Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > Bongo Friendee
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 12:17 PM   #1
lazant
AF Newbie

Has anyone been for a longer trip in a bongo

Hi all , i`m in Scotland Uk , and seriously considering buying a bongo (camper type )......
but i`m a bit concerned they might be a bit small for a longer trip .
Has anyone got experience of camping in one for a few weeks ?
I`ve seen those awnings too ......

Otherwise it might have to be another trusty old VW I`m afraid ...
BTW i`m 6" 2' as well any other tall people have experience of
driving these vans ?

Any thoughts highly welcome .....me and my wife have been adding up the pros and cons of Bongo versus VW for days now .....starting to drive us bongers hehehehe ... ( sorry bout that ) ......
lazant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:22 AM   #2
BrianMartley
AF Newbie

Hi,

Personally I reckon they are too small for long stay camping, especially if you have kids and the weather turns wet, but if you're touring with daily changes of site, then they're fine.

We normally do 2/3 day trips. A couple of times a year we also have a week away, but then we take an awning with us so we'd have space for if the weather turned bad. The snag is that it takes up space in the van for travelling unless you get a roll-out one, so not so good for touring.

We've also done a 2-week stretch touring in the UK, moving on daily, with just the van. That was fine, never really noticed a space problem.

If you're looking at the T4 van, then there's not much in it. The main difference IMO is just that the T4s tend to be a dedicated camper conversion, whereas the Bongo is 50/50 MPV/Camper, and it shows. The plus side is the Bongo is far better to drive daily.

cheers

Brian
BrianMartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:28 PM   #3
bongoman
AF Newbie

I agree with Brian. Although I have spent a week in a Bongo (me, the Mrs and 2 dogs), and we have a roll-out Fiama awning, I don't think I'd like to spend much longer. They're not really designed for that. They are weekend vans.

On the issue of tall people, I am 6-1 and have not had any problems sleeping down below, although my feet are just off the edge of the bed when laid out. Thermarest mattresses are recommended to avoid back ache.
bongoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:39 AM   #4
littlemovers
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to littlemovers
Hi Lazant,

I have to agree with Brain and Bongoman They are good if you are a couple and are only going to use it for sleeping and making tea with all other cooking outside or a restaurant (my best choice! ) If you have an awning to put all your stuff in it creates even more room. Having had and having both vans I would recommend the V.W if you are thinking of going travelling for long periods of time. A bongo is ok but can get quite cramped. It is good for a couple of weeks away though.
Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Littlemovers

p.s Bongers! only joking
littlemovers is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > Bongo Friendee