Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 04:31 PM   #211
Okhobieman
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Re: Prius feedback? maintenance, collisions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainApollo
No maintenence issues really. Unlike normal cars and diesel, the Prius does not need timing belt changes, transmission maintenence, etc. Even the A/C is electric so it can have varying air compression speeds to maximize efficiency. I live in the midwest and the A/C is amazing. if you change the temp by one degree, the automatic a/c knows where to flow the air and also i can feel the temperature change. The A/C feels really good on hot days. Also since its electric, it gets colder a lot quicker. It doesnt need to run off the gasoline or diesel engine for power (and it doesnt drain power that way).

there really are no hidden costs, the battery has been known to go beyond 200k miles and i have no knowledge of any Prius needing a battery replacement. However, for the NORMAL accesorry 12v battery, they sometimes need to be replaced when they are drained because a door is left ajar overnight.

Like I said before, the a/c is awesome because it doesn't draw power from the gasoline engine. therefore even in 98 degree weather, you get instant a/c.

Also you'll be getting better mpg in hotter weather just because the engine isn't required to warm up. around 50 mpg is the average for Prius drivers. you can check out www.greenhybrid.com that has a real database where people list their mpg. The lowest anyone has gotten was 38.

Pertaining to maleskyrocket's opinion regarding mpg, I beleive he only owned his Prius for a few short months in winter which is already a double whammy. One because of the winter formula of gas which decreases mpg, and also because cold weather causes the car to use more gas during warm up. Secondly, he did not allow his Prius to break in so the engine was not loose. Even with 3 months of driving at 3000 miles, the engine is not at optimum efficiency.

To mauleskyrocket: you say usually the individual fills to the brim and then refills to the click in order to achieve 50 on the highway.. How are you going to justify this statement? how do you know they didn't use the display instead? I find your last comment purely unjustifiable with no evidence to support your theory and it shows your bias. Even your arguement on Prius advertising showing erroneous and high fuel economy is bunk because the only Prius advertising that has been on TV was the one on the superbowl, in which there were NO mpg figures. If you are referring to how the sticker on the car is erroneous, think about how the government requires every car to list that. Its NOT advertising. Salesmen also have nothing to do with it, that's the dealer's problem if they claim the Prius WILL get it. Also, notice how Popular Mechanics compared a manual TDI to the Prius' CVT. Manual TDI gets better mpg than the automatic and it still falls short of the Prius' mpg by 1.6mpg. Needless to say, the Prius is also larger than the Jetta TDI as well as heavier so its not as if it was the best comparison in the world. I agree that the Jetta probably handles much better, however, I choose safety, convenience, and luxury over a pure driving experience that would last less than 20 minutes on boring 40 mph roads with stoplights.

Back to Okhobieman: if you have questions, the best place to ask them would be priuschat.com where real owners can tell you their own experiences.

Safety: The prius was tested by Europe's test center three times more than a normal car because it utilizes an industry's first: Ultra High Strength Steel on the B-pillars. They found the car to be number 1 in its class for safety as well as number 1 overall for chlid occupant safety. The NHTSA tested the Prius without curtain/side airbags and it still received a 5 star frontal, 4 star side impact rating. The article is right http://www.newstreet.it/home/article_Id_627.html here.
[color=blue]Thank YOU very much for the knowledge transfer!
I continue to gather information and am corresponding with dealers via the internet option for purchasing, from the below dealer this is his quote when asked about price in Oklahoma City , Okalahoma, USA (OKC):

"You can pretty much get one in OKC at or VERY near MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price). I'll let you know as we get Prius's that come in that aren't sold."

MIKE SULLIVAN Internet Sales Manager Dub Richardson Toyota, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Dealership: 405-721-1911 Direct Line: 405-506-6261
Toll Free: 877-921-1911
Okhobieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:50 PM   #212
mauleskyrocket
AF Enthusiast

Bunk

What a bunch of bunk! The Prius I had was in the summer and had 6K on it when I sold it and bought a Saab. It is not only a car which caters to mpg persons who know very little about the topic but also has legions of owners who live in denial of the cars shortcomings. Go on any thru roadway and you will find them----in the slow lane--trying to get the mpg they thought they would get.
mauleskyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:35 PM   #213
Okhobieman
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Re: Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauleskyrocket
What a bunch of bunk! The Prius I had was in the summer and had 6K on it when I sold it and bought a Saab. It is not only a car which caters to mpg persons who know very little about the topic but also has legions of owners who live in denial of the cars shortcomings. Go on any thru roadway and you will find them----in the slow lane--trying to get the mpg they thought they would get.
Good evening Mauleskyrocket, I hope you have enjoyed a good meal with family and are well.

It is difficult to respond to emotions vs logic and facts. I understand your pain but can not share the emotional response.

Please share in the discussion by contributing on the 4 topics. In this manner you will be able to present your position with adequate substance to gain support of your opinion. OK?

What knowledge do you have to contribute?

OK, as for myself, the lake forecast is glassy conditions for kayaking with a hot cup of java and earphones tomorrow morning. Good night and best regards..... PS: she is driving in the fast lane tonight ....
Old 02-25-2005, 10:15 PM   #214
mauleskyrocket
AF Enthusiast

Re: Bunk

deal with facts. You speak like Kerry.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:05 PM   #215
CaptainApollo
AF Regular

Re: Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauleskyrocket
lets assume 6k would be around 6 months. when did you get your saab? the post i see is around june/july which would mean you got your prius in january. January through june/july is hardly all summer. Its more like winter/spring and 3 weeks of summer. Also, can you say that 6k will fully break in the engine? people on the forums say 10k. The only bunk I see is how you generalize Prius drivers and constantly insult them. Also, you are HARDLY dealing with facts at all. You think we live in denial because of the car's shortcomings? I say, it has far exceeded my expectations in comfort and luxury. Even if I were getting the low 38 mpg you "advertise", its still double what I was getting before with my old car. PLUS its larger than the older car. I don't see any denial in being happy with my purchase.
CaptainApollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 04:11 PM   #216
Okhobieman
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainApollo
lets assume 6k would be around 6 months. when did you get your saab? the post i see is around june/july which would mean you got your prius in january. January through june/july is hardly all summer. Its more like winter/spring and 3 weeks of summer. Also, can you say that 6k will fully break in the engine? people on the forums say 10k. The only bunk I see is how you generalize Prius drivers and constantly insult them. Also, you are HARDLY dealing with facts at all. You think we live in denial because of the car's shortcomings? I say, it has far exceeded my expectations in comfort and luxury. Even if I were getting the low 38 mpg you "advertise", its still double what I was getting before with my old car. PLUS its larger than the older car. I don't see any denial in being happy with my purchase.

HI, just back from kayaking in the rain, spring is eternal and the redbuds are blooming .....

This is the type of data I found in www.consumerreports.org. Check it out by logging on and looking in auto section. Their opinion I value, and I urge you to drop the emotion and focus on the facts as you so pointedly requested. OK?

Thank you again for motivating everyone to show you the right side of the road is not always the slow lane ..... bye.....

Reliability history
Toyota Prius
97 98 99 00 01 02 03 04
Engine
Cooling
Fuel
Ignition
Transmission
Electrical
A/C
Suspension
Brakes
Exhaust
Power equipment
Paint/Trim/Rust
Body integrity
Body hardware
Reliability Verdict

Safety information

Safety belts:
Pretensioners, front/rear Yes/no
Center-rear 3-point

Air bags:
Occupant sensing system Not available
Side air bags, front/rear Optional/no
Head protection air bags Optional
Accident alert system Not available

Active safety features:
Antilock brakes Standard
Traction control Standard
Stability control Optional
Daytime running lights Not available
Tire pressure monitor Available

Crash tests:
Gov't front-crash test, driver:
Gov't front-crash test, front passenger:
Gov't side-crash test, driver
Gov't side-crash test, rear passenger
IIHS offset crash test NA

Specifications
Drive wheels
Front
Seating
2 front, 3 rear
Engines available
1.5-liter 4 (76+67 hp)
Transmissions available
CVT
Fuel
Fuel type Regular
EPA city/highway, mpg 60/51
Fuel refill capacity, gal. 11.9
Dimensions and weight
Length, in. 175
Width, in. 68
Wheelbase, in. 106
Curb weight, lb. 2,950
Percent weight, front/rear 59/41
Typical towing ability, lb. NR
Old 02-26-2005, 04:51 PM   #217
mauleskyrocket
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Bunk

I hope you all enjoy the Prius if you own one. I would just drive a diesel first---and you will probably not buy the Duracell powered car. Be nice. Be polite.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:55 PM   #218
statultra
AF Newbie

ef

duracell? , come on you just dont know jack about the prius, much less any car since you own a cheap econobox. how about lets see your pictures of the SAAB and the prius that you claimed to have?

your basically a bunch of bunk.

hybrids are the future
Diesels aren't

let me see pictures?
and i bet when u reply mauleskyrocket, you would just ignore my statement about pictures and say " Prius is a bunch of bunk u kerry retards"

therefore since we cant change YOUR views on the prius, just stop arguing since there are much more people out there that support the technology than you
statultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:13 AM   #219
mauleskyrocket
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Bunk

With respect, it's "many more people" not "much more people"--vegatz?
Old 03-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #220
mauleskyrocket
AF Enthusiast

Interior

Local dealers are urging a leatherette dealer option. Looks quite good. Apparantly, original upholstery tends to "rib" on seat edge ---even with minor use. Recommend leatherette.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:17 PM   #221
CaptainApollo
AF Regular

Re: Prius--my view

haven't had a problem and i'm over 200 lbs
CaptainApollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:19 AM   #222
mauleskyrocket
AF Enthusiast

Re: Interior

Not a big problem. It is just that contoured seats "rib" on edges very easily in cloth. The $1,000-1500 option seems worth it if someone plans on keeping the battery car (joke).
Old 03-15-2005, 11:03 PM   #223
Black Hole Sun
AF Newbie

Re: Prius--my view

In my opinion, diesel (whether it's regular or the new bio-diesel) is still fuel, and it will still be depleted like any other fuel over time
Black Hole Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:07 AM   #224
mauleskyrocket
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Prius--my view

True but under thermodynamics anything which results in gaining power will likewise be depleted in time.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:16 AM   #225
mauleskyrocket
AF Enthusiast

Consumer Reports

There have been 2 interestings post on the Prius Board. One dealing with height and performance and one with Consumer Reports. On the performance issue--don't buy one. If you enjoy driving and drive v-8's you will stomp the Prius---your mileage will be terrible---you will be sorry you bought it.
Re Consumer Reports----because it is viewed as green it is highlighted. Otherwise the usual shoddy job of CR.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General