Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Sierra
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 05:57 PM   #46
Sierra 2.9 Maniac
AF Newbie

In sweden you can find the old Sierra Cosworth -87 pretty easy out on private adds.......
Old 02-03-2003, 09:31 PM   #47
bigdane
AF Newbie

XR4i

Hi XR4i-Stuart

I'm sort of a newbie, too - have only been tinkering with cars for 40 years.

Just got an absolutely mint condition 91 XR4i 2,9, 5 speed manual, 4-door, dark blue metallic - 67k miles - full history.

and, for being in Sweden, at a bargain price: appr. UK£ 150 (No - I don't know,what that is in Euro - and I don't want to know, either!!)

greetings

bigdane (Sven)
bigdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 11:53 AM   #48
drag0n
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to drag0n
I have a US Spec XR4ti
drag0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 03:14 PM   #49
cossie builder
AF Newbie

max power?

Anybody got genuine verified power figures for these 24v engines? 450 plus sounds a bit hopeful? Mind you minkers with 12v can make 600 hp!
cossie builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 06:00 AM   #50
PINNONE
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to PINNONE
Thumbs up sierra cosworth

hi...i am italian fun of csw....and you? :smoka:
here my car...
PINNONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 06:10 PM   #51
Mr.C
AF Newbie

Red face Re: Re: 24v cosworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeomansinc
Just thought I'd point out that the Blue Steel now pushes 650BHP. Might be 550, but its something like that. Still running a standard gearbox though, supposely.
Hi im new here, i thought it had 486bhp dyno proven twin turbo 24v engine? but it also found the back of a bin lorry? was it a wright off?
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 09:26 PM   #52
zoh_Raven
AF Newbie

Re: Ford Sierra (The European One)

Hey Sierra 2.9 Maniac who much does a 30,000 mile 1986-87 Sierra RS Cosworth go for in a private sale in Sweden?
zoh_Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #53
bankrobber
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to bankrobber
24v xr4x4 cosworth

no one got this 1 listed i see!!
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:45 AM   #54
jamesb
AF Newbie

Wnna get my hand on a cossie, preferably saph 2wd. let me knw if anyone knows where i could find one, im desparate!!

many thanks

james
jamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:45 AM   #55
jamesb
AF Newbie

Wnna get my hand on a cossie, preferably saph 2wd. let me knw if anyone knows where i could find one, im desparate!!

many thanks

james
jamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #56
Swkrates_
AF Newbie

Question

what are the diferences between the Pinto engine and the CVH engine?
Swkrates_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:48 AM   #57
stu4i
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrscooby
You're such a snob....It at least deserves a mention even if it was just a special edition to use up some parts at the end of its life cycle.
hi there scooby do you know how to fit lowering springs to rear of sierrs as i am strugling a bit dropped the shocker but there does not seem enough room to get the spring out or the new one in can you help or anybody else who maybe viewing this cheers
stu4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #58
cosworth tuner
AF Newbie

yes I one two sierra saphire cosworths and they will eat anything on the road expecially all those mustangs that think they are bad ass. Nothing better then a 4 banger tuned to 400+ horsepower and easily tuned to brake 200 mph.
cosworth tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:49 AM   #59
liquidlunch1812
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to liquidlunch1812

check on www.mobile.de for cossie's I usually see a few on there fairly cheap
liquidlunch1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #60
Pythagorus
AF Newbie

Hi..first up...21 January...If you want to buy a superb RS Cosworth...check ebay Australia right now..38000Kms (that's less than 20,000 miles) 1986,....magic colour...condition like new...$39000 Aussie or offer. This car would be as good as anything it is possible to buy...probably worth the import too if you are in USA or UK.

In France I have a 1991 4x4 sapphire cosworth in standard trim, non cataltic..runs about 220 Hp. I am not so terribly impressed with the suspension design as a critque but they ran well and won rallies so maybe I ought to let that go. These cars have plenty of grunt...but return good mileage when you don't drive them hard.

The motors are legendary. They can be taken to at least 750Hp but that's for race cars and then it's time to think. On the street they can be taken to 520/550...but why bother? It isn't some US battleship, it's a moderate weight car. If you want to run 280 ok..but all this conversion makes other items stresses too when you put the boot into it. That the 4x4 cannot handle more than it can at the gearbox doesn't mean it is "weak" it simply means the concept was never designed for that power...in using the viscous coupling for the 4wd. All non-constant 4wd's have the same sorts of limitations.

My SAAB Carlsson 2.3 Turbo would be near as quick maybe quicker as the Cosworth here and there but they are different cars entirely...and I like rear wheel drive. The huge difference is that the SAAB was brought up to 220 Hp, though limited by boost and turbo size and the engineering of front wheel drive whereas the Cosworth was brought DOWN to 220Hp (forget about the all important torque for this comment)..thus the Cossie is heading back home, as power is increased.

The SAAB naturally has less transmission losses than a rwd car and socan be more effective here and there...but a 15 to 20 year old turbo R5 Renault will give most of you a shock when you give it a nudge and that's only 1300cc turbo'd...their rarer R5 rally, twin turbo centrally mounted engine will whip, in practice, 98% of anything on the road...but here we are discusiing the fantastic Cosworth...a car whose history (Cosworth's) is really worth reading.

Another warning..it's well and good to go on about cars which have specs. when near new but to apply them to a tired one is foolhardy. Cosworth 4x4's will not, in good nick, take more than 450 hp at the viscous gearbox. In other words...that is the LIMIT....and it will die.

The 2 wd will take more, probably up to 500Hp max but why bother?...you'd rarely use 250Hp let alone 500Hp and the violent acceleration is where the wear and tear comes in.

We are no longer speaking about monsters like a 57 Olds needing 455 hp and triple factory carbs to keep up with an Alfa 2litre until a corner comes up.....and never seeing more than 10 seconds of the tail end of a fast Lancia. Light cars have light but strong components and give stirling performance...and these days some give 5 year warranties as standard..eg Hyundai and I think Suburu. A Standard Coswoth would be far better approached with suspension and tyre improvements than going past 220 or at most 280 Hp....making what you have more effective and less a comfort-sports vehicle and more "sports", if you want. Beats me...if you want to crawl in and out of "race" recaro seats and small cabins why not live in a packing crate...you may as well for all the pleasure you really get...all that stuff wears off with time....and hotted up engines and lead foot drivers make a car old before its time.

Sadly less than one in 10,000 people have any idea of suspension realities..most look for bolt on "improvements"...such as poly bushes (use the originals!). Camber kits and some others do have a place but suspension tuning such as Eibach with Bilstein sports shocks, a competent and road tested alignment and REALLY good tyres...Yokahama, Mitchelin Pilot, that sot of tyre and better...will transform a car better than adding 100 Horsepower...and make the car far better to drive. Just keeping the original or modified suspension and tyres well maintained will make the car a pleasure to drive on the road.

I mentioned component limitations...and the 4x4 gearbox being a risk after 450Hp...or close to it.....The 2wd brings more money for that reason,yet for 99.99999repeating of owners none of that will ever make any difference.

The Vast fuel price increases (nearly tripled in Australia) brought on by the invasion of Iraq and profiteering by certain sacred-cow companies involved in the fiasco have made it very expensive to drive classic cars. That's a shame in some ways but will bring engine improvements as time goes on. Several car companies are already shaky...they don't seem to learn.

My other car in France is a hatchback XR 4x4 with V6. Red...in this colour a very beautiful car and a fine driver even standard. I bought mine with more faults than I realised it had...but the jumping out of reverse is a real pain in the neck...I may sort it out when I return..it also has an intermittent starting problem...likely a sensor as the basics are ok...Buy one of these in good nick and low mileage and red black or green and for me...that's a car for life...do the suspension and just look at what a beautiful thing it is!..I saw a really nice late red one recently for sale in France for 3000eu and yearned for it! In Australia you never see them really ....but then I have the car to end all cars the SAAB 9000 Carlsson 5 door Hatch LOL!!...only 122 made for the world , possibly 50 to 70 left? in CD and maybe same in 9000 CS where 129 were made. There might have been another 159 or so in the 900...a completely different concept of car.

In the UK a beautiful red Sierra V6 Estate Waggon was just sold for 480 pounds Sterling on ebay ...I could weep!

Anyway hopefully that is entertaining and informative. personal emails ok to goldmort@onthenet.com.au.

Cheers Tony
Pythagorus is offline   Reply With Quote