Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
tylot3
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to tylot3
Power locks partially work

Hi have a 94 grand am SE 4- door with the 3.1 V6. My power lock buttons are not working on both the driver and passenger doors. The locks automatically lock when I put the car into gear, but they don't automatically unlock when I turn the car off and the power lock buttons do not work. I checked the fuses and they look ok. Is there a relay somewhere, and if so where is it? Any other ideas? Thanks.
tylot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:47 PM   #2
e2helper
AF Regular

Re: Power locks partially work

Hi,

Clear something up. Does your vehicle have a factory remote keyless entry system? Or any aftermarket system? If neither it simplifies things.

The 1994 Grand Am was the first year that the automatic unlock feature was done (92 and 93 just did Auto Lock). There is a separate module in vehicle that does that function. That is not your problem but thought I would mention it.

The door lock and unlock function is actually performed by the same "Dual Coil" relay. It switches the main power from 20 Amp DR LK 2 fuse for door lock motors. The fuse is obviously OK because your door lock function is working. However the relay or wiring to the relay for the unlock function might not be working correctly.

The relay is attached to body with a plastic clip on left side of vehicle underneath the instrument panel.

The door lock switches are fed by a separate 10 Amp DR LK 1 fuse. You checked that one also correct?

If it wasn't for your door lock switches not working for LOCK as well as UNLOCK I would think your problem might be the door lock relay or the associated wiring for the unlock command (white wire).

Post back with some other comments and I can give you a few more suggestions. I am hoping you can locate the relay with info I provided but if you need more info on its location I can get more specific.
e2helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:33 AM   #3
tylot3
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Power locks partially work

Hey thank you very much for the help. My buttons dont work for either lock or unlock. they don't work at all. I have no keyless entry whatsoever. Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:21 AM   #4
e2helper
AF Regular

Thanks. I know you said you checked fuses. Did you find and check the 2 DK LK fuses that I mentioned? Also the automatic unlock feature added a fuse that customer could pull out if they didn't want the auto unlock feature to work called DR UNLK. Double check that all 3 of these fuses are installed and not blown. We know from your description that only the 20 Amp DR LK 2 fuse is definitely working.

I think this is a picture of your fuseblock
http://www.geocities.com/raj380/mali...afuseblock.pdf

Based on fact that both of your door lock switches do not work but your automatic door locks still works I am still suspicious of the DR LK 1 fuse.

Next step would be to make sure that the door lock switches are getting power (orange wire). There are a few common points for the power feed before it splits up to go to each switch and we would start there if you don't find power at one of the switches.

But check the fuses again first
Old 08-17-2004, 10:29 PM   #5
Tom94gaGT
AF Enthusiast

are the buttons not working at all or are they just not unlocking the doors. On my 94 the actual plastic piece on the door that controls the lock was shot on 2 of my doors, the plastic wears down on the back and they cannont catch when the rod is moving. If the buttons sound like they are still actually switching teh locks then i would replace the plastics parts, if not then sorry i couldnt help!
Tom94gaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:16 AM   #6
tylot3
AF Newbie

no, the switches don't work at all. But in regard to the fuse box, mine does not look like that. I have just a door lock and door unlock fuse. There is no fuse in door unlock, but i tried putting one in and it doesn't even have the metal contacts in the spot to hold it, so i just have the single door unlock fuse. 2 nights before this whole thing happened, my dash lights did not turn on when my headlights were turned on. I turned my headlights off and back on and they came on. Maybe this had something to do with it. I know GM has a rep for bad electrical systems.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:34 AM   #7
e2helper
AF Regular

OK,

Sorry I had selected fuse panel information from a slightly later model and hoped it was similar to yours. Guess I was wrong (I now remember that there was a change in 1996 model, d'oh). Maybe your vehicle doesn't have the door unlock feature then if your wiring didn't support this fuse? I thought it started in 2004..........I guess first thing it to figure out why the switches are not working.

If I can find more accurate info on your vehicle I will post again
Old 08-20-2004, 03:56 AM   #8
charleshenryjr
AF Newbie

94 ga se 3.1 sohc

mine did the exact same thing. had a guy help me with it now they unlock and my panel buttons don't function either. then i have to lean over and lock the other door. the grass is always greener, brother.!!
(what he did was at the fuse box, too. i had tried to put in that same fuse, (i have the owner's manual(e-bay) and they are all marked. the fuse didn't fit. my friend made it fit and it worked. my battery died the next day, i had to get a jump.(thought it was the alt(wasn't)
so after a new battery and a new a/c hose this happend after heavy a/c use
first i had noticed no power off the line, sometimes. i just got the car so i thought i was in third which would explain the slow start. turns out i really was in first.
then... my engine just went out. fried. soon after repairing and heavy use of the a/c, pontiac dealer says $440 to get car running to perform a diagnostic, also quoted $5k for new delco engine, didn't research rebuild or used install.
p.s. also 94 ga, se, quad, sohc
charleshenryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:47 PM   #9
Slade901
Banned

1994 PONTIAC GRAND AM L4 138 3 2.3L MFI SOHC QUAD - Power Door Lock Does Not Work.

Problem: The power door lock switches on the driver side and passenger side does not lock or unlock. The door locks automatically when the vehicle is running and the transmission is put in Drive. However, the door locks does not automatically unlock either when the transmission is put in park and engine turned off.
Solution: I checked the fuses for the DR UNLK 10 amps fuse and DR LK 20amps fuse. The two fuses DR UNLK and DR LK are both fine. I did not remove all fuses because some of them are pretty straight forward and not related to the power door locks. I did want to necessarily unplug all the fuses as they may have preset memory that I have to reprogram again. I went online to check for other possible solution and hints from other individuals who have the same problem like I have.

It turns out to be a blown fuse that controls the cigarette lighter is also used by the power door locks.

http://members.fortunecity.com/slade...ockProblem.pdf

Last edited by Slade901; 11-06-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Slade901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
spaztastic
AF Newbie

Hello, I had a similar problem. I checked the fuses dr unlck 10amp, dr lock 20amp, both fine. However, I finally had no choice and checked all other fuses and the 15 amp fuse labeled "CTSY" was bad! So, check that fuse. If a similar problem has happend to you, it could be all you need.
lol
spaztastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Spaz, you have to look at the "dates" of the posts....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
spaztastic
AF Newbie

Yeah, I saw that the posts are 6-7 years old. I wanted to make sure people knew to check every fuse first, not just the dr lck/dr unlck. I was looking online to see if there was a similar problem, and there was, with no confirmed solution. Not many 18 year old cars out there anymore but... my car is: 1994 Grand-Am SE 3.1 4 DR. Replacing the CTSY fuse solved my issue. Sorry for being 6 years late.
spaztastic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM