Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > General Issues
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General Issues General legal automotive problem discussions
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
dragon370
AF Newbie

abandoned car HELP what can i do???

okay so there is a car someone left in the old parking lot next to where i work. from what i can gather it has been there for a long time, at least a year. the pink slip and inspection slip were in it and i know the VIN and the owner's name and pervious address. however, he is not listed at those addresses anymore, according to online phonebooks. i would like to have the car for myself, as i think it is a fixer-and-make-money oppurtunity. how can i find this guy? can i simply file for a lost title and call it mine? how about keys can i have a new key made for it because i dont have them they werent left in the car or to change the ignition with a differant one that i would have the keys for, theoretically??

can anyone give me advice on this can i just claim ownership and file for a lost title or is there some way i can find the guy thru the vehicles VIN, or what can i do to get this car to be legally mine and is it possible to have new keys made?????
dragon370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Re: abandoned car HELP what can i do???

Um I don't think you can just lay claim to it. I think if you can't track down the guy via online yellow pages or something, then you're gonna have to call the cops to come pick it up. Once they impound it, you maybe able to buy it after a certain number of days.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon370
okay so there is a car someone left in the old parking lot next to where i work. from what i can gather it has been there for a long time, at least a year. the pink slip and inspection slip were in it and i know the VIN and the owner's name and pervious address. however, he is not listed at those addresses anymore, according to online phonebooks. i would like to have the car for myself, as i think it is a fixer-and-make-money oppurtunity. how can i find this guy? can i simply file for a lost title and call it mine? how about keys can i have a new key made for it because i dont have them they werent left in the car or to change the ignition with a differant one that i would have the keys for, theoretically??

can anyone give me advice on this can i just claim ownership and file for a lost title or is there some way i can find the guy thru the vehicles VIN, or what can i do to get this car to be legally mine and is it possible to have new keys made?????

Have your local police run the vin no. first thing.
That sucker could be hot.
If you can get the owners name and address contact him and he may give it to you or sign title over.
And Check with your local license/ vehicle registration office.
For filing on a abandon car for a title.
Laws vary from state to state.
Good luck but do it by the book or you could get into hot water.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:04 AM   #4
iDrew
AF Newbie

I would piss lough if its one of those "trap" cars that the cops use to catch criminals , but yeah man do it by the books, I suggest you check with ur local police station.
iDrew is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > General Issues