advisor

Send a message via AIM to bambam89lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by juv923
OK i know I was told about the mounts. No biggy, We can make some mounts. What about the transmission? Which axels do I use? Or can I not use my si or integra axels. Im not using the head. Im going to use my Y8 head on it...Help from everyone on here would be great...
are you fucking serious? what are you trying to do here man? The cost of machine work for getting the head to work on that block, and making custom mounts, along with all the other custom crap you're going to need is the price of a B series swap. Don't even bother man. You're not going to make any power with that setup. After all, it's just a 1.6 block. Just get a sohc 1.6 block. Seriously man.

You don't have enough money? Then your are participating in the wrong sport man. If you need something reliable then just put the d16a1 motor back in the integra and drive it like that. It doesn't matter how much money you put into a single cam setup, it's NEVER going to be fast by todays standards. Turbo is the only way to even make small amounts of power out of sohc motors.

Click the image above to visit our online store!

Hastings Bseries and Dseries piston ring kits (inc. ZC) - $49 shipped
bambam89lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #13
juv923
AF Newbie

I Found out that it will be a direct fit and that i can use my Si transmission so thanks for the help. i ended up talking to a guy at JKmotorsports and he has done it before and i also found a friend who said he has seen it done. the only mount that is a little off is the back motor mount which is no problem. i was just trying to find out if anyone had done this before but since i have found a few friends that have i will have them help me out. Plus the integra was totaled and it was a friends so we pulled the motor. Who said i was in a sport i have a CRX witha mini-me setup which was done before i got it and now it has a cracked piston or rod. i also found out that i can use the Y8 head on it but im not goin to do that im goin to keep it a DOHC.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #14
2poor2tune
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2poor2tune

what is a direct swap? the teg motor? it should be just put your mounts on it and the si tranny will be the best for it. i think you already said this but yeah to teg axels work fine and i think that is all. the wiring will be different a little dont sweat it tho its just taking 2 wires from the dizzy plug and putting them to the cam algel sensor on the a1's head. simple. oh and the dizzy plug needs to be square not rounds like the si one is. let me know if you need to know any more
Old 07-02-2006, 11:16 PM   #15
juv923
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2poor2tune
what is a direct swap? the teg motor? it should be just put your mounts on it and the si tranny will be the best for it. i think you already said this but yeah to teg axels work fine and i think that is all. the wiring will be different a little dont sweat it tho its just taking 2 wires from the dizzy plug and putting them to the cam algel sensor on the a1's head. simple. oh and the dizzy plug needs to be square not rounds like the si one is. let me know if you need to know any more
Yes thats the responce I was waiting to here... Thank you... I thought maybe everyone was just about to be against what I was going to head for... I was thinking of making a mini me out of it but I knew something just wouldnt be right. But I was sticking to putting the whole engine in, in the first place.. Ok as long as I can re use my si tranny that works better... The si axles are new so I might just keep those as well, Not really sure how the integra axels are.. But thank you for the positive feed back

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee