Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
ESO6200
AF Newbie

Buick regal help.

Hello i have a buick regal 1996 v6 3.8l and it will not pass smog. I narrowed down the problem by using a scan tool and the codes i got was P1441. From whT i searched up its the EVAP system? Im not to clear on it if some one can help that would be great thanks.

PS. I also fot a code for a throttle position low coltage sensor. .. Again thanks for any help.
ESO6200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Buick regal help.

Check the vac lines to the purge valve, that they are not cracked/broken/disconnected........if ok, usual fix is a new purge solenoid(sometimes the valve sticks open)....other possibility is shorted harness to the solenoid(check for a rub though condition)....

If your scan tool reads data, slowly depress the gas pedal and watch data......it shoild linearly increase from 0.5v to 4.5v when fully open.......if ok, do it again while having someone flex the lines near the connector to the TPS sensor....wire could be broken inside the insulation, causing a false reading...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
ESO6200
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Check the vac lines to the purge valve, that they are not cracked/broken/disconnected........if ok, usual fix is a new purge solenoid(sometimes the valve sticks open)....other possibility is shorted harness to the solenoid(check for a rub though condition)....

If your scan tool reads data, slowly depress the gas pedal and watch data......it shoild linearly increase from 0.5v to 4.5v when fully open.......if ok, do it again while having someone flex the lines near the connector to the TPS sensor....wire could be broken inside the insulation, causing a false reading...
Hey thanks for the help.. I replaced the purge valve . (Thought the soleniod n purge valve were two different things) and well idont know if that fixed it. Hooked up my scan tool and no codes were detected but a yellow ! Lit up but that may be the TPS code. Any more sugrstions? Thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Hooked up my scan tool and no codes were detected but a yellow ! Lit up but that may be the TPS code.

What does a yellow ! lit up mean?
Old 01-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
ESO6200
AF Newbie

Quote:
Hooked up my scan tool and no codes were detected but a yellow ! Lit up but that may be the TPS code.

What does a yellow ! lit up mean?
So from what i understand when the tool reads codes its either green(ready to smog) yellow(something minor to fix) and red (will probaly not pass smog) thats my understanding. But even tho the yellow stage is on no codes pop up.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Not sure about your scan tool.....

A code either happens or it doesn't......if the CE light is on, it is a "hard" or current code.....if the light was on and then went out, a code is set in history....

If you are talking about emission "flags":whenever you clear codes in a vehicle, this resets all emission flags.....this means that every code has to run and pass, for all the emission flags to be ok.....so a code has three options....it runs and passes(I assume this is your green color).......it has not run yet(yellow?).....or it has run and failed(red)....

If all your flags have not run and passed, you will fail emissions....
Old 01-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
ESO6200
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Buick regal help.

Quote:
Not sure about your scan tool.....

A code either happens or it doesn't......if the CE light is on, it is a "hard" or current code.....if the light was on and then went out, a code is set in history....

If you are talking about emission "flags":whenever you clear codes in a vehicle, this resets all emission flags.....this means that every code has to run and pass, for all the emission flags to be ok.....so a code has three options....it runs and passes(I assume this is your green color).......it has not run yet(yellow?).....or it has run and failed(red)....

If all your flags have not run and passed, you will fail emissions....

Just an UPDATE**.. Took it the smog shop and it passed.. Thanks for the help you have given me though. Really apprciate it

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal