Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:25 PM   #1
pbarthur
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to pbarthur
Exclamation 1998 Corvette Gas Gauge issue

Hey guys,

I am new to the form, but I wanted to get on and see if anyone has any idea what's going on with my 98' Corvette. It just turned 42,000 mi's looks great, runs great, etc... The only problem: When driving for extended periods of time (more than 50 miles), the gas gauge goes down to empty, "empty" light goes on, etc. If I pull over, turn the car off, then back on, the problem is resolved (gas gauge returns to proper position). This has happened to me twice in the last week and I just don't get it! A few confounding variables: it has been cold out, it seems to only happen when in cruise control. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
pbarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
WEF
AF Regular

It is a known problem and I was lucky enough to have an extended warranty. The right tank sensor was contaminated by sulfur. I used cheap Wawa gas at the time. The first thing the dealer will do is update the computers program and on the second visit, they will fix it. I tried Techron first and it helped but barely.
WEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
pbarthur
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 Corvette Gas Gauge issue

So do you think it's worth getting fixed or should I just forget about it and drive on? It really doesn't cause any problems does it? Thanks for the previous reply.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
WEF
AF Regular

Mine continually got worse to the point of being totally useless. I would get it fixed even if I didn't have the GMPP. Like I said, they will reprogram it first and very seldom does that fix it so be sure you don't get screwed for two separate service calls. Start using a Top Tier gasoline to prevent the sulphur buildup, I alternate between Texaco with Techron and Shell V Power. I have heard that the repair costs up to $1300.....ouch!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
pbarthur
AF Newbie

Thanks! So if I have it fixed, will that fix it for good, or will this be a problem again another 40k down the road?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:23 AM   #6
Ecordeddie
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1998 Corvette Gas Gauge issue

I happened to be reading this months Corvette Fever last night and they had a letter in the front of the mag from a reader that responeded to this issue. The reader said that it was caused from using gas with additives in it. He suggested using Cheveron or BP gas. He said after a tank of two of gas the problem never happened again.....
Ecordeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:32 AM   #7
WEF
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: 1998 Corvette Gas Gauge issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecordeddie
I happened to be reading this months Corvette Fever last night and they had a letter in the front of the mag from a reader that responeded to this issue. The reader said that it was caused from using gas with additives in it. He suggested using Cheveron or BP gas. He said after a tank of two of gas the problem never happened again.....
If that were actually the case, I would have been refused the repair from GMPP as would have many others. Chevron Corp owns Texaco and they both use the ADDITIVE Techron in their gas. Both gasolines are Top Tier gasolines and are recommended by GM. BTW almost all Premium fuels have additives with the probable exception of the no-name brands like Wawa and Sheetz. Do a search on corvetteforum.com and you will see the subject beaten to death. The Techron you buy at Walmart, Autozone, etc. is a concentrated form of what's in Chevron/Texaco gas and it is one of only a few aftermarket additives that aren't snake oil.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
I AM JG1
AF Newbie

I wouldnt know what to do i wish i had that car.

http://www.gmaccessoriesstore.com/
I AM JG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
LoveF1
AF Newbie

did u ever get ur fuel leveler fixed?
LoveF1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette