Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discussion about performance modifications and issues.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 09:18 PM   #1
rand_81
AF Newbie

Question Install of BOV

Hi, i just bought a turbosmart type II Vport BOV, now, looking at my engine their is gonna be a spare pipe which i am told is the plumback pipe, when i install my BOV what do i do with the plumbback ?, block it ?, just leave it d/c or what ??
thanks guys,
btw i got a hr32 RB20
rand_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 01:47 AM   #2
Doctor
AF Regular

You are going to have a few problems with over fuelling on gear changes with a atmos venting BOV. Keep a few snags in the boot so you can fry em up between 1st and 2nd gear a WOT. If you must vent outside, then you will need to block everything, otherwise there will be air getting in after the AFM which is not good.

Regards,
Doc:smoker2:
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 01:50 AM   #3
nissky
AF Newbie

Block it off, or else the engine will be sucking some air through this open pipe.
nissky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 07:29 AM   #4
rand_81
AF Newbie

I have seen alot of RB20's with atmo BOV, and they seem to not have a problem with over fuelling, if i take it to a workshop to do , rather then myself, is there anything they should be able to do to stop this over fuelling short of a new computer and a MAP instead of airflow ??
Old 11-11-2001, 08:55 PM   #5
GTR-80Y
AF Newbie

over fuelling?? atmo venting? you mean a normal bov that goes pppsshht??? i got the type 3 turbo smart..not a prob...pls explain!
turbo smart adapters for the bov come with a plug to block the return air pipe.....mistakenly i put it in the bov and didn't block the other one....stalled a lot....all the way to turbo smart head office where they pulled all the staff out to have a laugh at the plug in the bov fluttering up and down ...kekeke
GTR-80Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 09:00 PM   #6
Doctor
AF Regular

Did you tell the staff to **ck off, cause I would of, then I would of run 'em over so they could get a closer look at the blow of valve that is so funny. HAHA

Doc
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 09:00 PM   #7
rand_81
AF Newbie

sweet, so all i have to do is block the return pipe, and its all apples ?
Old 11-12-2001, 12:34 AM   #8
GTR-80Y
AF Newbie

yeap...i needed longer piping and stuff...got it of a mechanic mate.
Nah the turbo smart guys were ok...they fixed it all up for me for free.
GTR-80Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 10:10 AM   #9
Mick
AF Newbie

So has anyone had problems with over fueling when BOV opens when atmos venting on a R33 rb25det when blocking return plumbing
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 02:59 PM   #10
TINDUCK RACING
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to TINDUCK RACING
....the overfuelling is only momentary....it's only whilst the BOV is venting ( and the AFM is telling the ECU it's getting more air to the engine than it actually is).......so cruising at a constant speed, there is no overfuelling at all....
.....if you tend to P-CHISH (technical term ) all the time, you will see a loss in fuel economy, and you might get a little spark plug fouling in city driving.....
....but this is more than made up for by the added bonus of GINORMOUS flames out the hot exhaust on gear changes when you give it some stick.......

Hope this helps..

Jon.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:30 PM   #11
[TWUBLE]
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by TINDUCK RACING
....the overfuelling is only momentary....it's only whilst the BOV is venting ( and the AFM is telling the ECU it's getting more air to the engine than it actually is).......so cruising at a constant speed, there is no overfuelling at all....
.....if you tend to P-CHISH (technical term ) all the time, you will see a loss in fuel economy, and you might get a little spark plug fouling in city driving.....
....but this is more than made up for by the added bonus of GINORMOUS flames out the hot exhaust on gear changes when you give it some stick.......

Hope this helps..

Jon.
hey hey hey flames?!?! holy shit haha can this happen on a factory BOV?

Proud to be a member of the AF Kiwi Krew!
---------------------------------------------------
1 life, 1 licence, 1 day, Save it for the strip...

You cant begin to consider the palpable hate in the air when your near. - s|ipkn0t
Why do I have a conscious. All it does is fuck with me! - k0Rn

[TWUBLE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 05:02 PM   #12
TINDUCK RACING
AF Regular

....in a word,Yes.
..Just slide the rubber pipe connecting the factory BOV to the metal return pipe down the pipe a bit, blank it off with a bit of broomhandle or a core plug, re-tighten the hose clips, and off you go.....the return is airtight, and the factory BOV now vents to atmosphere....big CHISH noises, and if you get the exhaust hot enough,(aftermarket big bore is best)...BIG flames as the unburnt fuel passes through the motor into the exhaust and ignites..........

........word of warning though......the factory BOV is a diaphragm type, not a twin piston type, so the car will stall on tickover........not good, especially if ya got an auto.....

.....also them flames can't be good for your cat.....

Take care,

Jon.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:47 PM   #13
[TWUBLE]
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
....in a word,Yes.
..Just slide the rubber pipe connecting the factory BOV to the metal return pipe down the pipe a bit, blank it off with a bit of broomhandle or a core plug, re-tighten the hose clips, and off you go.....the return is airtight, and the factory BOV now vents to atmosphere....big CHISH noises, and if you get the exhaust hot enough,(aftermarket big bore is best)...BIG flames as the unburnt fuel passes through the motor into the exhaust and ignites..........

........word of warning though......the factory BOV is a diaphragm type, not a twin piston type, so the car will stall on tickover........not good, especially if ya got an auto.....

.....also them flames can't be good for your cat.....

Take care,

Jon.
yeah ive got an aftermarket 3" exhaust system with a K&N. no cat as there are no laws for it in nz... if i block off that pipe..(by the way which pipe is it?) itl spit flames? COOL!

You cant begin to consider the palpable hate in the air when your near. - s|ipkn0t

Old 11-16-2001, 08:38 AM   #14
TINDUCK RACING
AF Regular

....hehe ...I was just answering your question that it COULD be done with the standard BOV......I'm certainly not recommending you actually do it.....the car will stall all over the place,running very lean on tickover as the diaphragm is held open by the vacuum from the plenum.....not an ideal situation dude.....

..take care

Jon.
Old 11-18-2001, 02:41 PM   #15
[TWUBLE]
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
....hehe ...I was just answering your question that it COULD be done with the standard BOV......I'm certainly not recommending you actually do it.....the car will stall all over the place,running very lean on tickover as the diaphragm is held open by the vacuum from the plenum.....not an ideal situation dude.....

..take care

Jon.
ohhh ahhaa sweet... i didnt think it would be tooo good for the car anyway... and as i dont know much about these motors (used to working on old school v8's) im not to keen to get in and touch shit i dont know about haha