Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
blkmonday
AF Regular

98 ram van brake light on?

i have a 98 dodge 1500 series conversion van with a v6. my brake and abs light are on..when im driving my guages wont work until i hit about 20 miles per hour. i checked my brake pads and they are all fine and my master cylinder seems fine because the fluid level is fine. maybe im paranoid but my pedal seems a little low..or maybe just compared to my chevy blazer. i checked my engine codes and it did show a code for my fuel level unit..i cleared it and it hasnt come back...however it has not changed my brake light problem. has anyone ever run into this problem before? any idea what it is? or where to start looking?
blkmonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:18 AM   #2
hundahunta
AF Enthusiast

Re: 98 ram van brake light on?

rear speed sensor on the diff
hundahunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Considering the range of problems you're having, the only common link between them is a damaged wiring harness. It's either that or these problems cropped up at different times and were ignored until now.

Did they all start at the same time?
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
blkmonday
AF Regular

turns out it was the rear speed sensor...the hard part was the part numbers at auto part stores are incorrect. i tried 3 different chain stores and they had no clue. but ended up at a local napa store and they figured it out. the part is originally faulty from dodge. they redesigned the part and it looks a little different...the outlet for the wiring harness is now on the other side and it comes with a wiring extension. it installs the same way but has a newer metal cover over it..the napa part # is 530778 this is for the 98 b1500 v-6 version not sure if is the same for all. its located right on top of the differential and is easy to change and to get too. hope this cross refferenced part helps because it was a pain in the a@#$ trying to figure out the correct part #. the part auto zone gave me is completely wrong...not even sure what that part comes from. oh yea the correct after market part cost 30 bucks. not bad considering dealer part cost over 70 bucks.
blkmonday is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van