Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
walkac3
AF Newbie

Angry 1989 ciera 2.8

I had a problem when I would crank up car she would crank. After making a few stops , turning of car and getting back in she would not crank. After letting her sit a few hours she would fire up. I have changed ignition module and coil packs, all brand new. I have changed plugs and wires. I also h
changed every sensor on the car expect egr value and o2 sensors. I dont have a cat so why bother. Now I can crank car but she will idle very high, then cut off. I then can not crank her up. I get god fuel pressure. What can be the problem. Im already 450 into the car. PLEASE HELP ME.
walkac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 1989 ciera 2.8

What do you mean not crank, to us that means the starter will not turn the engine, not that it cranks but won't start.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
walkac3
AF Newbie

It will crank but won't start. If I put a rag soaked with gas over the air filter she will try to run
Old 06-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

what is the fuel pressure at the rail when this occurs, if good check, the injectors with a noid lite, the gas rag is not a good idea.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
walkac3
AF Newbie

A mechanic buddy did that. I don't really know how to do all that fuel pressure checking. But he told me I need a new fuel pump. So I brought one. I can do it myself to save money. Do you think it might be injectors. I have seen that in online searches. I don't know. The car is a one owner every part I have replaced was from 1989. It was my grandmother's car.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

When the car won't start, spray carb cleaner into the intake....if it starts and runs as long as you spray, then it's a fuel problem......a fuel pressure gauge will tell you if it's the pump.....if you have good pressure and it doesn't start, then you need to check if the injectors are bad or causing the problem.....this is multiport, so one bad injector can take out 3 injectors....

But when an injector goes bad, it stays bad....it sure sounds like the fuel pump....

even though you are doing this yourself to save money, it could cost you more.....that year car, a lot of rust problems....the bolts to the straps that hold the tank......the lines that come off it.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
walkac3
AF Newbie

So keep the pump. I go and pick it up when I get off work today. I will try and start on it tonite when I get off of my other job

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series