Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 08:39 PM   #46
Brahma Boy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Brahma Boy
What else is good to keep up with a 18XXX mid-bass wise. For my Brahma I want some very strong mid-bass and I am getting a second Brahma this summer. Kodas?
Brahma Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:09 AM   #47
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ngsm13
Re: Re: Bow Before Thy Mater, Bitches (Pics/ My Project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
oh and BTW, i dont like dipping, with a paint prush you can controll the ammount of resin you use to get just enough needed, dipping, sure you can strain it out but there will still be extra, unneeded, resin in the mat or cloth...
And it won't be NEARLY as strong...good thing those are just for tweets...paint doesn't get nearly enough resin on the mat...at all

NG

PS: Tim...I'd look into some XXX6.5's in the door. OR Fiberglass some Decent mids (CDT EF's, Koda 6's, etc) sealed in the door or kicks...

NG
ngsm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:13 AM   #48
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
Yes Paul you are correct. The install is the key for them to sound well. Unfortunately, most of the time they look kinda out of place when you just slap them under the lip of the dash. Plus, you usually lose a little room too.

With the Image dynamics minihorns, almost no room is lost

It takes a lot of tuning to make horns sounds less harsh. I noticed that when i had my cd1e v2 horns (motorola piezoelectric drivers), they were very harsh, but they were the lowerline of ID's horn. Then i upgraded to the CD3ultra (Altec Lansing high end driver) and the difference was amazing. So much more details without the fatigue that the cd1e had. There are a few spikes here and there, but nothing a dual 31 band EQ can't do

As for the RE's tweeter, I have a friend on another forum who also experienced the harshness. He couldn't stand it so he bought a 15 band EQ to try to lower the peaks. It helped, but i guess the nature of the tweeters made it very hard to sound smooth and not too fatiguing.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:20 PM   #49
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman
Re: Bow Before Thy Mater, Bitches (Pics/ My Project)

hehe, my midbass will never be able to keep up with an XXX 18...which i am rethinking my substage, maybe 2 atlas 15's or an SX 18, something cheaper. i dont know....i am going to try and get ahold of RE agian today, tried 12 times friday, but they are moving so...
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #50
L|_|da
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to L|_|da

looks liek a nice set up. must have a decent amount of room in there if your getting an 18.
L|_|da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:46 PM   #51
CBFryman
Banned

well the box will be 6.5 cubes tuned to 30Hz with 81-100 sqin of port area, depending on weither it will be a squeez or not... well the atlas 15's are ruled out, $320 fro an SX 18 and i would be lourder with an SX so.... still trying to decide what i want, gonna have some SPL and group delay comparo's in WinISD and decide if the extra perfomance from an XXX is woth the extra money....
Old 04-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #52
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
well the box will be 6.5 cubes tuned to 30Hz with 81-100 sqin of port area, depending on weither it will be a squeez or not... well the atlas 15's are ruled out, $320 fro an SX 18 and i would be lourder with an SX so.... still trying to decide what i want, gonna have some SPL and group delay comparo's in WinISD and decide if the extra perfomance from an XXX is woth the extra money....
WinISD will tell you jack shit about in-car anything...

NG
Old 04-18-2005, 08:14 PM   #53
CBFryman
Banned

really? lol
i can still look at estimated responce graphs and group delays and get a round about idea of how it will do with cabin gain...
when it comes down to it... i dont think the extra SQ (not that that matters, for rock it will rarely go into masive excursions and for rap/bass type stuff the SX and XXX should show no diference) and the fact that the XXX is less sensitive needing a more expensive amp for more power is worth me paying $145 more...
so it is SX18 now, id like the XXX but $145 is a good month or so worth of gas, Tire, new tint, beinging a fund for amp, begining fund for security, box with cash left over, or a lot of food....oh oh oh and there is a guy selling a Cadence amp that would go well with me RE's too.... q3000 i think...

so....im looking at these amps, none are great but hey, w/e...
Hifonics BX1500
Lanzar Vibe268
Profile AP2000
Hifonics TX1005D
Hifonics BX1205D
Absolute ABS9070
MA Audio HK1998
_______________your suggestion....budget amps, under 300....under 250 would be best...
Old 04-18-2005, 08:17 PM   #54
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

The SX may be louder on the Sensor, and it has the ability to be louder...but daily the XXX will stomp all over it in linear output.

NG
Old 04-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #55
CBFryman
Banned

why is the Xmax on an SX?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #56
CBFryman
Banned

what*, oh and i edited the 53rd post....
Old 04-18-2005, 10:18 PM   #57
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsm13
The SX may be louder on the Sensor, and it has the ability to be louder...but daily the XXX will stomp all over it in linear output.

NG

Microsoft

one thing WinISD doesn't account for is distortion. The XXX has the linear BL so the change in distortion over the cone travel isn't as big as a standard motor.

Lower sensitivity isn't always bad. Its a good thing IMO for subwoofers if the designs are correct. SX vs XXX, the low end response is going to be better on the xxx. Low end response is dependednt on the the mass of the diagphram and the BL of the motor. In this case, if either one of those quantities were to be changed to obtain better low end, you sacrifice sensitivity.

IDmax, brahma, xxx, etc. idmax has the weakest low end, but it is very sensitive. The brahma, xxx, w7, etc have much heavier cone assembly and on the low end will eat the idmax, but they suffer from sensitivity. Many people complained about the idmax having less low end going from the idmax v2 to v3. I could see why. ID decreased the mass of the cone assembly.

There are a lot of things WinISD can measure, but not everything can be taken into account for. We all know that plotting a bazooka bass tube and a W7 can yield the same response, but we also know they won't sound the same either.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:31 PM   #58
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Bow Before Thy Mater, Bitches (Pics/ My Project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSteg
Microsoft

one thing WinISD doesn't account for is distortion. The XXX has the linear BL so the change in distortion over the cone travel isn't as big as a standard motor.

Lower sensitivity isn't always bad. Its a good thing IMO for subwoofers if the designs are correct. SX vs XXX, the low end response is going to be better on the xxx. Low end response is dependednt on the the mass of the diagphram and the BL of the motor. In this case, if either one of those quantities were to be changed to obtain better low end, you sacrifice sensitivity.

IDmax, brahma, xxx, etc. idmax has the weakest low end, but it is very sensitive. The brahma, xxx, w7, etc have much heavier cone assembly and on the low end will eat the idmax, but they suffer from sensitivity. Many people complained about the idmax having less low end going from the idmax v2 to v3. I could see why. ID decreased the mass of the cone assembly.

There are a lot of things WinISD can measure, but not everything can be taken into account for. We all know that plotting a bazooka bass tube and a W7 can yield the same response, but we also know they won't sound the same either.
I like it when you're around on a regular basis Gsteg, brings more sensibility to the forums Still miss ya on ca.com tho

NG

PS: CB...i wouldn't touch the AP series from Profile OR the MA...OR the Absolute...all because of reliability
Old 04-19-2005, 09:39 AM   #59
CBFryman
Banned

so how about the lanzar, though it probably isnt doing a true 1600w i would still go easy on the gains...
Old 04-19-2005, 05:10 PM   #60
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
so how about the lanzar, though it probably isnt doing a true 1600w i would still go easy on the gains...
I'm not a fan of the Vibe series, the Opti series however

NG

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio