Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 04:57 PM   #1
WayOutCat
AF Enthusiast

Nissan 350Z the Best New V6? even in snow? : )

i'm cross-posting this question i put up in "Car Buying Q&A" -- i'm guessing that it may be ok here. apologies to the moderators if i'm stepping over the line.

i wrote a lot more detail into that one, since i'm not sure a discussion of new cars belongs here, and i've posted in the wrong forum before, so i'm trying to be polite. please check out the original if you have an opinion! i mentioned the Mazda 6, the Tiburon, the GTI, the Accord...

anyone have any thoughts on the new crop of (mostly Japanese) V6s?

i can't seem to find anything that can beat the Nissan 350Z. or even come close to it. especially when we stay in the believable price range.

I'm excited that the Japanese car companies are finally using larger engines!

: )
WayOutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Nissan 350Z the Best New V6? even in snow? : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOutCat
i'm cross-posting this question i put up in "Car Buying Q&A" -- i'm guessing that it may be ok here. apologies to the moderators if i'm stepping over the line.

i wrote a lot more detail into that one, since i'm not sure a discussion of new cars belongs here, and i've posted in the wrong forum before, so i'm trying to be polite. please check out the original if you have an opinion! i mentioned the Mazda 6, the Tiburon, the GTI, the Accord...

anyone have any thoughts on the new crop of (mostly Japanese) V6s?

i can't seem to find anything that can beat the Nissan 350Z. or even come close to it. especially when we stay in the believable price range.

I'm excited that the Japanese car companies are finally using larger engines!

: )
i hope the japanese find better ways to maintain good gas mileage into their v6/v8 engines, so they canbe more mainstream, maybe honda should have a v8 hah
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 10:41 PM   #3
del
móddə rąytər

Re: Re: Nissan 350Z the Best New V6? even in snow? : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxthuggie
i hope the japanese find better ways to maintain good gas mileage into their v6/v8 engines, so they canbe more mainstream, maybe honda should have a v8 hah

well honda's developing systems where the only times all cylinders fire is during acceleration and will be putting them in various upcoming models. i forget the name they have for it. but when you're just cruising, say only 3 cylinders are firing as opposed to all 6 thus saving gas. i can see this same technology finding its way into a possible honda V8 where they would get V6-like gas mileage. from what i've read, the biggest thing holding honda back from mass producing a V8 motor for their street cars is the fact that they're all about environmentally friendly and fuel efficient cars. and V8's don't particularly fit that description.

anyway, sorry to the originator of the thread for getting off topic. about japanese V6's, i think japan has perfected the 4 cylinder, perhaps they can do the same with the V6. the VQ series motors from nissan are great motors no doubt and a lot of people would say they are the best V6's from japan. best is relative, but they are good engines.
del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Rakshas
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Nissan 350Z the Best New V6? even in snow? : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by del
well honda's developing systems where the only times all cylinders fire is during acceleration and will be putting them in various upcoming models. i forget the name they have for it. but when you're just cruising, say only 3 cylinders are firing as opposed to all 6 thus saving gas. i can see this same technology finding its way into a possible honda V8 where they would get V6-like gas mileage.
V8's already have this system , only one I can think of off the top of my head is the new 300C's hemi.
Rakshas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:32 PM   #5
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

the vq is a great engine. but one thing that is annoying my about today's engines is all the plastic that is covering them. it looks so stupid.

but about what del said about cutting off cylinders, i think that is a good idea but it wouldn't help some of us with a lead foot

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:56 PM   #6
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
The cylinder cutoff system has been experimented many of times before in the past. Most of these systems however; have been problematic in the past. Honda seems to have the best design so far.

With the VQ, I think its a great engine. Time will only tell the whole story, but I think its going to be another good one.

On the contrary with gas milage, there are some V8s that do particularly well in milage. The LS1/6 have been known to get better milage than a lot of smaller displacment sports cars (especially when cruising).
Kurtdg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 06:46 PM   #7
Pick
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtdg19
With the VQ, I think its a great engine. Time will only tell the whole story, but I think its going to be another good one.
Already is. Ward's ten best 7 years running.
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 06:59 PM   #8
WayOutCat
AF Enthusiast

well, thanks for the replies. in another thread i've already gotten enough feedback to realize i can't afford even a used Japanese V6. oh well.
WayOutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:17 AM   #9
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nacho_nissan Send a message via MSN to nacho_nissan Send a message via Yahoo to nacho_nissan

actually, the VQ has been “top 10 engines“ 10 years in a row! may not be the best V6..but its a top of the line engine!
nacho_nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:46 AM   #10
kfoote
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtdg19
On the contrary with gas milage, there are some V8s that do particularly well in milage. The LS1/6 have been known to get better milage than a lot of smaller displacment sports cars (especially when cruising).
The milage on the US V8's, most noticably with the GM cars, is due entirely to gearing to get around the mileage requirements. I beleve some of the C5 Corvettes are listed at around 30 MPG highway. These tests are conducted at 55MPH in top gear, which on the C5 is somewhere around 1200 RPM.
kfoote is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons