Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
3pleR
AF Newbie

make or brake

I'm thinking about buy a 318 but what i really want is a is an M3 or at least a 328. I would like to know if the m50 motors can fit in the 95 318 chassis, and what if any mods have to be done to mak it fit. Do I have to make new mounts, splice wires, trany, drive shaft that sort of thing. If so are there any pre maned parts to make the jod a lil easier.
3pleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
3pleR
AF Newbie

Re: make or brake

really any info would be helpfull. dos any one know what mods if any must be done to make an m50 famiely motor fit in a 95 318?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Send a message via AIM to CassiesMan

Is money a factor?
CassiesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
3pleR
AF Newbie

unfortunetly it is. this will more likelly be a slow build, mabe 6 mounths to a year. Ii just wanna know if go from four to six is a simple or hard thing to do. if hard, how hard. what kind of money I'm looking at would be nice too since you brought it up
Old 12-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
asuj_158@msn.com
AF Regular

the chassis is pretty much the same as the m3 so i think it fits. but it coasts about 5000 to 7000 just to put the motor in maybe more, u might as well just buy an m3 already put together
asuj_158@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuj_158@msn.com
the chassis is pretty much the same as the m3 so i think it fits. but it coasts about 5000 to 7000 just to put the motor in maybe more, u might as well just buy an m3 already put together
And M50B25 is out of a E36 325...not an M3. The M3 is an S50B30 for 95, and 96-99 its an S52B32.

Cost depends if you do it yourself or not, and where you get the parts.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
3pleR
AF Newbie

thank you for your input, your info is very heplfull. I will likely go with the 328 motor to save on cost, oh I'll be doing the install my self. any more info you can give me on these motor would be helpfull too. for instance dose any on know if the internals are forged or cast, and the compresion ratio of each motor. what are weak points I should be mindfull of when boosting. what the highest horse power output I can expect on stock internakls. I know I'm asking alot, and I thank you in advavnce for any info you can give me.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pleR
thank you for your input, your info is very heplfull. I will likely go with the 328 motor to save on cost, oh I'll be doing the install my self. any more info you can give me on these motor would be helpfull too. for instance dose any on know if the internals are forged or cast, and the compresion ratio of each motor. what are weak points I should be mindfull of when boosting. what the highest horse power output I can expect on stock internakls. I know I'm asking alot, and I thank you in advavnce for any info you can give me.
Geez, you've opened a can now...

There are 6 different motors for the US 6cylinder E36s

92 - M50B25 Non VANOS (325)
93-95 - M50B25 (325)
95 - S50B30US (M3)
96-99 - M50B28 (328)
96-966 - S52B32 (M3)
99 - M52B25 (323)

But since you're looking at a 328, we'll discuss the M52B28.

The M52B28 is a pretty awesome motor. The compression ratio is 10.5:1, cast iron block, aluminum head, cast rods. I'm going to be boosting soon so I'll be able shed some knowledge (you know, the stuff thats not classified ) on the motor for boost.

These motors have been known to hold 600HP on stock internals with a .140HG to reduce the static compression. Personally, 600HP on stock internals worries me. Definitely safe in the 350-400hp range.

Its hard to really just post information because there is so much out there, if you ask some specific questions I can probably help a little more.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
3pleR
AF Newbie

GTmike400 agian thank you. I'm gonna take some time and think about what exactly I want to do and can do. and I will be geting back to you. 400hp is 50 short of where I wanna be but thats still awsome, you are talking wheel hp rigth. either way it'll be fun. again thank you you've been a great help. Oh, what are the benifts of VANOS vs non VANOS. yeah i know i'm like a kid ina candy stor now. thanks again.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pleR
GTmike400 agian thank you. I'm gonna take some time and think about what exactly I want to do and can do. and I will be geting back to you. 400hp is 50 short of where I wanna be but thats still awsome, you are talking wheel hp rigth. either way it'll be fun. again thank you you've been a great help. Oh, what are the benifts of VANOS vs non VANOS. yeah i know i'm like a kid ina candy stor now. thanks again.
VANOS has more total horsepower. People say that nonvanos (NV) feels faster, but thats just it, it feels faster because its not variable so the curve isnt is smooth as VANOS. Theres also a rumor that NV motors are better for boost, I disagree. Once again the variable timing is a huge benefit. With proper tuning you can change the VANOS to help compensate for your boost.

I am talking WHP. 400whp is usually the standard goal thats not to say, 450whp isnt achieveable either.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #11
3pleR
AF Newbie

GTmike400, I know I've already asked this but I'm getting conflicting answers. is the m50 family of motors a direct bolt in for the 95 318, or am I going to have to move mounts and do some drilling and welding to make it work. I'm going to have the car in a mounth or so, it's a real good deal. I need as little complications and down in this project as posible.This is the reason for all the questions and that beeing the most important one. thank you for your help

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series