Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
sparcx
AF Regular

Re: Upgraded to 12 inch Brakes installed on car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle1 View Post
Caliper mounting brackets part # 18029829
Looking around I think there is a cardone that might be available at rockauto, oreilly, and autozone. Although you could probably get a whole caliper and bracket for pretty cheap at the junkyard.

Cardone 14-1134

BUICK LESABRE CUSTOM (2000 - 2004)
BUICK LESABRE LIMITED (2000 - 2004)
BUICK PARK AVENUE (1997 - 2004)
BUICK PARK AVENUE ULTRA (1997 - 2004)
BUICK RIVIERA (1997 - 1999)
CADILLAC DEVILLE (1997 - 2005)
CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS (1997 - 1999)
CADILLAC DEVILLE DELEGANCE (1997)
CADILLAC DEVILLE DHS (2001 - 2004)
CADILLAC DEVILLE DTS (2001 - 2005)
CADILLAC ELDORADO (1997 - 2000)
CADILLAC ELDORADO ESC (2001 - 2002)
CADILLAC ELDORADO ETC (1998 - 2002)
CADILLAC ELDORADO TOURING (1997)
CADILLAC SEVILLE (1999 - 2000)
CADILLAC SEVILLE SLS (1997 - 2004)
CADILLAC SEVILLE STS (1997 - 2003)
CHEVROLET IMPALA (2000 - 2005)
CHEVROLET IMPALA LS (2000 - 2005)
CHEVROLET IMPALA SS (2004 - 2005)
CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO LS (2000 - 2004)
CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO SS (2000 - 2004)
OLDSMOBILE AURORA (1997 - 2003)
OLDSMOBILE INTRIGUE (1998)
PONTIAC BONNEVILLE (2000 - 2003)
PONTIAC GRAND PRIX GT (2004)
PONTIAC GRAND PRIX GTP (2004)
sparcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #17
dizzle1
AF Regular

You could buy the rotor and caliper brand new. Its a direct bolt on plug and play if I did it again I'd get 98-02 camaro calipers, brackets, pads, and impala/monte carlo rotors, 4 12mm bolts, 4 crush washer maybe braided brake lines since im sticking to 16's.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #18
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LittleHoov

Quote:
You could buy the rotor and caliper brand new. Its a direct bolt on plug and play if I did it again I'd get 98-02 camaro calipers, brackets, pads, and impala/monte carlo rotors, 4 12mm bolts, 4 crush washer maybe braided brake lines since im sticking to 16's.
The problem with the F-body calipers is that to my knowledge no one has ever tried them on factory Intrigue wheels, so they might not even fit. As you know, the 12 inch rotors and factory calipers barely fit.

Now if you were running bigger wheels or wouldnt mind getting them, then it wouldnt be an issue. I dont think it would be impossible with 16s because unless Im mistaken I believe F-bodies of that vintage came with 16 inch rims, of course the backspacing and such is different, but I digress.
LittleHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #19
sparcx
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHoov View Post
No the calipers do not need to be changed, the calipers are the same between 11 and 12 inch models, its only the caliper brackets that are different.

The brackets move the caliper out farther to compliment the bigger rotors. Nothing else really needs to be changed except brackets and rotors.
did you need any new bolts for the caliper?

it sounds like everyone just reused the intrigue bolts, but I wanted to make extra sure there's no surprises.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #20
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

No if you are simply doing "phase 1" as someone referred to it earlier, you dont need any new bolts...speaking of bolts, be sure you get all your bolts tightened back up, I actually didnt tighten mine properly, and one of my caliper-bracket to knuckle bolts fell out while driving...makes for an interesting driving experience...had to drive nearly 100 miles or more to find a dealership that had that bolt in stock...and that one single bolt cost me 16 dollars....so tighten things to spec, and go the extra measure and use some blue thread locker on anything you feel uneasy about
Old 04-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #21
sparcx
AF Regular

Quote:
You could buy the rotor and caliper brand new.
yeah...that's what i'm thinking to do now for the "Phase 1" upgrade. I'm not exactly sure, but it seems like loaded calipers should include the correct brackets. Apparently you can get Wagners for around $50 each.

The only trouble i'm having is figuring out which calipers to get.

I see two different sets of loaded Wagners for the 2005 Chevy Impala that seem like they could fit.

http://www.power-21.com/federalmogul....aspx?pc=Brake

Set #1: Part Number TQM25506 / TQM25507

or

Set #2: Part Number TQM25266 / TQM25267

Anyone have an idea on the correct one?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #22
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

If you really want the loaded calipers, just order them for a 1998 Intrigue with the JA9 package. Loaded calipers may not contain brackets, as brackets arent normally a replacement item. So whichever one is for the vehicle I just listed, go for that one...

Here are the brackets you need from RockAuto:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1714

If for some reason the link doesnt work, its simply caliper brackets for a 1998 Olds Intrigue.

The part you want is the 2nd one, for vehicles with JA9 HD brakes.

Unless youre having problems with your current calipers, getting new ones is almost guaranteed to be a waste of money. But then again, its your money, not mine.

Shipped to my house, 2 of those brackets comes out to just under 50 bucks shipped. Im fairly certain you need a quantity of 2, might not hurt to give RockAuto a ring and ask them, they will be happy to tell you.

I can understand getting new rotors, in fact Id recommend it. But new calipers are really not necessary, and neither are new pads really, unless yours are worn.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #23
sparcx
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHoov View Post
IUnless youre having problems with your current calipers, getting new ones is almost guaranteed to be a waste of money. But then again, its your money, not mine.

Shipped to my house, 2 of those brackets comes out to just under 50 bucks shipped. Im fairly certain you need a quantity of 2, might not hurt to give RockAuto a ring and ask them, they will be happy to tell you.

I can understand getting new rotors, in fact Id recommend it. But new calipers are really not necessary, and neither are new pads really, unless yours are worn.
I doubt i need the calipers, but really the cost difference isn't that bad for the loaded versions if the other alternative was buying the cardone brackets plus new pads. (I was planning on doing front rotors and pads.)

it was only about $40 more for the two extra front calipers when i compare the raybestos. And that's assuming I don't even bother shipping back my existing calipers for the $10 Raybestos core charge at rockauto. Plus i'd assume the new calipers would come with new boots, bolts, etc.

Most of the loaded calipers on rockauto appear to include brackets as well. (although i would double check for sure)

I'm still thinking the junkyard is the way to go, but was considering the alternatives.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue