Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
bus45
AF Newbie

2001 windstar engine noise

i have a 3.8L with an engine noise.there is an intermittent knocking sound coming from the drivers side top of the engine just under the plenum.this mostly occurs after engine warmup i think because a cold engine revs to hi . in other words the noise occurs at engine idle (800 rpms) and fades out at 1100 rpms and higher. i can sometimes make this noise happen by tapping accelerator to say 1500 rpms and letting rpms quickly drop to idle and just befor idle a knocking sound occurs but not everytime.i've read some of the messages here in this forum about engine noise but they just don't seem to apply. my engine sounds fine from just off idle to redline, uses no oil,gets 22 mpg, lots of power whether at highway traveling or hill climbing under load. a mechanic friend of mine suggested starting with a fuel injector cleaner thinking it could be an injector but this did not help.could this be a hydrualic lifter? i recently changed oil and filter and again no improvement.lasty other than the noise there are no indications that anything is wrong such as warning light, performance etc...

Last edited by bus45; 03-12-2005 at 11:45 AM.
bus45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: 2001 windstar

Can you change/eliminate the knock by pressing down on the upper intake manifold?

If so, your isolator bolts may be failing, and you can look forward to CEL (MIL) codes P0171 and/or P0174. Not a huge repair job ... if that is the problem.

Last edited by 12Ounce; 03-12-2005 at 07:23 PM.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
bus45
AF Newbie

thanks 12Ounce that sounds simple enough to try.i'm going to look at my haynes manual to get an idea as to where these bolts are located and the next time this problem shows up i'll try it and let you know how i made out bus45.
bus45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
wiswind
AF Moderator

The Isolator bolts are the ones that hold the upper intake manifold in place. You will want to buy the new and improved ones. There are a lot of posts on this forum about the TSB. Involves new bolts and gaskets.
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:43 PM   #5
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Sounds like the baffle came loose inside the upper (plastic clamshell) intake. It will *rattle* from the intake pulsations creating a knock noise. From what i've read, a pretty common occurance on the 1999-2003 3.8L winnies. You might be able to RTV it back in place, or just replace the clam shell.
G/luck
Joel
Old 03-13-2005, 08:07 PM   #6
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Though I agree with putting a bit of RTV on the inner piece to make EXTRA sure it doesn't vibrate ... that's only a part of the story.

What's gotten loose is those things that "sandwich" this rattling inner piece between the "upper", the "spacer", and the "lower" ...and "those things" are the isolator bolts (and possibly the seals) that tie the "upper", "spacer" and the "lower" altogether.

Please include the replacement of the isolator bolts as part of the repair plan... if. indeed, the upper clam shell has a loose inner piece.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #7
broddog
AF Newbie

I have an 01 Windstar also and I am getting the same noise under the clam shell. I am not to sure what some of the bolts are that you are talking about. Can I pick up these things at an autoparts store? It seems like it is getting worse the longer I let it go. Will it be expensive to fix as well?
broddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:56 AM   #8
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by broddog
I have an 01 Windstar also and I am getting the same noise under the clam shell. I am not to sure what some of the bolts are that you are talking about. Can I pick up these things at an autoparts store? It seems like it is getting worse the longer I let it go. Will it be expensive to fix as well?
I have an 01 one with the same issues but I have only changed my pcv valve.LOL but know the good thing is we want have to replace the valve cover and you can check around for the isolator bolts but i will forward some info to to you.I pulled mine apart and cleaned it up a little just mainly looking around and the noise went a way. let me get my info so you can research it . Hold on. gary.
garync1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:57 AM   #9
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Old 03-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #10
broddog
AF Newbie

Do I have to replace the isolator bolts or can I just tighten them?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:14 PM   #11
wiswind
AF Moderator

You will want to replace them.
FORD came out with improved bolts that will not fail like the originals do.
The link above is VERY informative....and should help you through the job...should you choose to do it yourself.
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:28 PM   #12
broddog
AF Newbie

Where is the cheapest that can I get the bolts from? The cheapest I found is 6.99 each.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:03 AM   #13
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

That ain't too bad. I think I paid $8 or so.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:34 AM   #14
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 2001 windstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by broddog
Where is the cheapest that can I get the bolts from? The cheapest I found is 6.99 each.
I am still looking for the site but I think they sold them in a pac.With all of them. It was a dealer out of florida. I lost those sites when my internet explorer crashed.If I find it I post back. Sorry..
Iwill tell you when i heard my noise I checked my bolts and they were snug so i left them alone for now.I just clean a little oil out of the intake and put it back together but I did push the seals around a little to make sure they were seated and the noise did go away.But again that is for now. gary
Old 03-16-2005, 12:27 PM   #15
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

The bolts don't get "loose" in the normal sense of looseness. That is, there is nothing gained by retorqueing them.

What gets loose is the rubber-like cone that surrounds the bolt... and apparently oil helps to degrade the rubber, hence the Ford improved/newer bolts that are more oil resistant. Or so the story goes.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar