Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: What HIGHWAY gas mileage do you get in your Chevy 1500 series truck?
26 mpg or better Highway mileage 10 1.65%
24 mpg or more 6 0.99%
22 mpg or more 17 2.81%
20 mpg or more 74 12.21%
18 mpg or more 133 21.95%
16 mpg or more 159 26.24%
14 mpg or more 116 19.14%
12 mpg or more 62 10.23%
10 mpg or more 19 3.14%
Less than 10 mpg Highway mileage 10 1.65%
Voters: 606. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 08:51 PM   #16
White Lightening
AF Regular

GAS Mileage - can be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape0r
There are a few things you can do to save a few ounces of fuel here and there, but the bottom line is that it takes x amount of energy to provide y amount of momentum to a vehicle. That's why the V6 isn't a whole lot better than the V8s - it simply takes a certain amount of energy to move a vehicle. The only way to get big savings is to get a smaller car!
Greetings Ape0r,

I'm not sure I agree. Although there are physical restraints of course, it seems different manufacturers seem to get different results in about the same vehicle sizes.

Lets take as an example comparing the extended cab Dodge Dakota with the V8 Magnum engine and RWD, with the Toyota Tundra ext. cab with V8 and RWD and the Chevy Silverado V8 5.3 liter engine with RWD. Physically the Chevy is considerablly a larger vehicle in size and weight than the other 2 - not to mention the engine is a larger displacement and higher torque. Yet all three will get about the same mileage with the same driver. I think that means physical is less important than design and engineering. Then the next step after that is a combination of the driver and any driver enhanced activities (add-ons, gas selections etc.).

Personally - I think there are reasons why some get better mileage than others beyond just driving styles. Choice of tires, tire inflations, additives etc. all can play a part. While your post mentions "a few ounces here and there" - I see a considerable variation in poll responses - which indicates much more than just a few ounces here and there.

One of the reasons why I'm interested in this topic is not just saving money, but fuel savings is generally an indication of operating efficiency of the vehicle. If performance doesn't decline and ways are found to improve mileage - it is likely the vehicle is running more efficiently and with more longevity of its parts and components.

White Lightening
Old 12-28-2004, 10:55 AM   #17
Nigel215
AF Enthusiast

Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Ok, im sure this is simple, and I think someone has told me how to before... But what do I do to find out what my MPG is? Im guessing thiers a certan equasion i have to go with?

2000 Silverado LS 4.8, K&N FIPK, Gibson Extreme Dual Exhaust, Line-X Bedliner, Black Speed Grille, Viper Alarm System, Custom Audio system.... (need to update my pic)
Old 12-28-2004, 11:04 AM   #18
jeep_cj4x4
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to jeep_cj4x4 Send a message via Yahoo to jeep_cj4x4

When you fill up next, reset your trip meter to '000' or write down your miles. Then next time you fillup take the miles you've driven divided by the gallons you put in. (example) 200mi / 10gal = 20 mpg.

remember, you have to start with a full tank and fill up to figure mileage. cant just put in $10 here and $8 there.

2004.5 Silverado 2500HD 4X4, LLY, Banks 6-gun/speed brake/intake, Dual bypass oil filter, 4" exhaust, 265/75R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo2, AirLift airbags, AMSOIL in everything!

84k miles/30NOV11

Yeasu 857D/ATAS-120A - "When all else fails..."

Old 12-28-2004, 01:27 PM   #19
White Lightening
AF Regular

Re: Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel215
Ok, im sure this is simple, and I think someone has told me how to before... But what do I do to find out what my MPG is? Im guessing thiers a certan equasion i have to go with?
Greetings Nigel,

Well of course Jeep's answer is quite accurate. For many newer Silverado drivers however - its much easier. We have the Driver information system that comes standard on many 2003 and 2004 Chevy Silverados. If you have it - its right on the dash under the speedometer and tachonmeter. It automatically calculates your average mileage from whenever you reset it (not to maneiton a pile of other features). It isn't on the "work truck" model - but it is on most other models of those years and beyond.

White Lightening
Old 12-28-2004, 02:27 PM   #20
gschretter
AF Regular

I am sorry here but

I am sorry here but, who cares what gas mileage you get.

When you buy a truck you do not buy a truck based on gas mileage.

If you are worried about gas mileage go buy a scotter.

You suppose to buy a truck because you need to care heavy/big things from point a to point b.

The mileage on the car tag is always 10-12 % overstated. Why: they set up those numbers based on the vehcile driving on rollers.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:28 PM   #21
Nigel215
AF Enthusiast

Yea, I dont have that thing. Is their any way to install one on an older model like mine? or is it not worth the trouble?

After reading these posts Im wishing I went with a bigger V8. The only reason I got the 4.8 is because I thought it would get better mpg. It seems that the 5.3 is getting just about the same mpg.

2000 Silverado LS 4.8, K&N FIPK, Gibson Extreme Dual Exhaust, Line-X Bedliner, Black Speed Grille, Viper Alarm System, Custom Audio system.... (need to update my pic)
Old 12-28-2004, 03:52 PM   #22
grimace308
AF Newbie

Dang, I'm getting 12 highway and i drive like grandmother, a younger grandmother on 8 cups of coffee but a grandmother nonetheless. I reckon it might be time for a tune up...not that the service engine light wasn't a giveaway or anything.

I'd give my left nut to get 16 mpg again.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:22 AM   #23
Limited5.9Cherokee
Banned

poor guys, im getting 26+ mpg on highway. i have a 2002 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4

oh yeah, i have the Duramax, Hypertech PP3, FIPK2
Old 12-29-2004, 09:27 AM   #24
Nigel215
AF Enthusiast

you rat bastard!
I dident do the math yet, but i know im not doin that good in my 1500 2wd. Plus.... most of my driving is in the city, so i donno how i would get an accurate highway reading. When I am on the highway, its usually no further than 10 miles or so.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:52 PM   #25
White Lightening
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited5.9Cherokee
poor guys, im getting 26+ mpg on highway. i have a 2002 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4

oh yeah, i have the Duramax, Hypertech PP3, FIPK2
Greetings Limited,

Well thats what diesels do - they get good mileage, last a long time, and have high torque but cost considerablly more to own to start with.

I run premium in my high output V8 6000, strangely diesel fuel is more expensive than my premium here in WI.

P.S. Wish I could get 26 in my gas - but it isn't too likely LOL.

White Lightening
Old 12-30-2004, 02:12 PM   #26
White Lightening
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace308
Dang, I'm getting 12 highway and i drive like grandmother, a younger grandmother on 8 cups of coffee but a grandmother nonetheless. I reckon it might be time for a tune up...not that the service engine light wasn't a giveaway or anything.

I'd give my left nut to get 16 mpg again.
Greetings Grimace,

Just a couple suggestions from my feeble tech knowledge.
1. Think air filter - change it - likely starving that poor thing.
2. Put a quality fuel injector cleaner in it (something that is sold in an aluminum container LOL - like Slick 50 brand Injector cleaner etc.).
3. Gas quality - don't use ethanol - try a different gas brand/vendor.
4. Tire pressure? or Wheel Bearing drag?
5. Last tuneup?

If you drive like a grandmother - you may have cludged up the engine "a might bit" - if that is the case, number 2 above should help that. Also may want to look at wheel bearings etc. for lubrication/greasing needs if you suspect "drag".

Also you indicated "to get 16 again" which implies you used to get 16. If you used to get 16 - you should be able to again.

Just some ideas - hope they might help.

White Lightening
Old 12-30-2004, 02:19 PM   #27
White Lightening
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel215
Yea, I dont have that thing. Is their any way to install one on an older model like mine? or is it not worth the trouble?

After reading these posts Im wishing I went with a bigger V8. The only reason I got the 4.8 is because I thought it would get better mpg. It seems that the 5.3 is getting just about the same mpg.
Greetings Nigel,

When I was looking at trucks this spring and summer - I also thought the same. In fact my original thought was the 4.2 V6 Ford F150. Pretty funny that in the end I come up with a Chevy 1500 with high output Vortec 6000 V8, yet get the same highway gas mileage. Ford's 4.6 V8 and 5.4 V8 each share about the same EPA mileages even though they are different sizes and horsepower too. Turns out the 5.4 F150 in 2004 was improved while the 4.6 stayed the same.

the point in starting the thread wasn't for someone to feel better or worse than someone else - but rather - so that owners could get an idea what is real world levels - AND - how they might improve what they are driving.

Cheers - you've got a good engine.

White Lightening
Old 12-30-2004, 02:35 PM   #28
White Lightening
AF Regular

Efficiency means better performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschretter
I am sorry here but, who cares what gas mileage you get.
When you buy a truck you do not buy a truck based on gas mileage.
If you are worried about gas mileage go buy a scotter.
You suppose to buy a truck because you need to care heavy/big things from point a to point b.
The mileage on the car tag is always 10-12 % overstated. Why: they set up those numbers based on the vehcile driving on rollers.
Greetings Gschretter,

But I disagree with your viewpoint in several ways. People by trucks for many reasons today - and only one of them is carrying big items. Regardless of what size truck or what sized engine - all vehicles are machines - and when properly run - they can be maximized for performance, efficiency, and durability.

I change my oil often - not only because it helps gas mileage - but also because it helps increase the lifetime use of the vehicle - as well as maximizing performance (less pollutants means less wear means more performance). I use decent gas for the same reason.

Getting "the most" from your vehicle - for some - means engine modifications and expensive alterations to the vehicle. For others like myself - I find it a challenge and a benefit to outperform manufacturers estimates and to get better efficiency and performance from my vehicles. I don't think it is more "manly" to suffer 14 mpg when the exact same vehcile with better care and attention could get 18 instead. I don't believe in "babying" a vehicle - but at the same time - there's something about knowing you're doing "the best you can" to get out whatever the vehicle has to offer.

I didn't buy a Vortec 6000 high output 1500 to get scooter mileage - but I do expect that I should put my best effort into getting as many of those 345 ponies to run with the most efficiency and longevity as I can figure out (without modifications). After all - someday - I'll sell this vehicle - and if I did right by it in maintenance and efforts - it will reward me with a better resale value too. And in the meantime - attention to the trucks needs and efficiencies keeps all 345 ponies running instead of trotting LOL.

Not a racer or stop light junkie - I like durability, power when I need it, and longevity with maximized efficiency.

White Lightening
Old 12-30-2004, 04:29 PM   #29
Limited5.9Cherokee
Banned

i got 22mpg from here in oklahoma all the way to mississippi in my old truck
2000 Silverado 2500 Heavy Duty (Not HD, Long Story) 6.0 reg cab long bed 2wd. i Had K&N FIPK2 Hypertech PP3 manifold back dual 3" with x-pipe dual flows dumped in front of axel and a custom burnt chip from my local speed shop. he asked what my priority was and i said gas mileage, $140 and one week later free install. i also had a soft snap bed cover. 15.92 was my best e.t after everything. it started at 17.10 at 82 mph stock.
i used premium on my trip and got 712 and 690 something miles to the tank both fillups were around 31 32 gallons
Old 12-31-2004, 11:55 AM   #30
edsbox
AF Newbie

Slick 50

I can't believe that anyone still uses this snake oil; read for yourself >>>

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1996/07/slick.htm

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado