Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Marlboro Yamaha YZR500 quartet

God damn, it's been a long time since I spent some modeling time...
Now I just didn't dare start on the ZX-RR or the Spiderman builds, I needed an easier build to start up with. As I am fairly stupid I decided to go with four kits as I think they have been in my pile too long.

The quartet is formed by:

The 1999 Marlboro Yamaha YZR500, based on the ´99 Antenna 3 kit from Tamiya, using Museum Collection decals.

The 2000 Marlboro Yamaha YZR500, based on the same´99 Antenna 3 kit from Tamiya, also using Museum Collection decals.

Finally a double 2001 Marlboro Yamaha YZR500 build, based on the ´01 "Factory" kit from Tamiya (Wich is the Marlboro kit without tobacco logos) using Studio 27 and Museum collection decals. Making two kits is to represent the early and late season cowling set ups. Late season version is also representing the bike used to celebrate Max Biaggis 30th birthday.

Starting out, four kits means a lot of prep work to take place. Just cutting parts from the sprues, putting cowls and exhausts together and removing the seams from the same has taken me 8 hours... Picture below shows just how many parts there is that is painted semi gloss black...

For two of the bikes I decided to try a technique borrowed from the armour/plane sections of modeling. To higlighten the seams on the exhausts I marked them using masking tape and then sprayed semi gloss black. I just want to see if they will stand out when covered with silver paint.

Yet another trick, that I got from a visitor on my web site is to heat some sprue and stick it inside the cowlings to give you a rod to hold when spray painting the part. I haven't tried removing one of them yet but I think it will snap off fairly easy. I always had a lot of bad luck when painting cowlings, as they always tend to jump off whatever I attach them to. Hopefully this can solve the problem.

Best regards
Joel
Old 01-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
barhebraeus
AF Newbie

Re: Marlboro Yamaha YZR500 quartet

Interesting techniques Joel. I look forward to the further WIP pics...
opcorn:
barhebraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
slk320
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to slk320

You can use another technique for the weld seams - I take a thin bead of thick superglue and place in on the seam. When it dries it will have the irregular surface of a weld bead.
slk320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
ketje
AF Enthusiast

Good luck with the builds Joel. I will be following these.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

That sounds interesting, joel !!!
Marlboro is one of my favorite livery.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #6
hornet1
AF Newbie

interesting techniques from my point of view , still a lot of work to do I guess. I´m pretty currios how this weld seems will turn out after the silver is applied.
hope to upload my 1st own thread soon.
hornet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:46 AM   #7
colbro1973
AF Regular

Hi Joel, I admire the way you say you have not modelled for a while, then get stuck in with 4!!! you must be mad! your work is always worth looking at, I am interested to know what silver you intend to use on exhausts, if you yous alclad, surely the black lines will be covered when you prime them gloss black! I too have just started my first model for around a year, its the kawasaki xz-rr 06, will hopefully post some work soon. keep up the good work.
Col
colbro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for your interest and support guys! Nice to be back.

I'll use some Tamiya Silver Leaf on top of the black welds of the exhaust. I'm actually moving away from using alclad on exhausts since the aluminum effect is taken away when weathering the exhausts down. In that sence I think it is too many steps and too much $$ for the same end result. That is when you are going for some highly used exhausts, otherwise I'll stick to the alclad magic.

Today I sprayed my first cowls with Zero Brilliant Red. Some of the cowls seen to have very small scratches in them that I didn't notice when priming. I think I might have gone lazy with the sanding job ending at 1500 grit. Perhaps some of the cowls will have to be repainted.
/Joel
Old 01-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I'll show some progress pics and also point to the scratch issue from the above post.

First, a quick feed back on the sprue mounting technique. It works just fine as long as you dont press the heated sprue TOO HARD to the cowl to be attached. This will warp the cowl part accordingly to the amount of preassure applied. So go easy on this one.

Here's most of the cowls for the ´99 and ´00 versions painted red. Lower and side cowls will be painted white first.

This is how the Zero paint shall turn out,

but this is how it looks on the parts where I've worked with 600/800 grit to remove the putty. I have gone over them with 1500 grit also but obviously that wasn't enough. Clear paint will probably not sort the issue so I guess it is back to primer and sand it down.

These older yzr/nsr machines had a lot of stuff that was drilled out to lessen the weight, this is a picture of the frame (dark so that the holes shall be visible);

Same goes with the brake discs but now it is to lessen the heat. Drilling out the ventilated discs are a basic detailing tip and with this dark, backlighted, image it comes obvious why it is an easy way to raise the realism of the kit.

That's it for now.
/Joel
Old 01-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker

Wow. I thought it was hard enough for me to do one motorcycle at a time, let alone 4 of them. I drilled the rotors out on the Ducati Im working on, and it definitely makes it look so much better & more realistic. Never would have thought about drilling out the frame like that. Obviously thats not something that would really be done much on a street bike, but definitely something to look for on a motoGP bike. Awesome job, I cant wait to see the progress on these.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
Ole_L
AF Regular

You are totally mad... 4 bikes at the time... must be the cold weather up there...!!

...on the other hand, it will be fun to follow
Ole_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
ketje
AF Enthusiast

great work so far
Old 01-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Did the red cowls on the 01 bikes today and they turned out much better then the ´99 ´00 ones, no ugly scratches. After all, I think I'll try and clear coat the scratchy ones and then try and polish them out... See how that goes. For the white portions I've used Zero pearl white. See how that looks or if I shall repaint them with solid white.
Also did the rims using Zero Gloss Black. Fairly good gloss paint. SOmetimes hard to paint those rims gloss black as the sir flow seems to dry some parts of the rim too quick as you paint the others. Some of the spokes can use a mild polish.
Tomorrow I'll show you some pictures and hopefully paint the upper red portions of the side cowls on the ´99-´00 bikes as they are going to get the Marlboro "triangle". Hopefully they are pretty easy to mask off.
Until then.
Best regards
JOel
Old 01-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
rrutherford
AF Regular

Hi Joel,
get hold of the Crazy Modelers sanding pack with 5 grades, best thing I have ever used. I even use on the 1:5 TZ350 alloy and brass.

The cold must have numbed you a bit hence 4 kits to warms you up, lol.

Rod.
rrutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:10 AM   #15
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I'll try and get hold of those sticks til my ext build. By the way, I think I have some Micromesh stix somewhere that I never got to use...

Masking off some owls right now, hope to show some pics soon.
/J

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes