Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
cHo
AF Newbie

Any thoughts/feedback..?

Performance:
CX Racing FMIC
CX Racing Radiator
Evo 3 16G Turbos
IPS TD05 Manifolds and Precats
Southbend Stage 4 6 puck clutch w/ IPS ultra lightweight flywheel
DSM Blacktop 450s
KN Air filter
Blitz DSBC Type R
Apexi SAFC 2
A/C deleted
MSD spark plug wires
1 piece CFDS
Custom DP combined with e-cutout and stock catback

Waiting to install:
Greddy Emanage Ultimate w/ Map Sensor and GM IAT
AEM AFPR and custom fuel pressure gauge
Scanmaster 3
SS Brake Lines

Waiting to be shipped:
HKS DLI Twin Power
New Plugs/Wires
Greddy EMU 3000GT CEL Harness
660s

Future:
AEM Water/Meth kit
More gauges
Custom front mount oil cooler with AN lines/fittings

Almost done with this car.. Just gotta finish up a few details and then I'll hopefully will be able to just enjoy it. Been seriously debating if I should just try and tune it myself or go with a professional tune.. On one hand, I'd like to know whats going on so I can make adjustments/changes to the tune if necessary.. On the other hand, my car is my daily so I need to minimize downtime and obviously a pro tuner should know more than I do.. I've tuned my car before but I have NEVER messed with speed density or timing. The shop is RoadRaceEngineering in CA who specialize in DSMs and EVOs. Figured it shouldn't be too different from tuning a 3/S. Anyways, they have a set tune price which is not too bad for a complete tune. They have an AWD hub dyno.

Now on to my questions..
1) So I'm planning on going speed density. Would having the stock MAS and bubble piece compared to maf-less intake pipes affect the VE enough where changes would be needed to be made?

2) I have an E-cutout with a stock catback. Same question as above.. Will tuning for it open cause any problems for when its closed? I honestly rarely open up my e-cutout as its quite loud. I'll probably do 70% of my driving with it closed.

3) I'm leaning more towards having a pro tuner set me up for pump and race gas.. Then when I get w/m injection, I'll just look over the two maps to get an idea and tune for the w/m myself.. Any thoughts?

4) Would getting tuned on a hub dyno require a retune on the streets? I know the load would be different and some people say yes, others no..

I'll be adding more questions as they come along.. I know its not smart to set a time-limit for something like this but I'd like to get everything done preferably by the end of the month as a birthday gift to myself..
cHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
AutostradaVR4
AF Enthusiast

Re: Any thoughts/feedback..?

if it was me I would get someone who knows exactly what their doing walk you through the first tune. With that much money into it, I wouldn't want to risk missing something.
Im a bit confised on your first question. Are you talking about going with a blow-thru setup?

--VR-4-- --09 Lancer RALLIART-- --Me--
AutostradaVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Speed density and blow thru are two different things.

Blow thru still uses a MAF but it now comes after the turbos instead of like the stock draw thru before the turbos. Speed density doesn't use a MAF.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
cHo
AF Newbie

Well unfortunately every tuner swears that they can make a conservative tune while putting down great power.. I've had a bad experience going AEM on my Suby and thats why I stuck to the basic piggybacks and tuned myself. Now I'm stepping back into the more advance tuning options as I need them to make the most conservative tune while putting down good numbers. And the only 2 3/S tuning shops out here are GT Pro and FSR, both of which will not get my business. Thats why I'm going with a DSM tuner as they are the closest thing I got..
'LOL! Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes... You convince yourself that it is good enough, but then something gets you thinking you are soooo close to being that next step quicker... Then the wallet comes out and all hell breaks loose.' - mjannusch from 3si
Old 01-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

I don't know what you have against FSR but they are the ones taking GT Pro's business due to GT Pro's own shady business practices and poor quality of workmanship.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
cHo
AF Newbie

well.. lets just say that their track record isn't as perfect as it seems on 3si... But bashing FSR is not the point of this thread. I'm just trying to make sure I'm ready to be tuned..
hopefully I'll be in the 500whp club by the end of the month..
'LOL! Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes... You convince yourself that it is good enough, but then something gets you thinking you are soooo close to being that next step quicker... Then the wallet comes out and all hell breaks loose.' - mjannusch from 3si

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth