Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > General Issues
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General Issues General legal automotive problem discussions
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Tonto Kowalski
AF Regular

Got hit, need advise

I was driving down the street when a gust of wind blew my hat off my head and out the window. So I stop to get it and the car behind me (who had been tailgating) hits my bumper. She said it wasn't her fault because I wasn't allowed to stop in the middle of the street. It looks like her insurance won't pay for the damage to my car (my own insurance won't cover it because I only got basic coverage).

Is there anyone who understands the law that can explain who was at fault and whether I am entitled to compensation for the damage to my car? The body shop says it will cost about $500 to fix.
Tonto Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Re: Got hit, need advise

I am not TOTALLY familiar with the law but i believe its definitely her fault. Did you file an accident report with the police? They can determine if someone was tailgating pretty easily (through my experience anyway). That lady is an idiot or she hasn't been driving for very long if that's her reasoning. What if a little kid or dog jumps in front of you? What does she expect you to do if you're not "allowed to stop in the middle of the street", swerve into another car or into a guardrail? Swerve one way and keep going?
PIAA Super Plasmas GT-X bulbs
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

"Melo" and "AI". Enough said.
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Tonto Kowalski
AF Regular

Re: Got hit, need advise

Yeah, she's pretty stupid. I'm not 100% sure yet but it looks like I'm gonna manage to get compensated, if not the entire $500 at least a portion of it.
Tonto Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > General Issues