Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > M3
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 06:06 AM   #1
fs_pjo
AF Newbie

2003 M3 vs Skyline GT-R R34 Vspec

Hi! I would like to know the real 0-60 mph of 2003 M3 SMG II and Skyline GT-R R34 Vspec. Different magazines and webs gave different numbers.

Also I would like to know which is more fun to drive and faster in steep hill roads.

I own 2000 R34 Vspec, Metalic Blue same as the Igor's icon.

I am also considering 996. In my country, Japan, R34 is cheaper than in US or in UK, but M3 is much more expensive here. Probably same as R34 in US.

One thing I dislike about R34 is its poor interior. Everything else is fine.
The residual value of R34 is still very high here because R34 is no longer available and the new R35 is expected to hit the market in 2 or 3 years.

Thanks in advance.

fs_pjo
fs_pjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 10:38 PM   #2
MB38
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MB38
Re: 2003 M3 vs Skyline GT-R R34 Vspec

christ, you own an R34.

[masturbates furiously]

ahh, that was terrific.

A stock GT-R will get to 60mph in 5.07 seconds. The same driver, behind the wheel of a 2004 M3, got there in 5.4 seconds. That's a manual M3, of course. I've driven a 5.2 in a SMG M3, nothing better, using launch control and sport mode in the S6 program. There's no driver interaction with that number. You hold the pedal down with launch mode activated. It'll keep itself at 3000 RPM. When you release the stick, it launches the car. Keep the pedal to the floor, and shift when the shift lights say so. I'm a 200lb driver, the spare was in the trunk, and it had the navigation system. I'd say the absolute best time you could achieve in a stock SMG M3 would be between 5.0 and 5.1 seconds. In other words, the GT-R and the M3 will run neck and neck, depending on the temperature of the day.

For the record, both of these vehicles were on 101 octane fuel.

Of course, if you were to take your GT-R, as I'm sure you have, and perform even minor modifications, you would absolutely destroy the M3 in every test.

Moving on, the M3 is a tail happy car. It's a perfectly balanced car that can be coaxed into a four-wheel drift around a corner by the right driver (with DSC deactivated). It depends on what you want on the mountain roads; perfect control (the GT-R), or sliding fun (the M3).

I'm gonna say keep the Skyline. If you want a fun RWD car, the M3 is absolutely terrific, but it can't beat a Skyline. When put up against the 996, I would go with the M3... save money, have four seats and a trunk, etc. The M3 is a wonderful car.

I hope the answer to your question was somewhere in this post.
MB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 07:49 AM   #3
fs_pjo
AF Newbie

Thanks

Thanks MB38 for the valuable info.

fs_pjo
fs_pjo is offline   Reply With Quote