Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:49 PM   #16
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LittleHoov
Re: Fog Lights

Yeah I agree that they are brighter, I could tell when the old ones were on, but these are quite a bit brighter.

I could care less about glare and things of that nature. Im running Silverstar 9005 high beams, Sylvania 9005 (Hi-beam bulbs) as my lows, and now brighter fog lights.
DOT can kiss my behind.

If its legal for a Nissan Altima/Maxima to have those unholy bright HID lights, I think I can have a tad brighter lighting here and there

I was actually considering the idea of soldering some brighter bulbs say like a 9006 or 9005 and soldering them onto the foglight bulb housing...I think it would create too much heat though, or could possibly even start a fire of some kind. But its an idea.
LittleHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #17
harmankardon35
AF Regular

I dont understand how BMW, lexus, audi,nissan and many new cars can get DOT aproval for those brilliant shimmering purple/blue/white then blue, then white again, then purple lights! lol.....i swear they blind you worse than halogen highbeams. You could probably solder brighter lights in your fogs if you rigged up some sort of heat sheilding for the top of the housing...maybe some vent holes?
harmankardon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #18
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

My only concern with vent holes would be water getting in there, I dont know about you but I have some moisture build up as it is, let alone pure water being able to run in there. I think the first time you drove in rain at night, youd have two burnt out or exploded bulbs.

Now youve got me wondering how bright my low beams would be if I removed that cap......perhaps a new project.

If you really wanted to get some light goin, somehow wiring the low beams to stay on with the highs would be awesome. Ive done it before while holding down the "flash to pass feature" and it flat out lights things up.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:03 AM   #19
Hoppy2
AF Regular

I don't think that the brightness being greater is anything to worry about in way of breaking the law. I notice most people who install aftermarket lights on their car don't bother to aim them properly, hence blinding me and anyone else driving towards them.
Hoppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #20
harmankardon35
AF Regular

your right...with these new HID lights everywhere i dont think you really can do much to halogen lights that will make them too bright. Certainly not with foglights. I think the new ford trucks have 65 watt fog lights. My biggest beef is with the HID lights...the changing blue/white colour and the glare is horrible when you are on the road alot..especially in rain....littlehoov...i took the caps out of the headlights in a 1999 ford zx2 and i noticed a it more light up front and to the sides. Gave it kind of a cool "glowing" effect too...like a halo off the bulb. Its worth a try.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #21
ND4SP
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHoov
Well one of my foglights burned out, so I replaced it with one I had laying around, that lasted a day and it burnt out. Im hoping that was a fluke.

But to my point, I dropped by Autozone and decided to find the bulbs that harmankardon mentioned and I did. The OE bulb for the Intrigue is the 893, which is a 37.5 watt bulb... I did some looking around and found the 885 which is identical to the 898 except it doesnt have the black tip, AND its also a 50 watt bulb...and theyre basically the same price.

I just finished installing them and they do seem brighter, they would have to be. The only problem I had was locking them in place once the bulb was in the housing. They turned VERY hard, Im thinking the rubber material around the base of the bulb may be a little thicker, I didnt bother to compare that.

Bottom line 885 bulbs fit Intrigue fog lights, theyre 12 watts brighter without the black tip.
Littlehoov,

You should monitor the wiring on those lights. It looks pretty light for anything more than the 37.5. Let me know what you find out. If it works fine, I might do the same. I upgraded bulbs in an after market set of projector style lights, the wiring started smoking one night, and melted the h3ll out of the plug..
ND4SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:07 AM   #22
ND4SP
AF Regular

Anyone who upgraded their bulbs to the 885, have you noticed the wires getting hot, have you even checked. I would love to do this, just don't want the factory harness to go up in smoke....
Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #23
phewop118
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHoov
My only concern with vent holes would be water getting in there, I dont know about you but I have some moisture build up as it is, let alone pure water being able to run in there. I think the first time you drove in rain at night, youd have two burnt out or exploded bulbs.

Now youve got me wondering how bright my low beams would be if I removed that cap......perhaps a new project.

If you really wanted to get some light goin, somehow wiring the low beams to stay on with the highs would be awesome. Ive done it before while holding down the "flash to pass feature" and it flat out lights things up.

I really want to do this, cause my high beams aren't bright enough for dark rural areas, so I drive holding the flash to pass in, sometimes for 15 min+. I wonder if it's possible to somehow rig it up so that when I turn the high beams the lows stay on. In fact, the more that I think about it, the more I want to do it, as it will allow me to put HID's in there for the lows, as you need them to stay on when you put the highs on so you don't wear them out early.
2005 GMC Yukon XL SLT w/Autoride 86k miles
2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 77k miles
2007 Cadillac DTS Lux II 47k miles

In Limbo:
2003 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 - got side swiped while parked, waiting on insurance decision

Recent Past:
2007 Hummer H3 5-speed Lease was over 7/17/10
phewop118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #24
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

If your headlights suck that bad, the foglights wont really make that much of a difference.

How do your lenses look? Are they clear? What bulbs are you running?

I drive in rural areas as well, and Ive never had a problem with my high beams, different people have different ideas of brightness I guess.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:04 AM   #25
harmankardon35
AF Regular

a few years ago there used to be direct replacment HID bulbs that you could install...the bulb itself fit into the standard headlight housing but they had to connect to an external ballast wich required some wiring. I beleive the problem with them was the unperfect conditions inside of a standard headlight (moisture etc)...these gas-discharge bulbs would self destruct with even the slightest inperfection (making installing them a NIGTMARE)...but if you can find them they are damn bright (look similar to marcedees headlights...HID without the "magnafying glass" look)...i guess you could upgrade your headlights to a higher wattage bulb. You could also connect a jumper from your high beam circuit to the low circuit so they both stay on with highbeams. Another option is to take out your headlights and polish both sides of the lesnses to factory clear.....Alot of options for more brightness...
Old 12-15-2007, 03:02 AM   #26
ND4SP
AF Regular

Anyone that changed over to the 885 bulbs, have you looked at your wiring going to the fog lights? Just want to make sure there isn't any problem with this....
Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #27
robharrisva
AF Newbie

Question Re: Fog Lights

After getting tired of the short life of the SilverStar 893ST bulbs, I ordered a pair of direct replacement 37.5W Plasmaglow 893 xenon-krypton bulbs. When I opened the packaging, I found both bulbs bent at an approximately 30 degree angle as if by design. Perhaps it was done to help alleviate the "dark spot" caused by the dark tip or simply to fit other vehicles. Anyone else experience this with aftermarket 893 bulbs?
robharrisva is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue