Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 10:38 AM   #1
boddy white
AF Newbie

Question headlights wont go up 1990 dodge daytona

when headlight switch is pushed the lights turn on but dont go up. i have to manually turn headlights up. when i turn off the headlights with the switch the lights turn off and go down.
boddy white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 06:30 PM   #2
SVTcobra306
AF Enthusiast

Re: headlights wont go up 1990 dodge daytona

Probly a bad controller. I don't know about the newer ones, but mine's in the center of the top of the dash under the plastic cover, next to the windshield.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mccobra94

1995 F-150 SC/4X4 351W/E4OD, K&N, Custom Exhaust w/Flowmaster.

Freedom Isn't Free.
SVTcobra306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:17 AM   #3
Silent_13
AF Newbie

Pull the top part of your dashboard off and you will see a black box, unscrew it and go to a wrecking yard, and look in either other daytonas, or (recommended) take one out of a le baron, It will be located in the same spot. hook it up and your car should start winking again.
Silent_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:56 PM   #4
Tamerlane
AF Newbie

I know all about this. I can't begin to tell you how much knowledge i have about how the headlights work on the daytona. I can even tell you what is in that black box, the controller as they are referring to.

I feel for you, I know it is a pain when the lights don't work.

Most of the time it is the controller, but sometimes it can be the body computer as well.

The body computer, which is located in the passenger kick panel controls the controller. The controller is just 3 relays that are used to reverse the polarity going to the headlights.

When you shut off your lights or flash someone the body computer sends +12 volts for a few seconds to the controller. There are two wires that come from the computer. One controlls up and the other down.

I once thought that it was the controller when it turned out I simply needed to reset the computer.

Before you go to the junk yard, take off the kick panel on the passenger side and disconnect the computer. It will have two plugs on it, remove both.

The computer is really easy to remove, it only has 2 half inch bolts holding it in place, I found it is easier to disconnect the wires with the computer removed from the kick panel.

Now plug the computer back in. Try your lights.

If it doesn't work,then move onto the module.

If you get under your dash you should hear a tiny click whenever you engage the highbeams by pulling back on the turnsignal switch. Listen for two clicks. The first will turn your lamps on, the second turns them off.

Like this.

Press your headlight switch in.. you will hear the relays click. Let go of the switch.. A few seconds later you should hear another click.... This is the relays reversing the polarity in the controller to close the lights.

If you hear no clicks then the controller is bad or there is no signal coming from the computer.

I would give you the control wires that do this as you can put a volt meter + side, and the other on a good ground in the car and you will see the meter jump for about 1/2 a second to 12 volts on one wire and on the other wire when it is closing the lamps.

I do remember there is a large black and red wire. These are straight 12 volts and should always be. I believe the contoller wires are two color.

Good luck... I wish I was there, cause I would be able to solve it for you quickly. I even debating building my own controller as I took one appart many years ago and that is how I know what is in it... Only three relays.

Good luck.
Tamerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
suek
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boddy white
when headlight switch is pushed the lights turn on but dont go up. i have to manually turn headlights up. when i turn off the headlights with the switch the lights turn off and go down.
Bad motor. You proably already know there's a flap under the hood towards the front (above the radiator)to manually flip up those lights.
suek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
CSX#414
AF Newbie

DO NOT take anything off of your dash. I too have a 90 Daytona, and here's the simplest form to fixing this problem.

First, get down on your back on the driver's floor and look up into the bottom of the dash next to the steering column (towards your right at this point). There is a black box up in there. Slide it off of the nub that it is resting on. Then, once it is dangling there, get out from under the dash and turn the car on. Tap the black box on the bottom fo your dash a few times and then hit the light switch. The headlights SHOULD pop up if your box is still good. If not, then the box is bad and this means either A) the plug connectors inside the box need resautered or B) much easier to find a spare box at the junkyard.

Hope that helps. I just leave my black box hang down now and if my headlights don't come up just tap it off of the bottom of the dash and bingo.
CSX#414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
Joric theredbaron
AF Newbie

Is it in the same as and in the same place on the lebaron..??
and what does it look like..??

Friends dont let friends drive imports
Joric theredbaron is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona