Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
d4h8a1
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to d4h8a1
06 Sonata transmission issue

Howdy friends!

I've got an 06 Sonata with 75K miles on it. Everything was working great till yesterday when it suddenly wouldn't shift out of first gear. There is plenty of fluid and it looks clean, but has never been changed. I would guess that the valve body is just stuck, but you can manually select second gear and everything works just fine.

It seems weird to me. Has anyone ever heard of this? Are there recalls? How hard is it to take the valve body out and have a look?

Also, I've always known the + on the manual shifter to mean 'go up a gear' and the - to mean 'go down a gear'. On this particular vehicle the - goes up a gear and the + does nothing. A related problem?

Thanks for the advice =D
Old 10-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
lowsonoma1999
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via AIM to lowsonoma1999
Re: 06 Sonata transmission issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4h8a1 View Post
Howdy friends!

I've got an 06 Sonata with 75K miles on it. Everything was working great till yesterday when it suddenly wouldn't shift out of first gear. There is plenty of fluid and it looks clean, but has never been changed. I would guess that the valve body is just stuck, but you can manually select second gear and everything works just fine.

It seems weird to me. Has anyone ever heard of this? Are there recalls? How hard is it to take the valve body out and have a look?

Also, I've always known the + on the manual shifter to mean 'go up a gear' and the - to mean 'go down a gear'. On this particular vehicle the - goes up a gear and the + does nothing. A related problem?

Thanks for the advice =D
First, if you have 75k miles on it, and have never changed the transmission fluid, you are WAY overdue. Considering it's recommended to change every 30k miles. 2nd, if you are the original owner, and if it's an internal issue with the trans, than it should be covered. Not all items, but most. But from the sounds of it, you've got something electrical going on. the + is to go up, and - to go down. So something weird is definately going on. But get your transmission fluid flushed out after you figure your problem out. Any codes in the system?
17665 Terry Lee Crossing
Noblesville, IN 46060
lowsonoma1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
d4h8a1
AF Newbie

No, it doesn't throw any codes.

I know it's over due, but it's not my car and I'm used to driving Hondas, which run forever anyway...

I really wish I could afford that $200 shop manual... What electrical systems does this car have other than the ECU? For instance, is all the transmission computing done by the main computer, or are there other 'piggy-back' systems that can be tested? And can I test any of these without diagnostic equipment?

This series of questions seems much more hopeless than the last.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
rallyman66
AF Newbie

Question Re: 06 Sonata transmission issue

Quote:
I know it's over due, but it's not my car and I'm used to driving Hondas, which run forever anyway....
That's funny! Tell that to the owners of the 2003/2004 Accords whose transmissions failed by 30K or 40K. Maybe they will run forever but they will never know because they can't drive them. I have owned two Hondas and my Hyundais have been more durable and reliable than the Hondas.

Anyway, the point of my post is to let you know that Hyundai provides online access to their shop manuals. Go to www.hmaservice.com and create a free account. You can then log in and will have access to the shop manual, electrical trouble shooting manual, TSB's, etc. It is very useful information and will cost you nothing and you can print out sections of it if you need it in the car while you troubleshoot. Good luck!
rallyman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
lowsonoma1999
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via AIM to lowsonoma1999

Quote:
No, it doesn't throw any codes.

I know it's over due, but it's not my car and I'm used to driving Hondas, which run forever anyway...

I really wish I could afford that $200 shop manual... What electrical systems does this car have other than the ECU? For instance, is all the transmission computing done by the main computer, or are there other 'piggy-back' systems that can be tested? And can I test any of these without diagnostic equipment?

This series of questions seems much more hopeless than the last.

Thanks for the help.
There is a transmission control module, but we don't see those go bad very often. Could be a number of other things though. Without throwing any codes, hard to tell you where to start. Might be best taking it to a dealer.
17665 Terry Lee Crossing
Noblesville, IN 46060
lowsonoma1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
d4h8a1
AF Newbie

Yeah, Hondas do suck lately... I have one of those Accords the tranny isn't the only thing that wasn't though out before production.

Thanks for the advise. Its really helped.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
maksmail2
AF Newbie

Hi. Having the same problem with the transmission. Already changed transmission ranege sensor , transmission input and output speed sensors. No CEL is on and tranny still drive only manually. Please help ((
maksmail2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata