Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Tempo | Topaz
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
Shhim
AF Newbie

86 Tempo wont start

Just FYI I know just about nothing about cars :P
I own an 86 Ford Tempo that has run fine for 9 months. Then i went to a mechanic to get an ignition switch replaced. Now my original problem is fixed but I have a new problem. When i go to start my car it randomly will not start. No mechanical noise of any sort. Other times starts right up. Now I never had this problem before the switch was replaced but noone has any ideas as to what the problem is. Any ideas?
Thanx in advance for any help
Shhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
grampsmechanic
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 86 Tempo wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shhim
Just FYI I know just about nothing about cars :P
I own an 86 Ford Tempo that has run fine for 9 months. Then i went to a mechanic to get an ignition switch replaced. Now my original problem is fixed but I have a new problem. When i go to start my car it randomly will not start. No mechanical noise of any sort. Other times starts right up. Now I never had this problem before the switch was replaced but noone has any ideas as to what the problem is. Any ideas?
Thanx in advance for any help
did you get the key cylinder or the actual switch lower in the column replaced?what was it doing wrong that you had it replaced?when you say wont start,do you mean not at all but later on or you have to try several times in a row?how long after new switch did new problem start?when was last tuneup.my tempo starting problems always cured with new spark plugs/coil wire/distributor cap/rotor.and sheesh!you have a really old car!what's the mileage!
grampsmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Shhim
AF Newbie

Re: 86 Tempo wont start

ok kinda hard to explain what was wrong the first time but here i go... The car would start fine as long as i had the key pushed forward but when i would let it go to the "ON" position it would turn off.what i realized was that the key had to be as far forward in the "ON" position to run. (not sure if this makes any sense I just woke up and haven't had any coffee yet :P) The mechanic said they replaced the ignition switch and im guessing they meant the switch where my key goes in. The new problem started the very next day. As to how often it happens its really random I've had it start a few times ina row or not start for days. One time it wouldnt start for 45 min so i left it till later that night still wouldnt start then came back the next day and it started like 2 times ina row. Anyone have any ideas? Sorry for the giant wall of text i just really need some coffee before i make too much sense
Shhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
grampsmechanic
AF Newbie

by the sound of the original problem,they replaced the actual electrical switch which is not where you stick in the key!if the starter is not cranking then you have a failure of the starter relay located on the drivers side inner fender wall below hoodline to transmit power to starter.so it either is not receiving power from the ignition switch which is activated by the key turning and pushing a rod to slide switch contacts into position.the starter realy is a small(couple inches round and long that has wires attached to 2 prominent posts facing out from just over edge of fender towards motor next to shock tower.there is a third small rubber push on connector with 1 wire that is the signal voltage from key/switch.when you get the no start condition you can remove and reconnect this push on to see if it is a bad connection.im not sure but i can find out tommorrow if this unit also requires a good ground connection(mounting screws) to inner fender to work properly.you can also test for voltage at this rubber push on to see if key is transmitting the power properly.i use a dollar store 12v voltage tester.i connect ground clip to battery- and then probe rubber connector for power while someone turns key.i can also rig it so i can turn key myself and watch for light to glow.so sequence of events should go like this.car wont start.test rubber ended small push on connector for power when key is turned.then check for good ground connection to fender of relay.the relay is plastic but has a meatl mounting plate on backside.this is held to fender by 2 screws.genrally speaking,loosening and retighteneing screws does trick if ground is bad.depends on how much rust is involved.this relay will click loudly if working but cannot be heard over cranking of starter motor.when this relay is failing,it will click loudly as it fails to make internal power connection necessary for starter to recieve power.if your car has had the rely push on rubber connector changed to an ordinary nut you identify it by the fact it is the smallest post on the relay which has 2 large and 1 small post.these posts are screw threaded for nuts and wire connectors and th wire ends(connectors) are fastened with nuts..if the key to start test of rubber connector fails,it is possible the ignition switch was improperly installed?or it is defective,or the ignition switch is not getting consistant power from it's electrical plug.hope this helps
grampsmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
fomoco1912
AF Newbie

check your ignition control module?
fomoco1912 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Tempo | Topaz