Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: SHO or Maxima?
1995 Nissan Maxima SE 5 speed 18 58.06%
1995 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed 13 41.94%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 04:16 PM   #1
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

1995 Maxima Se (5 spd) vs. 1995 taurus SHO (5 spd)

so who'd take it?

Sho has 220 hp 200 lbs of torque and weighs 3120 lbs

Maxima has 190 hp 205 lbs torque and weighs 3001 lbs

Paonessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:36 PM   #2
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
too close...
go out and race...

both are "older" so you've got to take the current state of tune into account...
as well as gearing...
sho's are pretty quick, but i'm assuming your car is quick as well..

too close to call right now, go do it and tell us...
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:35 PM   #3
kfoote
AF Enthusiast

Well, I've driven a 95 Maxima and (briefly) followed a 95 SHO around the track (in a 91 Probe GT and in an 85 Porsche 944), and I have to go with the Maxima as the better car. The SHO does have more power, but IMHO the build quality is not as good, and the SHO has the typical Ford problem of not having any brakes. The handling of the Maxima is better as well.
kfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:51 PM   #4
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
your points are valid, however, the post seems to be aimed at the 1/4 mile, so the braking and handling aren't as important...

i'm still saying "just do it"

find out, don't let other people speculate
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 07:04 PM   #5
Pick
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by flylwsi
your points are valid, however, the post seems to be aimed at the 1/4 mile, so the braking and handling aren't as important...

i'm still saying "just do it"

find out, don't let other people speculate
Maxima did and will eat the SHO up, any year, any transmission. VQ power, baby!!!
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 02:22 AM   #6
KeGrO
Banned

Send a message via AIM to KeGrO
well i don't have any knowledge on the two cars but paonessa's sig says

Motor Trend, Road Test, June 1994
"Our tester, a five-speed SE version of this fourth generation of Maxima, produced a blazing 6.6-second 0-60-mph time, and a 15.2-second, 92.4-mph quarter-mile run. Ask us,
and we'll tell you how the Maxima SE will whip the Integra GS-R, and Taurus SHO;
the new Maxima also shows no mercy on its Nissan stablemates: It'll stomp the normally aspirated 300ZX, and drivers of automatic-transmissioned 300ZX Turbos best not be snoozing when the light goes green.
This demure-looking family car is the quickest Japanese sedan available in the States."
KeGrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 07:28 PM   #7
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
I'm sorry but I've beaten a mid 90s Maxima in a mini-van. The build quality of Nissan’s cars were very poor in the mid 90s compared to how they are now because the company was in a financial crisis. I don't feel that the Maximas of the mid 90s were even mediocre performers. The SHO isn't "that" fast of a car either and isn't completely a Ford. The engine is built by Yamaha, which had no quality issues.

My pick for the 1/4 mile is the SHO.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 07:08 AM   #8
Pick
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Polygon
I'm sorry but I've beaten a mid 90s Maxima in a mini-van. The build quality of Nissan’s cars were very poor in the mid 90s compared to how they are now because the company was in a financial crisis. I don't feel that the Maximas of the mid 90s were even mediocre performers. The SHO isn't "that" fast of a car either and isn't completely a Ford. The engine is built by Yamaha, which had no quality issues.

My pick for the 1/4 mile is the SHO.
......And nothing you just said is true. The best Maxima's ever made were during the mid 90's. And they are more than mediocre. 0-60 in 6 nseconds in a 190 horse family sedan? That's incredible! And the Maxima has beat the SHO in the 1/4 every time it has been tested. And never have you beaten a Maxima in a minivan.:finger:
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 03:48 PM   #9
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I'm sorry but I've beaten a mid 90s Maxima in a mini-van.
Who the hell races minivans??? i'll bet as soon as you punched the gas he started laughing at the thought of embarassing a soccer-mom in her town & country
Old 05-13-2003, 08:19 PM   #10
TatII
AF Fanatic

octagon you gotta remember that there is a hugh different in performance between a 5 speed max and a auto max. nissan auto's suck ass. and there are waaay more auto max's running around then a 5 speed one. so you probrably beat a auto max octagon. becasue trust me, 5 speed maxima's are quick.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 12:25 AM   #11
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
1. Though Octagon and I like Chryslers, we are a different person.

2. Yes I did beat a Maxima in a Mini-van which for your information was a work delivery vehicle and was not mine.

3. Perhaps it was an auto, I didn't think of that at the time I made that post, also I am thinking the one I beat might have been an early 90s Maxima and not a mid. Could be a difference there as well, but he was trying his ass off and I still won.

BTW: Chrysler made a turbocharged mini-van, you would be surprised what they could run, I have seen one beat a Trans-Am in the 1/4 mile on a 12 second pass.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:29 AM   #12
edonis
AF Enthusiast

I'd take the Maxima over the Taurus anyday, anyhow...
edonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:37 AM   #13
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

Quote:
1. Though Octagon and I like Chryslers, we are a different person.
i just saw all the chryslers in your vehicles list and sig. coulda been a nissan quest.

Quote:
BTW: Chrysler made a turbocharged mini-van, you would be surprised what they could run, I have seen one beat a Trans-Am in the 1/4 mile on a 12 second pass.
[/b]
my friend's mom had one, it was under the dodge name though i think, but was ultimately a chrysler. He crashed his car and was drivin that for a while. Anyway one day a pontiac grand prix gtp tried to pass us over the dotted yellow. He floored it in the van and the gtp had to back off and get back behind us, i was prety impressed. we went from like 40-75 mph pretty quickly. i know for damn sure it ain't runnin' no 12's though
Old 05-16-2003, 01:44 AM   #14
92teggsr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick

Maxima did and will eat the SHO up, any year, any transmission. VQ power, baby!!!
Ok first of all I'd take a Maxima over a SHO just cause I hate Ford but SHO's are faster and you don't know what you're talking about if you say any Maxima can beat any SHO. A friend of mine used to have a 92 Maxima and got smoked every single time by my other friends 91 SHO. I've driven quite a few Maximas and about 3 different SHO's and accelerationwise the SHO is faster wheter you wanna admit it or not.
Short Shifter
Eibach Suspension
17's

91 Honda Accord LX
92teggsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 06:32 AM   #15
TatII
AF Fanatic

thats becuase your comparing auto maxima to a sho. plus the 92 maxima's ran on the VG30DE instead of the VQ30DE. there is a big power difference in those motors. a 5 speed VG30 max can only do the 1/4 mile in 16's and 0-60 in around 8 seconds. the fastest maxima's are the 5th gen from 95-98 they do 0-60 in 6.6 seconds and 1/4 mile in 15.2 to 15.1 and the fastest maxima's are the 2k2 and 2k3 with the VQ35DE those did 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and can run the 1/4 in 14.6-7 they all have to be 5 or 6 speed though becuase automatic maximas are slow. my friend's 5 speed accord LX is able to take them. however, if its a 5 speed, the max can hang with a 4th gen prelude v-tec and those were the fastest preludes ever made. now if you think a sho can beat the 4th and later 5th gens you gotta be kidding me. it will be a good race, but sayin that you've driven many maxima's and callin them slow is just wrong. how many 5 speed maxima's have you driven? i've drive 1 and the car was filled with big black guys ( my roomates friends) and it pulled almost as hard as my 240 even with all thsoe mods, and my car ran a 15.5 on the g-tec. trust me a 5 speed and a auto max is a world apart. non of my honda friends even with the dohc v-tec will not fuck with a 5 speed max becuase they know that they would look bad if they did.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote