Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #16
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

Re: most reliable/fun sport compact from the late 80s/early 90s???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie
Actualy 25 years ago the Starion was a very fast, very reliable car.
Quite an achievement for any manufactor.
But, that was 25 years ago. Since them most of them have gone rusty and the old 8 valve motors are pretty much worn away from to much boost.
Fortunatly the engine is a very early version of the now famous 4g63.
That means EVO engine swaps are not that hard.
Follow that train of thought, and if you can find one with a decent body, and good running gear but a dead motor, and you have lots of spare time, spare cash, and suitable knowledge, then you could make a very unique classic RWD with a very powerful modern engine in it
I'm with you up until the spare cash part. I want to go to college...so I'm buying a car that won't need full coverage...if I had a 4g63 swap, I doubt I would even park the thing anywhere except my garage lol cool idea though.

hmmm...I'm thinking of a few other cars suitable for this list...ae86 would be alright and they are actually pretty cheap around here since very few people drift or even bother to mod the cars...
Old 10-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #17
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie
Actualy 25 years ago the Starion was a very fast, very reliable car.
Yeah, that's true. Like you said though, after 25 years any car can be pretty unreliable. The 4G63 swap is a cool idea though. You also have to give it to the Starion, it is responsible for the Sport Compact explosion in Japan.

I'll own one someday.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #18
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
I'll own one someday.
agreed...
Old 10-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #19
98BlackTransAm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 98BlackTransAm

my dad used to have a starion,, it was quick I guess but nothing terribly impressive. I think it has a lot of potential but would require a fair amount of modding (i.e. the 4g63 swap). in the mean time you could get an early 90's 8.0L viper
F13 cam (230/232, .595/.585, 112+4 LSA) | PRC Dual Valve Springs | LS2 Timing Chain | Ported LS6 oil pump | Pacesetter LT's | TSP catted y-pipe | Flowtech cutout | LS6 intake | SLP lid | SLP cat-back | Bilstein suspension | Tuned by Mayhem Motorsports

1998 Pontiac Trans Am (A4) - SOLD
slp lid, pacesetter lts, ory, flowtech cutout, fuddle 3400 stall, B&M tranny cooler
98BlackTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #20
280ZXbassist
AF Newbie

i like to race, and i like to drag, but for the most part i drive for fun, and when it comes down to it RWD cars are just more fun to drive. my 280zx is the most fun of a car i've ever owned, and my ae86 isnt far off. sure, i've upgraded the suspension on both for more reliability, but still, my wife drives a 2000 Hyundai Elantra and even though its quick, i hate driving it. when i make a slight adjustment while steering it tries to throw me into the next lane. like a chihuahua on crack. and my '92 Pontiac Sunbird isnt any better.

don't get me wrong, im not knockin FWD, im just saying i dont enjoy them as much, i mean, i would love to own an old CRX just as much as the next guy, but having something i can flip on my own, without driving it, isnt any fun.

and i also agree about the AWD's being too much upkeep. and too much money.

sure, some stock RWD cars are overweight and under-powered, but after a little bit of TLC they can handle a hell of alot more horses than a FWD car could.
280ZXbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:47 AM   #21
98BlackTransAm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 98BlackTransAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280ZXbassist
i like to race, and i like to drag, but for the most part i drive for fun, and when it comes down to it RWD cars are just more fun to drive. my 280zx is the most fun of a car i've ever owned, and my ae86 isnt far off. sure, i've upgraded the suspension on both for more reliability, but still, my wife drives a 2000 Hyundai Elantra and even though its quick, i hate driving it. when i make a slight adjustment while steering it tries to throw me into the next lane. like a chihuahua on crack. and my '92 Pontiac Sunbird isnt any better.

don't get me wrong, im not knockin FWD, im just saying i dont enjoy them as much, i mean, i would love to own an old CRX just as much as the next guy, but having something i can flip on my own, without driving it, isnt any fun.

and i also agree about the AWD's being too much upkeep. and too much money.

sure, some stock RWD cars are overweight and under-powered, but after a little bit of TLC they can handle a hell of alot more horses than a FWD car could.
but you gotta admit, there's nothin sweeter than a FWD burnout
F13 cam (230/232, .595/.585, 112+4 LSA) | PRC Dual Valve Springs | LS2 Timing Chain | Ported LS6 oil pump | Pacesetter LT's | TSP catted y-pipe | Flowtech cutout | LS6 intake | SLP lid | SLP cat-back | Bilstein suspension | Tuned by Mayhem Motorsports

1998 Pontiac Trans Am (A4) - SOLD
slp lid, pacesetter lts, ory, flowtech cutout, fuddle 3400 stall, B&M tranny cooler
98BlackTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:41 AM   #22
280ZXbassist
AF Newbie

ha ha ha, yeah. but since the only FWD burnout i've ever seen in real life broke they guys axle and the engine dropped out of the car i tend to believe it shouldnt be attempted by amateurs...lol
280ZXbassist is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons