Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
mechhound
AF Regular

2000 CRV barely runs

2000 CRV was running good. 23 miles since filling gas tank. It starts and idles very slow, just fast enough to keep running. You can rev the engine up with the gas pedal. When you put it in drive or reverse it won't go. I even tried revving the engine to 1500 RPM and putting into gear, it only moves a little ways. I thought maybe bad gas, so I put in 2 containers of HEET and water dryer it didn't help. Any suggestions appreciated.
mechhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
jrsick
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 CRV barely runs

I had similar symptoms and problem was a bad throttle position sensor. I replaced just the TPS vice the whole throttle body. Car would also get jerky sometimes when driving.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
mechhound
AF Regular

Thanks for the help so far jr. I have some more questions. I was looking up genuine Honda parts online. I couldn't find a TPS for my 2000 CRV. I am guessing Honda calls the TPS an electronic air control, is this correct? Also does Honda call the fuel pressure regulator a purge control solenoid?

I had a shop come and pick up my Honda. It would no longer start at all when they came to get it. They first thought it was the fuel pump but ruled that out. Now when they try to start it the spark plugs get wet. so the TPS(or whatever Honda calls it) as you suggested would make sense, would you agree?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Levithan9
AF Newbie

Sounds like a bad coil on the distributor housing. Most symptoms are hard starting, low power, extended cranking before start, gas soaked spark plugs, and finally...cranking over but never starting.

Keep us posted.
Levithan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
mechhound
AF Regular

The shop found that the timing belt slipped a couple notches. The timing belt had been replaced maybe 50,000 miles ago at a Honda dealer. I will keep you posted.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
mechhound
AF Regular

Here's the update. I got the CRV back a couple weeks ago to the tune of $636.00, very reasonable considering the shop came and loaded it on a trailer because it's full time four wheel drive.

They replaced the coil(right on Levithan9) and other tune up parts and an oil change and of course the timing belt.

ONE MORE QUESTION: As I mentioned under #5 the timing belt had been replaced(or was supposed to have been replaced) some 50,000 miles ago at a Honda dealer. The timing belt had been replaced about 100,000 miles before this(150,000 miles ago) at an independent shop(not the one that did the recent work). The CRV currently has about 280,000 miles. I have the timing belt that just went bad and it doesn't say Honda on it. I live in the boonies, the nearest Honda dealer is 155 miles away, the Honda dealer that was supposed to have replaced the timing belt is 230 miles away.

HERE'S THE QUESTION: How do I determine if the belt that went bad is a genuine Honda belt? The belt does have writing on it but no brand name.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Levithan9
AF Newbie

I don't even think a factory timing belt from Honda will say HONDA in bold letters on it. Most car mfgs use a lot of 3rd party suppliers that make the parts the designers came up with. Since the 3rd party has the official specs sheet, they can put a HONDA label on it, and charge you out the wazoo for it.

If you can remove the upper timing cover, I will bet you 1 million dollars the timing belt will say GATES on it. The are the biggest supplier of aftermarket timing belts that I know if.
Levithan9 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V