Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
DennO
AF Newbie

Question Fuel filter changeout process

My initial post for a solution to a rough running 3.0L/6cyl has been somewhat resolved through the use of a 2 bottles of Lucas Engine Cleanout. I ran the first bottle through a half tank of reg fuel and then a second through a 2nd half tank and the rough idling seems to have gone away at least for now. I am now considering holding onto this truck (145k mi.) and would like to go forward with changing out the easily located fuel filter which is mounted to the truck's frame on the drivers side just north of the fuel tank. Is there any type of a shut off for the fuel line FROM the tank? Could this be a matter of NOT turning on the ignition so as to avoid turning on the fuel pump? This job looks pretty straight forward with easy access to the lines running to and from the filter itself. I was hoping to not make a huge fuel spill in my driveway. Perhaps a glass bottle will catch what comes from the line as it's removed from the old filter is all that will drain?
....This tank is HALF FULL.

Thanks again in advance.
DennO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Re: Fuel filter changeout process

Its going to make a mess no matter what. There should be a schrader valve (test port) on the fuel rail. You can remove the cap and press in the valve to relieve fuel pressure. Don't use a glass bottle! Get yourself a cheap drain pan which will do a mush better job catching all the run off.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
markdpro
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Fuel filter changeout process

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennO View Post
My initial post for a solution to a rough running 3.0L/6cyl has been somewhat resolved through the use of a 2 bottles of Lucas Engine Cleanout. I ran the first bottle through a half tank of reg fuel and then a second through a 2nd half tank and the rough idling seems to have gone away at least for now. I am now considering holding onto this truck (145k mi.) and would like to go forward with changing out the easily located fuel filter which is mounted to the truck's frame on the drivers side just north of the fuel tank. Is there any type of a shut off for the fuel line FROM the tank? Could this be a matter of NOT turning on the ignition so as to avoid turning on the fuel pump? This job looks pretty straight forward with easy access to the lines running to and from the filter itself. I was hoping to not make a huge fuel spill in my driveway. Perhaps a glass bottle will catch what comes from the line as it's removed from the old filter is all that will drain?
....This tank is HALF FULL.

Thanks again in advance.
Before you do this be aware. I would further disconnect the negative battery terminal and secure it. You will need a disconnect tool after you lift the duckbill safety. Have plenty of shop towels to control any spillage. Don't let your neighbour smoke while she watches you. Be aware of any sources of ignition especially gas furnaces heaters or water heaters or gas dryers. This is not a difficult job but you are splashing around a liquid that has EXPLOSIVE vapours that can travel well away from your worksite
markdpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: Fuel filter changeout process

1) Pull the fuse pump fuse, or relay.
2) Start car, and burn fuel in gas lines.
3) Replace fuel filter.
4) Put fuse pump fuse, or relay back in.

Practice being safe!
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
filter , fuel
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier