Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
bied10
AF Newbie

new fuel pump no pressure

I have a 94 Lumina euro sedan 3.1. It was having an intermitant stalling problem, always within the first 3-5 miles. After stalling, it wouldn't start untill hours (or the next morning) later. I took it to a shop and they couldn't find anything wrong. They checked ICM, crank sensor etc.and sent it home with me. I was able to duplicate the stall a couple of days and roll into their driveway. They determined that the fuel pressure was around 10, and stated that I needed a new fuel pump. (They wanted $800.)
I replaced the pump myself (NAPA part) new wiring harness and strainer too. I also put a new filter. Problem is I have no pressure now. The pump runs just like it is supposed to, I tested the relay (tested fine, replaced it anyway) and you can hear it run, but no pressure. Today I even unhooked the fuel line before the fuel filter and turned the key, expecting a shower of $2.00/gal fuel, but nothing. Does anyone have a suggestion?

(I miss the 70's and manual chokes on a carb)
bied10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
dwalmop
AF Enthusiast

Re: new fuel pump no pressure

if you unhooked the fuel line before the filter and nothing came out, but the new pump is still running, all I can think of is something in that very short path of fuel line is clogged. Or, your new pump is faulty. I feel like an idiot asking this, but there IS fuel in the tank, right?
dwalmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:50 PM   #3
bied10
AF Newbie

Re: Re: new fuel pump no pressure

I smiled. Yes, there is fuel in the tank, I added around 8 gal. When I got no pressure the first go around, I dropped the tank again and made sure everything was hooked up correctly. I took an air hose to the lines and blew them all out (watch that return line... it will get you).
Old 12-20-2004, 02:15 PM   #4
bied10
AF Newbie

Re: new fuel pump no pressure

PROBLEM SOLVED! I dropped the tank (3rd time) and hooked the wires back up to see if it would pump. The pump ran, no fuel... I took the sending unit out and looked at the wiring harness compared to the old. Every thing was backwards. I tore the harness apart (this took as long as dropping the whole tank) and put the wires where they should go and like magic, fuel was flowing like wine. 10 minutes of reinstalling the tank later, it runs great. I don't think my sending unit is working anymore, but I'm not going to attempt that untill it is a little warmer....

Just a note: the wiring harness was a simple unplug the old and plug in the new. I think NAPA should give me a free vacation or something for my trouble.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina