Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
MindFreak5150
AF Newbie

Removing Entertainment/Climate facia?

A few nights ago, the light on the driver's side slider (on my 2002 Premiere) dual climate control went out. I'm assuming there isn't a separate bulb just for this slider and that it's likely to be a faulty connection. I tried to remove the facia by unscrewing the screws located at the cup holder drawer but the facia only comes out about an inch. That just left me with the option of trying to feel for loose wiring between the CD player and Climate Control unit using a screwdriver. Are there some other screws or clips that I haven't found to enable the whole CD/Climate mock-wooden facia to come out so I can get a look behind the climate control unit?

Also (coincidentally?) since doing the above, the a/c doesn't seem to be blowing cold air out. Is it possible that I've just loosened a connection whilst I was trying to find the cause of the missing light? The a/c is definitely still coming on (there's a slight whirring noise a second or two after the a/c button is pressed that stops when the button is pressed a second time) but isn't chilling the air from the vents.

Thanks in advance!
MindFreak5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Re: Removing Entertainment/Climate facia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindFreak5150
... I tried to remove the facia by unscrewing the screws located at the cup holder drawer but the facia only comes out about an inch. ... Are there some other screws or clips that I haven't found to enable the whole CD/Climate mock-wooden facia to come out so I can get a look behind the climate control unit?
If it is like my 2001 Venture, there are two screws (that point UP) behind the cup holder that hold the plastic pieces in. They are a pain to get to because you have to remove the lower console to get to them. And then you can only reach them by laying down across the floor board. Not fun if you are not a small person.

Quote:
Also (coincidentally?) since doing the above, the a/c doesn't seem to be blowing cold air out. Is it possible that I've just loosened a connection whilst I was trying to find the cause of the missing light? The a/c is definitely still coming on (there's a slight whirring noise a second or two after the a/c button is pressed that stops when the button is pressed a second time) but isn't chilling the air from the vents.

Thanks in advance!
You may have pulled some wires that block movement of the air controls. When you have the insulation panels removed (to get to the screws I mentioned above), look at both sides of the console while you operate the controls and you will probably see the problem.

Good Luck & Take Care,
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
MindFreak5150
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregA
If it is like my 2001 Venture, there are two screws (that point UP) behind the cup holder that hold the plastic pieces in. They are a pain to get to because you have to remove the lower console to get to them. And then you can only reach them by laying down across the floor board. Not fun if you are not a small person.
So is the lower console just held in with clips? I don't want to try to pry it off only to find it was screwed into place and I snap something! I tried to see whether the cup holder itself could be removed but didn't see any retaining clips there, so I'm guessing that stays as a part of the console? Being a little over 6' tall, I'm definitely not looking forward to doing this!

Quote:
You may have pulled some wires that block movement of the air controls. When you have the insulation panels removed (to get to the screws I mentioned above), look at both sides of the console while you operate the controls and you will probably see the problem.

Good Luck & Take Care,
I'm hoping it's something as simple as a loose wire or something. It seems a hell of a coincidence that the a/c stops the moment I start feeling for loose wires back there!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Greg. I'll let you know how I get on with the console (probably tomorrow now)
Old 04-12-2007, 11:40 PM   #4
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
So is the lower console just held in with clips? I don't want to try to pry it off only to find it was screwed into place and I snap something! I tried to see whether the cup holder itself could be removed but didn't see any retaining clips there, so I'm guessing that stays as a part of the console? Being a little over 6' tall, I'm definitely not looking forward to doing this!
I believe there are 2 or 4 screws at the back of the lower console, as viewed from the front. I don't remember how many right now.

My lower console has a pull-out drawer and I believe you can see the screws when the drawer is pulled all the way out. I have some pictures of the interior here. Click on the picture of the console for a bigger view.
Quote:
I'm hoping it's something as simple as a loose wire or something. It seems a hell of a coincidence that the a/c stops the moment I start feeling for loose wires back there!
Once you have everything apart, you should be able see and hear the control arms move around. You might try switching the controls to blow on the floor or both floor and dash vents and see if that makes a difference.

If the compressor is coming on, you should be OK. Its just a matter of getting the air to flow properly.

Take Care,
Old 04-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
MindFreak5150
AF Newbie

Hmmm, I'm sure you hate people like me, but I can't get the lower console to move at all. That may have something to do with the fact that there's a DVD player rather than a drawer down there. It also now seems that although the blower is coming on full power when turned up to 5, it's not blowing particularly cold air out (In fact it's definitely 'lukewarm' air even WITH the a/c button depressed, but I don't want to cross-post so I'll try to find something on that elsewhere)

Last edited by MindFreak5150; 04-13-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Yeah - the DVD player probably holds the lower console in. Something else to be removed, I suspect. I don't think I can help you with that.

I will watch for other posts concerning the AC.

Take Care,

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette