Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
jk71062
AF Newbie

2000 Silverado, venting frustration, JUNK

Well I need to vent, Purchased a 2000 Silverado reg cab Z71 and all was well until about 80,000 miles. Since then the following has happened.
1, At 81000 the ABS light came on while driving in the rain. Bad Antilock ECBM, no help from GM, dealer only part for $800 or so. And the GM engineers found a good place for this sweetheart, on the frame directly behind the left front wheel. Now thats where I would place an $800 electronic part with a zillion wires running to it.
2, At about the same time the gas gauge go's wacko, 1/2 a tank, empty, full, who the hell knows. But the service advisor said $350, only availiable from GM, imagine that. By the way he also said probably caused by cold gas? I have yet to find in the owners manual where it says not to drive in winter.
3, The damn steering column has made a knocking noise since I can't remember when.
4, The throttle body sticks like glue after the engine is warmed up and you have to ram your foot through the floor to get it released, The NTSB did an investigation and said its no big deal.
5, Now I am finally getting a recall I see on the NTSB site. Its for the damn cables that support the tailgate when its down that broke at probably 40000 miles and at 135000 thats only well you do the math miles ago. Great, I'll get 2 new cables that are probably worth $1.99 but I bet $30 from GM. So when I ram the accelerator to get it unstuck, and the truck takes off and I cant stop due to the brakes failing, when the fuel tank explodes at least the tailgate will stay attached to the bed I hope. And to think I have owned a 72 Monte, 86 S10, 92 S 10, 93 K1500, 95 Zr2 S10, 97 K1500 ext, and now this wonderful Silverado. Hmmmmmm, should I get another GM product?
John
jk71062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:14 PM   #2
Jimmiz71
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 Silverado, venting frustration, JUNK

Well it sounds like you Have come to the right place, Everything you have mentioned This forum has a fix for, Look for the thread "Throttle Bodies" it will take you a whole five mins to fix by cleaning your throttle body
Jimmiz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:18 PM   #3
Jimmiz71
AF Enthusiast

my reply got chopped, Anyways this is a great place for valuable info and Money saving advice
Good Luck John
-Jimmy
Old 04-12-2004, 04:10 PM   #4
tidalcock
AF Enthusiast

sounds like our ford windstar van. If it weren't for the extended warranty that came with the vehicle, we would have forked out thousands for numerous problems and repairs. I feel your pain.
tidalcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
jk71062
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2000 Silverado, venting frustration, JUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmiz71
Well it sounds like you Have come to the right place, Everything you have mentioned This forum has a fix for, Look for the thread "Throttle Bodies" it will take you a whole five mins to fix by cleaning your throttle body
Well I agree, Although after having owned GM trucks purchased new in 86,92,93,95,97 I have yet to have ever had to clean the throttle body on any of them until this 2000. And I have cleaned, cleaned, and recleaned and every time after a few thousand miles it sticks again. Here is the determination of the NHTSA investigation into the problem;

THIS INVESTIGATION INVOLVES THE GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION (GM) THROTTLE BODY (TB) UTILIZED IN MODEL YEAR (MY) 1999-2002 SILVERADO, SIERRA, TAHOE, SUBURBAN, AVALANCHE AND YUKON (SUBJECT VEHICLE(S)) WITH 4.8L, 5.3L, AND 6.0L ENGINES. THE TB VALVE MAY INTERMITTENTLY STICK IN A CLOSED POSITION. IN SUCH A SITUATION, AN OPERATOR MAY APPLY ADDITIONAL ACCELERATOR PEDAL FORCE TO INCREASE ENGINE SPEED. THE APPLICATION OF ADDITIONAL ACCELERATOR PEDAL FORCE, TO OPEN A STUCK THROTTLE VALVE, MAY OPEN THE THROTTLE VALVE MORE THAN INTENDED AND, IN TURN, ACCELERATE THE ENGINE AND VEHICLE MORE THAN INTENDED AND REASONABLY EXPECTED BY THE DRIVER. ON AUGUST 1, 2002, THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION (ODI), OF THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION (NHTSA), OPENED THIS ENGINEERING ANALYSIS. THE INVESTIGATION REVEALED THAT TWO FACTORS MAY CAUSE THE DEFECT: 1) TB MANUFACTURING PROCESS PROBLEMS; AND 2) ACCUMULATION OF DEPOSITS (A PCV SYSTEM BY-PRODUCT) ON OR AROUND THE TB THROTTLE VALVE AND BORE. ODI CONCLUDES THAT THE TB PERFORMS IN A DEFECTIVE MANNER AFTER ANALYZING GM’S DATA SUBMISSIONS, AND TEST DATA COLLECTED BY THE VEHICLE RESEARCH AND TEST CENTER (VRTC). FIFTY-NINE CRASHES ARE ALLEGED TO HAVE OCCURRED AS A RESULT OF GM’S TB DEFECT. THE MAJORITY OF THE CRASHES INVOLVE A SINGLE VEHICLE, ENGAGING IN A CLOSE QUARTER VEHICLE MANEUVER (OR LOW SPEED), AND CAUSING ONLY MINOR PROPERTY DAMAGE. FOUR OUT OF THE FIFTY-NINE CRASHES INVOLVE INJURY, AND THOSE INJURIES WERE MINOR. ALTHOUGH GM’S TB IS DEFECTIVE, BASED ON THE EVIDENCE GATHERED, ODI HAS FOUND THAT THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL FORCE REQUIRED TO OPEN A STUCK THROTTLE VALVE IS NEGLIGIBLE, AND THE THROTTLE VALVE DOES NOT STICK IN THE OPEN POSITION. THEREFORE THIS ENGINEERING ANALYSIS (EA02-015) WILL BE CLOSED AT THIS TIME. THE CLOSING OF THIS INVESTIGATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A FINDING BY NHTSA THAT A SAFETY-RELATED DEFECT DOES NOT EXIST. FOR A DETAILED DISCUSSION OF THE TB COMPONENT AND TESTING, PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED REPORT.
jk71062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:08 AM   #6
Jimmiz71
AF Enthusiast

Ill agree with you it does suck to see things like this go unresolved.. I too believe that chevy should fix problems like these, including the sending units on our Silverados and Tailgate cables without a fight, Dont get m
Old 04-13-2004, 09:14 AM   #7
Jimmiz71
AF Enthusiast

Ill agree with you it does suck to see things like this go unresolved.. I too believe that chevy should fix problems like these, including the sending units on our Silverados and Tailgate cables without a fight, Don't ge
Old 04-13-2004, 10:16 AM   #8
Jimmiz71
AF Enthusiast

Third times a charm right,,, Don't get me wrong I love my truck but I don't like being told to accept the fact that because something doesn't cause a serious threat it should go unfixed. Thanks for your Post..
-
Old 04-13-2004, 12:53 PM   #9
jeverett
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeverett Send a message via AIM to jeverett Send a message via MSN to jeverett Send a message via Yahoo to jeverett

I have a 99. I can't get recalls. This is the first chevy i've owned, and to he honest, I really like it. Its powerful, gets good mileage (anything beats 8mpg) rides good, and hasn't really given me much trouble besides blown head gaskets at 70K. Next time though, I'm back to my trusty Ford, I think I'll get a PowerStroke.
"BIG 3"
2500+ watt audio

jeverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 12:57 PM   #10
djsommer
AF Newbie

Talking Simple fixes

Hey guys...just found this site, looks good and I have some info to share. My throttle was sticking and it really started ticking me off. I cleaned the throttle blade/bore several times, very temporary fix. I finally found that the idle adjustment screw (very small screw located at the bottom on the TB where the linkage arm rests when the throttle is closed) is made of a softer metal and over time the tip of it gets flat and causes the throttle to stick a bit. It took a very small allen wrench and some patience to remove it, because the opening on the screw for the wrench is on the bottom of it (think upside down). Remove the screw, flip it over (or replace it with another, but stronger screw) and screw it back in to about where it was heightwise. Start the truck, fine tune the idle with the screw, and the stickiness should be gone. Mine was!
As far as the tailgate latch goes, I agree, it sucks. My clip busted off, like everyone else's and I figured I'd pop down to my friendly Chevy dealer and spend a few bucks on some new clips. My fingers left indentions in their countertop from my anger when they told me "nope, no clips, you gotta buy the whole assembly for $49.95." Went home and looked at the size of the rods that go in the latch assembly. Got a nut with nylon threads in it that was a little tight for the diameter of the rod, then put the rod in the assembly and screwed the nut onto the rod.
It's a little tough because once the rods in, it's kinda tight to work the nut on, but I did it and everything is fine. I broke off the other clip too and did the same thing so I would'nt have to do it later.
If y'all use these tips I hope they work for y'all like they did me.
djsommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 02:38 PM   #11
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk71062
Well I need to vent, Purchased a 2000 Silverado reg cab Z71 and all was well until about 80,000 miles. Since then the following has happened.
1, At 81000 the ABS light came on while driving in the rain. Bad Antilock ECBM, no help from GM, dealer only part for $800 or so. And the GM engineers found a good place for this sweetheart, on the frame directly behind the left front wheel. Now thats where I would place an $800 electronic part with a zillion wires running to it.
2, At about the same time the gas gauge go's wacko, 1/2 a tank, empty, full, who the hell knows. But the service advisor said $350, only availiable from GM, imagine that. By the way he also said probably caused by cold gas? I have yet to find in the owners manual where it says not to drive in winter.
3, The damn steering column has made a knocking noise since I can't remember when.
4, The throttle body sticks like glue after the engine is warmed up and you have to ram your foot through the floor to get it released, The NTSB did an investigation and said its no big deal.
5, Now I am finally getting a recall I see on the NTSB site. Its for the damn cables that support the tailgate when its down that broke at probably 40000 miles and at 135000 thats only well you do the math miles ago. Great, I'll get 2 new cables that are probably worth $1.99 but I bet $30 from GM. So when I ram the accelerator to get it unstuck, and the truck takes off and I cant stop due to the brakes failing, when the fuel tank explodes at least the tailgate will stay attached to the bed I hope. And to think I have owned a 72 Monte, 86 S10, 92 S 10, 93 K1500, 95 Zr2 S10, 97 K1500 ext, and now this wonderful Silverado. Hmmmmmm, should I get another GM product?
John
Problem #1..Call Galvin Curtis at Circuit solutions..he fixes the ABS modules for $100
Problem #2..unfortunately you will need to replace the sender...Gmpartsdirect.com will save you some bucks
Problem#3..Gm technical bulletin #00-02-35-003D addresses this issue
Problem#4..GM technical bulletin#02--06-04-054B addresses this issue
Problem #5..if you have your reciepts, there is a provision to reimburse you for previous purchases of failed parts.

So it looks like you have driven your truck for 135000+ miles and until recently gotten fairly trouble free performance..Problems #3+4 probally occured while the vehicle was still under warranty and would have been replaced or repaired at no charge to you.
Should you get another GM product?..thats your decision
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:32 PM   #12
gplush
AF Newbie

Where can I get this "technical bulletin?" I've done a couple of searches, but they haven't panned out.

Thanks,

Gail
gplush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:06 PM   #13
gouldie
AF Newbie

Gm technical bulletin #00-02-35-003D

anybody know where Gm technical bulletin #00-02-35-003D is ?
gouldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:50 PM   #14
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Re: Gm technical bulletin #00-02-35-003D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldie
anybody know where Gm technical bulletin #00-02-35-003D is ?
Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt In The Steering Wheel (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) #00-02-35-003D - (03/29/2004)
Clunking Noise Under Hood and can be felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)
2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV

1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2004 GMC Sierra

2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003-2004 HUMMER H2

With Recirculating Ball-Type Steering

This bulletin is being revised to emphasize the importance of the use of J 42640 Steering Column Anti-Rotation Pin when servicing the steering column. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003C (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Correction
DO THIS

Lubricate the intermediate shaft using P/N 26098419

Remove the intermediate shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the intermediate shaft with a Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098419.
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 07:54 PM   #15
pind
AF Regular

You will find TSB's for GM and any other makes of vehicles at www.alldata.com

Check it out, it is better to go armed with information, than to go to the "professionals" searching for information.
pind is offline   Reply With Quote