Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Land Cruiser/LX470
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:52 AM   #1
Fluidj
AF Newbie

Should I Give up a 2001 Jeep For a 97 Cruiser??

I've wanted a 1997 Landcruiser for a long time now. I bought a 2001 Cherokee Brand new because the 97 LC was still out of my price range back in 2001. I now have the opportunity to get a 1997 Landcruiser at a great price but I am sure that it is because of the high milage. 136K. My Jeep Cherokee Sport only has 55K on it but there is the possibility for me to do an "even" trade on the landcruiser. Any known issues with a 97 with this much milage?
Fluidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:07 PM   #2
Craigmax
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Craigmax
Re: Should I Give up a 2001 Jeep For a 97 Cruiser??

I am looking to buy a landcruiser and in my opinion hell yeah buy the cruiser as when its time to sell it, hands down you will get more out of it than the jeep.
Craigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:11 AM   #3
tfeld
AF Newbie

The cruiser is a much better truck than the Jeep. With 138K on it, I would only buy it if the truck has been maintained properly and is otherwise in good condition. The '97 is the last of the 80 series and considred one of the best models made by Toyota. They are extremely durable trucks as proven by looking at what trucks the locals drive in contries like Afganistan, the middle east, South American jungles, etc.

There may be some maintenance items you need to do and some things to look for that may not be obvious:

Check:

1. Head Gasket: has the HG been replaced? If not, can you see any signs of seepage around the seam where the head and block mate? Look for dried antifreeze at this location, indicating that there is a HG problem brewing. The HG is the achillies heel of the 80 series cruiser. I'd guess that about 25% of them will require a new HG. The revised/improved gasket that Toyota now makes will not have this problem, so if it's already been replaced, you're good to go. Otherwise, be aware that this could be required at some point in the future.

2. Front Axle Service: Check the steering knuckes (large ball-like things on the backs of the front wheels) for sloppy/greasy leakage. Ideally, you would find a knuckle that has a thin layer of grease on it, but not dripping with liquidy grease. When driving the truck at low speeds, you should not hear any clicking or popping noise when making a tight turn in either direction. If no noise--good. If you hear popping noises, then the birfield joints (like a CV joint) will need replaceing and that will cost you over $2K to have a dealer do it. Regardless of the noises, you will need to have the axle serviced which will cost about $1K to $1.2K by a dealer, or if you're mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself for about $200. It's mostly labor which is why the dealer costs so much.

3. Throttle Body: if the truck idles roughly, it may just need a TB cleaning. Dealer will do this for $1-200, or you can do it yourself for about an hour and a half of your time and a can of TB cleaner. Best to remove the TB to do this, but it's easy.

Bottom line is the cruiser is made to go about 300K before needing any serious work if it's maintained. But the doing the maint. will take time and a little $$. Compared to the Jeep--the Jeep will probably get to 100K and then die a miserable death; no doubt while you're driving somewhere.
tfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 01:44 AM   #4
do the dew
AF Newbie

Hell yeah, get the LC I have had four Jeeps before and a 1994 LC. All my Jeeps had problems,transfer case,brakes,driveshaft,sway bars,etc. they are great 4x4's but there no doubt that the LC was my favorite I bought it with 176k, previous owner did maintenance. So that does help alot. Just a thought, they were redesigned in 1998 with a nice torquey 4.7 V8, if you like to play in the mud get the center diff lock. Either way you can't go wrong with any fj series, your depreciation will hold up alot better than your Jeep. I like Jeep but I have experienced to many quality issues.
do the dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
shortlid
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Should I Give up a 2001 Jeep For a 97 Cruiser?? YES!!

Hands down I would trade ANY JEEP EVER for a RUSTY any year LC !!! And I have had FIVE of BOTH!! The Toyota is by far the better truck in every respect!!!

Last edited by shortlid; 05-06-2005 at 10:32 AM.
shortlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
aamiggia
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to aamiggia
What did you like better about the Jeep than the LC?

There is no comparision between a Cherokee and a Landcruiser.

In 1984 you would still have a FJ40 if American and BJ40 if Canadian. The comparision would be a Jeep CJ. Most Yankees who are into cruiser's would give their right nut for a diesel cruiser.
aamiggia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:36 AM   #7
shortlid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamiggia
What did you like better about the Jeep than the LC?

There is no comparision between a Cherokee and a Landcruiser.

In 1984 you would still have a FJ40 if American and BJ40 if Canadian. The comparision would be a Jeep CJ. Most Yankees who are into cruiser's would give their right nut for a diesel cruiser.
1. I DID NOT LIKE THE JEEP"S BETTER!! I liked the Toyota's better?

2. You are right the ANY Jeep is JUNK compared to a LC.

3. I have been looking for a stright frame (no Rot) stock driveline, manual tranny LC for five years now. I would give any thing to find one that is not $$,$$$.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #8
aamiggia
AF Newbie

Shortlid, are you in Canada or the US? What type of cruiser are you looking for?

In Canada, look to import a 70 series from Japan. The going rate on a 15 year old mint condidion BJ74 is $15 - $18 k CDN. Unfortunately most of the importers are in BC/AB, there are a few emerging in Ontario.

Try poking around the forums at www.ih8mud.com this is where all of the serious cruiser heads hang out.

Here is a 1980 BJ40 from BC. It is eligable for import into the US (25 years+).

"Nothing in life worth having comes easy"
Old 05-12-2005, 08:56 PM   #9
shortlid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamiggia
Shortlid, are you in Canada or the US? What type of cruiser are you looking for?

Try poking around the forums at www.ih8mud.com this is where all of the serious cruiser heads hang out.

Here is a 1980 BJ40 from BC. It is eligable for import into the US (25 years+).

I want to move to NS, or QC, Canada but I live in New England in the states now. Wow that is NICE curiser on E-bay!! So what is the law you can bring a 25+ year old vehicle into the US, I thought that NOTHING could come into the US any longer??
Old 05-13-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
aamiggia
AF Newbie

Quote:
So what is the law you can bring a 25+ year old vehicle into the US, I thought that NOTHING could come into the US any longer??
If I remember correctly, the laws in the US have tightened up in the last few years. There were some loop holes that would allow the importantion of certain vehicles for business use, or if you were in the military stationed overseas.

Nowadays,you can still bring in anything you want, but if it's not on an approved list of vehicles (very small list of vehicles not sold in US) it has to be retrofitted to US DOT standards. For JDM trucks that means new glass, airbags (if newer than 1993, I think), and side impact beams just to name a few. It is not cheap! The funny thing is driving a RHD vehicle is not illegal in the US and Canada.

So the trick for US imports is to bring in a vehicle, through a registered importer, that is 25 years or older. In Canada it is 15 years or older. That's why it's easy to get a 70 series turbo diesel cruiser from Japan here and all the old Canadian diesel rust buckets... err... cruisers are going to the US.

Read this thread, it's long but very informative.

Alex

Old 05-13-2005, 11:18 AM   #11
shortlid
AF Newbie

Talking Importers

Anyone know any good importers?? Can you do the papaer work yourself? Where can I find this list of OK to import vehicles to the US?? Thanks!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:13 PM   #12
aamiggia
AF Newbie

Not sure of any importer's, but I'm sure a quick internet search will find some in your area.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Land Cruiser/LX470