Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 10:12 PM   #1
wallyxtreme
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to wallyxtreme
To Super, Or Not To Super?

i drive a 2000 cx hatch with a d16y7 engine. great on gas mileage but bad on hp. was thinking of going with the b16a2 swap$$$ or just to get a little something...maybe a jackson supercharger. they claim a 40% gain, but thats also buck$ i travel alot with my car so i figured that the super would atleast still get good mileage. if any body can help me with this delema, it would help. and if ther are any other mods i can do to get cheap hp's from the sohc d16y7...............
wallyxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 12:58 AM   #2
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kicker1_solo Send a message via Yahoo to kicker1_solo
Of course get a supercharger, I'm not gonna pass that one up

and for a little extra HP I'd start with an exhaust, and of course get an intake and header. The D16y7 can be a great motor, I know a lot of people that have turbocharged their D series motors and love it.

Yakima Valley Truck Club Yakima Washington
kicker1_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 10:53 AM   #3
civicHBsi91
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to civicHBsi91
ide say go turbo, from some of the dyno graphs ive seen on imports and superchargers i was disapointed for eg....ITR w/JR supercharger 210hp!! what the hell it comes with what 195hp stock or something like that, your car you do what you want just my opinion
Old 01-12-2003, 02:54 PM   #4
Emilio
AF Enthusiast

you travel a lot? you would get better mileage with a turbo if u ask me, just keep the rpm's low. You can get more power fro ma turbo, and constantly adjust the amount of pressure it boosts into the engine. The super works constantly, its for low rpm torque increase, it would be more expensive on gas. But not by much.... Anyways once i read this amazing article about a guy who had some issues with the jackson racing supercharger, and the main issue was customer service, when it broke the dealer wasn't behind the product. IT was a headacke for this guy. SO just be carefull who installs your super if you decide to get one.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:50 PM   #5
b16a3sol
AF Enthusiast

super is great for a daily driver car because it has power across the entire rpm range. like emilio said, the turbo only puts more air in after a certain point, like 2500 rpms. neither way is any cheaper than the other, even a motor swap is in the same price range. if you go super, stay away from jackson racing, as i have only heard bad things from their setup. they dont hit very high numbers, the parts arent too high quality, and the company is a bitch to deal with. if you go turbo stay away from greddy, since their setup costs about the same as others but doesnt come with a FMIC. if you go for a swap, a b16 would do fine, but i say go with a b18c1 for just a bit more money, but a lot more room to work with in the long run. up to you which way to go.
b16a3sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:14 PM   #6
edman24
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to edman24
hey guys. yes im a newbie to this forum but in no way a newbie to the import scene. well this is what ive learned about superchargers so far. yes they produce decent horsepower, and they may do it at a lower rpm but they have many more cons to them. if the belt breaks say bye bye to that supercharger. also the efficiensy is horrible compared to a turbo. tests have shown that for every 100hp added by a s/c figure 30hp loss due to drivetrain lag. this is because the s/c is run off a belt connected to the crankshaft. this is not only inefficient but limiting in the amount of power it can add. now domestics are good for s/cing because they have enough torque to spare to turn that s/c. not to mention it would take a twin turbo setup to power a v8 but thats a whole other story. so i hope this sways you from that decision. turbocharging is much more efficient and much easier and cheaper to repair. not to mention more tuning ability. any more questions? just ask.

how's that for a first post??
Old 01-13-2003, 06:06 PM   #7
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kicker1_solo Send a message via Yahoo to kicker1_solo
Quote:
Originally posted by edman24
how's that for a first post??
Crappy!

haha, j/p
welcome to AF

Yakima Valley Truck Club Yakima Washington
kicker1_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 07:00 PM   #8
edman24
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to edman24
thanks
Old 01-13-2003, 10:12 PM   #9
CraniumDesigns
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to CraniumDesigns
so what to get? I may eventually add either a turbo or SC. I want something that will not kill my engine's lifetime, but also give me a substansial gain in HP. currently i have an AEM CAI and a 5zigen fireball catback.
www.craniumdesigns.com
CraniumDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 02:42 AM   #10
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx
My $0.02,go with a goood swap.You can get a 2000 B16A2 or B18C1(for a little more) for around the same as a supercharger or turbo,if you look around.Since they both can be had obd2 and the same year the swap will be cake.Not to mention you will maintain factory reliability and save hella gas milage over a turbo or supercharger.IMO you'd be so much happier with a B16 or 18 swap especially after a few thousand miles of care free traveling.Not to mention the a2 and c1 are going to put you in the hp range(considering the motor you'd be boosting) that moderate boost of any sort is going to get you into,and then you have room to go ahead and upgrade even more.
jcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:29 PM   #11
b16a3sol
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by jcrx
My $0.02,go with a goood swap.You can get a 2000 B16A2 or B18C1(for a little more) for around the same as a supercharger or turbo,if you look around.Since they both can be had obd2 and the same year the swap will be cake.Not to mention you will maintain factory reliability and save hella gas milage over a turbo or supercharger.IMO you'd be so much happier with a B16 or 18 swap especially after a few thousand miles of care free traveling.Not to mention the a2 and c1 are going to put you in the hp range(considering the motor you'd be boosting) that moderate boost of any sort is going to get you into,and then you have room to go ahead and upgrade even more.
that sounds familiar...
b16a3sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 01:26 AM   #12
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by b16a3sol

that sounds familiar...
OH damn,sorry,should have read more.Anyway it just comfirms it.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:50 AM   #13
Self
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Self
I say go with a turbo for your car. Or get a sway and then turbo that. My point is stay away from the supercharger. I LOVE supers, big fan of them, just that the graphs I've seen from most Jackson chargers aren't very impressive at all, while I've seen countless turbo setups graphing great hp numbers right out of the box.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:03 AM   #14
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

No one will dispute that turbos are the king of top end,but IMO it boils down to 1) your budget and 2) your needs.If you'd plan on a lot of city driving and not racing all the time,then a SC would be really good since it's balls are in the lower rpm's as well.It is a trade off,if your planning on racing then there is no subsitute,turbo,traction is less of a problem due to spool up and it is driven by the motor's own waste.But turbos do need a little more tlc when building engines up for them since they create so much more power.Not that a SC doesn't benefit from tuning as much as a turbo but your less likely to blow up your motor with a SC.

EDIT:if you plan on doing city driving,traveling,and aren't racing screw em both and as we suggested before get a swap.No other way to go for the price reliability,fuel consumption.

Last edited by jcrx; 01-16-2003 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:00 PM   #15
RoBoDEATH
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to RoBoDEATH Send a message via Yahoo to RoBoDEATH
hows this for an opinion, look at my signature, get a goddamn turbo
1998 Honda Civic EX--Si Wing--Jackson Racing Supercharger--Enkei RP07 18inch Rims--Yokohama PARADA 215/35ZR/18's--K&N Filter--Hurst ShortShifter--DC Sport Header--Greddy Cat-Back Exhaust--DC Strut Tie Bar--Eibach Springs with Ground Control Coil Overs--Ingalls Rear Camber Kit Arms--Skunk2 Front Camber Kits--Panasonic DF88 CD Player--Two 1Fared Caps--Sony Xplod 800W Amp--SPL Series II 1200W Amp--Solo Baric 15--!!!!!SOLD!!!!!!!

2001 Honda S2000 NFR--HKS Hi-Power Duel Exhaust--NRG Hood Dampers
RoBoDEATH is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV