Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sportage
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
nutsplitter56
AF Newbie

2001 kia sportage P0171 error & rough idle

My smooth running engine now has a slightly rough/low idle with 80,000 miles. Overall the engine runs great 98% of the time no troubles.
Tip..Engine misfire code occurred on a cold winter day. Engine wasn't warmed up enough dealer said. They were correct.
Once while braking hard it almost stalled out.(warm weather / gas tank was on 3/4 low line also)
Dealer suggested a tune up including new wires & coils despite a tune up at 60,000 miles.
I also suggested when speaking with the service dept that when or if they do my tune up they replace the oily leaky gasket under the cylinder head cover that the spark plugs rest in.
They said they'd charge an extra hour labor plus $ for the gasket.
Dealer suggested maybe replace an EGR valve that I cannot locate myself to save 350$
Installed a PCV & fresh air filter helped RPM some. (some of the hoses are no longer flexible but not cracked).
I'll prob begin replacing hoses & sensors (no aftermarket) to keep stuff running smooth for maybe another 80,000 miles.
The gas pedal throttle cable attatched to the aluminum air intake appears to be sagging somewhat & slight finger pressure on cable increased RPM & engine "sounded" better to my ear.
Any tips comments from previous repairs will be helpful for everyone.
Thanks
Oh yeah, I recommend replacing the fuel line hose with each filter or keeping a spare in the trunk.
The dealer replaced the fuel filter & in the process broke off a one of 2 or 3 plastic tabs that are used to "snap" the fuel line onto the filter.
Well you guessed it upon heavy acceleration the fuel line popped off from the pressure. LOL (not funny at the time) The dealer happily fixed it after 2 attempts before realizing a tab was missing.
nutsplitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sportage