Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
4x4 blazerguy
AF Regular

Question Aftermarket Trans Cooler Install ??????

We have a 1997 Blazer 4x4 with a heavy factory tow package. The factory cooling coil doesn't do a great deal good when towing. So I decided to buy a B&M SuperCooler that is an 8"x11" 13,000 BTU.
My question is I was thinking of using both by cutting the top loop out of the factory cooler & splicing in the B&M at that point. That would allow the fluid to travel out of the trans into the B&M then exit & travel through the factory coil & back to the tranny.
Any opinions, or advice, or warning in doing it this way?

Thanks
4x4 blazerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Re: Aftermarket Trans Cooler Install ??????

The more transmission cooling the better! Run the outlet of the factory cooler to the input of the aftermarket cooler. The outlet of the aftermarket cooler goes to the tramsmission. You will get more cooling doing it that way because the radiator equalizes engine coolant and transmission fluid from heat transfer in the radiator. The aftermarket cooler mounts in front of the radiator so heat transfer is not an issue.

No need to cut anything, auto parts stores have the fittings that connect to the radiator, and barbed ends for connecting the rubber lines.
old_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Re: Aftermarket Trans Cooler Install ??????

Absolutely install both. Do like Old Master says. Let the fluid go from the tranny to the radiator first, then run it through your new cooler on its way back to the tranny.

You should not have to cut anything. My kit came with rubber tranny hose. If yours didn't come with any, most Auto parts store will carry it. It will say Transmission oil line right along the rubber.

I am like you, I bought as big of a cooler as I could find. Very wise investment. The majority of tranny failures can be prevented with Oil coolers and regular maintenance.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
4x4 blazerguy
AF Regular

Smile Re: Aftermarket Trans Cooler Install ??????

Our Blazer has both a radiator cooler & there is a about 4' of tubing without fins in front of the condenser after the radiator cooler. It is factory & I'm assumming this was a factory cooler it is about four coils. This truck came with the 8 wire trailer conn., 2" reciever, along with this added trans tubing. The light tow package came with only 5 wire conn. as I understand from the owners manual. So I will use basically all 3 coolers.

Thanks
4x4 blazerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Performance