Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Fynack
AF Newbie

Ford MPG Fraud

www.FordMPGFraud.com

Any help would be appreciated
Fynack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
thunderbird muscle
AF Enthusiast

Re: Ford MPG Fraud

Sounds like it was the EPA not Ford since you know that mileage is calculated by the EPA and not Ford. I get better in my Focus then what was on the sticker.

Racing a Honda is like being in the special olympics even if you win your still retarded!
thunderbird muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
Mustang_Driver
AF Regular

when i bought my 2008 focus they caught me in the 35MPG/City and 42MPG/Hwy and after real world driving i can't get more than 24MPG Combined so as far as i am concerned it is a case of false advertising. i guess that's why they tried to destroy the window sticker when i bought it but i found it under the seat and had a lot of writing on it so i downloaded a copy from the ford website and i have it in writing and a spreadsheet with the real world driving MPG
Old 09-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
The Ruth
AF Newbie

A car or truck’s fuel economy is measured under rigidly controlled circumstances in a laboratory using standardized tests that are mandated by federal law. Automakers actually do their own testing and submit the results to the EPA, which reviews the data and confirms about 10-15 percent of the ratings itself at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory.

Vehicles don't even touch the road before they get their EPA rating. All of the tests are done on a dynamometer. The “city” program is designed to replicate an urban rush-hour driving experience in which the vehicle is started with the engine cold and is driven in stop-and-go traffic with frequent idling. The car or truck is driven for 11 miles and makes 23 stops over the course of 31.2 minutes, with an average speed of 21.2 mph and a top speed of 56 mph. The “highway” program, on the other hand, is created to emulate rural and interstate freeway driving with a warmed-up engine, making no stops (both of which ensure maximum fuel economy). The vehicle is driven for 10.3 miles over a period of 12.75 minutes with an average speed of 48.3 mph and a top speed of 60 mph.

Pretty much every single manufacturer has a large percentage of their vehicles labeled with overstated fuel economy numbers.

www.HelpUFindStuff.com
The Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
65comet
AF Enthusiast

And that 48mph they use for the highway is why we get such terrible mileage. The car companies design their transmissions for that speed and not the 55 to 70 speed limits currently on the interstates. So the poor real world mileage is because the government doesn't test for the real world forcing the companies to design to the test. We need transmissions that shift to high gear at least at 52mph or higher.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
The Ruth
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65comet View Post
And that 48mph they use for the highway is why we get such terrible mileage. The car companies design their transmissions for that speed and not the 55 to 70 speed limits currently on the interstates. So the poor real world mileage is because the government doesn't test for the real world forcing the companies to design to the test. We need transmissions that shift to high gear at least at 52mph or higher.
Exactly.

So, basically you need to average 20 mph instead of 35 mph around town, and 50 instead of 65 on the highway. Then you will get (close to) your sticker mpg.

www.HelpUFindStuff.com
The Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max