Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Old School or New School
Old School 4 66.67%
New School 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Old School vs. New School

In this case, Old School isn't really that old, because I am speaking of the cars that dominated the US import scene in the 90s till this day. The cars I am speaking of are the Japanese Twin Turbos. The Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, Mazda RX-7, Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, and the Mitsubishi 3000GT (GTO) VR4. But now there is a New School and these cars should not be taken lightly, and these cars I am speaking of are the Mitsubishi Evolution, Subaru WRX STI, Nissan 350Z, Mazda RX-8, and yes even the Mitsubishi turboed Dodge Neon SRT-4. The Old School has been around longer, so of course alot of Supras, RX-7s, and etc. are in the 12s, 11s, and 10s street legal. But what's impressive is the number of New School cars that are in the 12s, 11s, and yes some in the 10s, and they haven't even been around in the USA for more than 2 years. I hear less and less about the Old School, and more and more pages of the tuning magazines are being dedicated to the New Class. What do you think as far as just performance (meaning no styling or etc.)? Do you think the New Class is now the king of imports? If not now, 2 years from now, will the New School take out the Old School? Is there a day when the EVO and STI will strike more fear at a drag strip than a Supra or RX-7?
3000ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:15 PM   #2
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nacho_nissan Send a message via MSN to nacho_nissan Send a message via Yahoo to nacho_nissan
Re: Old School vs. New School

...no stock street japan car runs 10's stock! or even 11's. but i would give my vote to the new skool! more advanced technology. just a quick example: the 300ZX TT runs 14's. 3.0l Twin Turbo. new skool! the 350Z runs 14's with just .5l of more displacement and no turbos! evo and STi are not really drag cars, and i doubt they will ever beat a fixed up drag supra! supras are one of the best drag racing imports!(japanese).
nacho_nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Old School vs. New School

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho_nissan
...no stock street japan car runs 10's stock! or even 11's. but i would give my vote to the new skool! more advanced technology. just a quick example: the 300ZX TT runs 14's. 3.0l Twin Turbo. new skool! the 350Z runs 14's with just .5l of more displacement and no turbos! evo and STi are not really drag cars, and i doubt they will ever beat a fixed up drag supra! supras are one of the best drag racing imports!(japanese).
Um who said stock???
Old 05-11-2004, 08:35 PM   #4
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nacho_nissan Send a message via MSN to nacho_nissan Send a message via Yahoo to nacho_nissan
Re: Re: Re: Old School vs. New School

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000ways
Um who said stock???
um, if a car is faster stock, what makes you think it wont be faster after tuned????
Old 05-11-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Old School vs. New School

Quote:
um, if a car is faster stock, what makes you think it wont be faster after tuned????
I'm not sure what you are saying? I remember you typed that no stock Japanese car will run 10s, and yeah I know that. I never said any of the cars in my post ran 10s, 11s, or 12s stock. Please re-read the the post carefully, cuz I meant Old School cars are running 10s, 11s, and 12s tuned and so are New School cars, stock was never mentioned
Old 05-11-2004, 08:57 PM   #6
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
The new school car's are, but I'd still take the Supra anyday over the new ones, unless I am track racing. The Lancer Evo is a sick track car, and would be my choice for that. For power and speed, Supra for sure. I'd take a 300ZX over a Neon SRT-4, it's RWD. I don't care for the RX-8, it's underpowered for compared to what it should have been, I'd take the RX-7 over that. I've heard of too many engine break in and water in the oil problems with the RX-8, the RX-7 is tried and true. I do like the Nissan 350Z, though I wish the compression was lower, which woul dbe good for adding boost. I don't really care for the USDM WRX STi, it's a Forestor motor on boost, and is not built like the JDM counterpart. The added power comes from the 2.5 liter motor, which isn't WRC specs. The JDM motor puts down a little less stock, but better internal mean more power is capable in the long run. If this were the JDM STi motor, I would think different, but we get the USDM STi motor over here, so I don't care for it. Besides, the Evo handles better.

I suppose my top 4 choices would be the Supra, Lancer Evo, 350Z, and 300ZX TT out of all of them. The STi, RX-8, RX-7 and SRT-4 arn't bad cars by any mean, don't get me wrong. However, I just perfer the above ones. Out of those last for, if I had the money to keep it going, I'd choose the RX-7. Still, all over the above cars are very good cars. Maybe I'm just partial the the cars I grew up with, but I perfer the old school.

Last edited by eckoman_pdx; 05-11-2004 at 09:45 PM.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:37 PM   #7
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

i love the 300zx and the 350z. although the 350z is a great car, i would lean to get a 300zx tt. the 300zx's design is timeless, well, so is the 350z, but i like the 300zx better. lets put it at that.

other than the z's, i would definitely take old school. the evo, sti, and rx-8 are all four-doors, what the heck. and the srt-4 is fwd, what the heck. i believe that the new "sports cars" are going downhill. they might be getting faster, but c'mon now, four-doors and fwd? good thing the z car stayed with the 2-door rwd layout.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:55 PM   #8
3kgt8
AF Enthusiast

3000gt or GTO over any of those cars. Best looking car by far.
3kgt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:15 PM   #9
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

Since history tends to happen in cycles, I'd say we have hit another slump... I have to agree that all of the true muscle has been replaced by what the companies consider more refined alternatives. Toyota has no sports cars, Type R is definitely better than a Type S (Honda/Acura), and have you guys seen the all new civic Si. RX-7 is so much more badass than the RX-8. The big contenders are the classic TT cars, that is what gives a Japanese car its muscle. hopefully this trend will end soon enough.
Joseph1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:29 AM   #10
Demon_Mustang
AF Enthusiast

I don't know freak, I like the 300zx design, but I really hate the 350z design. The two main things that bug me, is from the side, the shape of the roof, it bubbles up toward the front, and slants down toward the back. Sorry, not doing it for me. The other part, is the back bumper. It looks like a tall empty space from the back, not attractive in the least in my opinion. I love the Infinity G35 Coupe's design, people say it's the same, but it's not. It's the same basic layout and engine, but with 2 more seats, and they fixed BOTH those things in the G35 design, and the G45's tail lights and rear wing are a hell of a lot more attractive than the 350z.

So in the case of the Nissan Z car, I'd definitely say old school, but for everything else, eh, I'm not going to judge, not much interest, so I'll leave it up to you folks.
Demon_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:30 PM   #11
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

another example that came to my mind! whats better? S13 SR20DET, or S15 SR20DET? what about a eclispe 4G63 or a EVO 4G63? newer gets better.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:16 AM   #12
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx

Quote:
another example that came to my mind! whats better? S13 SR20DET, or S15 SR20DET? what about a eclispe 4G63 or a EVO 4G63? newer gets better.
You missed the point....by narrowing it to those motors.

First, in reference to the Eclispe 4G63...tje older Eclispe 4G63's, the 6-bolt desgin, is better than the newer Eclipse 7-bolt 4G63...in this case, the OLDER Eclispe motor is better than the NEWER Eclispe motor. The 7-bolt tend to get crankwalk...a bad thing...I havn't heard of this problem in the Evo 4G63...but that doesn't mean newr is always better....after all, the 1st gen DSM 4G63 is better than the 2nd gen DSM 4G63...

Now, secondly...newer is not better....Name me the replacement for the Supra....There is none. Is the RX-8 Better than the RX-7? Most of use don't think so. For one, many RX-8 owner seems to have issues with the motor oil getting water in it and becomes a whitish goo as a result...Not good. Second, the power output at the flywheel isn't much improved over the TT RX-7. I'd take the RX-7 any day. For one, the oil issue wasn't there...for 2, it was turbocharged. I don't give a rip idf they "basically got the same power out of the same sized motor but without a turbo, as a N/A motor." Well, good for the engineers. However, you can modify the RX-7 to handle way more power than the RX-8...for one, it was made for boost, unlike the RX-8. Turbo's are what propell these motors into monster power numbers...As for the 300Z-350Z, don't get me wrong, I love the 350Z, but again...the 300ZX TT was built for boost. The 350Z wasn't. In the end, you can throw more boost and get more power out of the 300ZX...and both can handle well. Again, it's the "without boost" agruement with the power, but I like the boost. If you want 400HP out of these motors, that's what you'll need, and the 300ZX is built for this. As for the VR-4 3000GT...that was one heck of a car...and like the Supra...no newer one. Even if they make a new one, much like with Mustangs, the Newer isn't necessarily better. The older mustangs kick the pants out of most newer ones...It would be the same with a new Supra or 3000GT. I don't care if they use "newer techonlogy," that itself won't make it better, and I'd still take the old ones.

If you think newer is always better, good for you. That leave one more Supra or one more 300ZX out there looks for a good home...which means one more for me to consider buying. Those older Japanese Sports Cars would kick the pants out of almost any of the newer ones. You say newer is better, but I'll take a Supra and that stout motor over any of the others any day.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:15 AM   #13
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

I was trying to say that beofre, for some reason Japanese producers are going toward Honda-like, n/a high compression power applications, but those can only be taken so far, unless you want to go to a machine shop for some serious work, But all the Big Dog's, the 700hp, 800hp imports are the TT ones of the 90s.
Joseph1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:21 AM   #14
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1082
I was trying to say that beofre, for some reason Japanese producers are going toward Honda-like, n/a high compression power applications, but those can only be taken so far, unless you want to go to a machine shop for some serious work, But all the Big Dog's, the 700hp, 800hp imports are the TT ones of the 90s.
I agree with you, there is a 800WHP RX-8 out there, but they replaced the newer RX-8 engine with the RX-7 engine. I guess they knew there was no way they could make that type of power with the RX-8 engine. Well who knows maybe one day they could make that type of power with RX-8 engine, but that day hasn't arrived yet.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:35 PM   #15
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

well i consider the RX-7 and RX-8 2 totally different things. the RX-8 is not an exotic car like the RX-7. share similar engines, thats it.
as for the new vs old, i once read in a mag.."if the newer cars cannot beat the old cars, maybe the company doesnt deserve to built cars." i read this in a 5.0 mag where they raced a old mach1 and a new mach1. guess who won! with a smaller engine! the NEW one. and wait until the supra comes back again. wanna bet money itll be faster than the old one? i got my money on the new one. im sure the 1st year wont have boost,(like the 350), but as soon as they come up with some boost, bye bye 2JZ. same for the Skyline. even in the JGTC, they replaced the old loved RB26 with the new VQ35. im telling you..if the car companies want to sell cars, they need to get better and better! anybody agree?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons