Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 01:01 PM   #16
corrrado
AF Regular

Re: Porsche 935/78 Moby Dick

Hi Deathtrap, looking great so far! Shame about the distortion in the print but when you know the problem you can fix it. I hope your next print will come out nicely! I also started a blender model couple of days ago, I am learning how to use it. Do you think I have too many construction lines? I tried to reduce them to the minimum though. I still need to finish the front and the side window area and add all the creases around the wheelarches. How did you make the windows, constructed the edges or with boolean? Thanks

corrrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 03:39 AM   #17
Zakspeed Capri
AF Newbie

Hello all!

I find the 935/78 very successful and would like to ask how you do the creation of the models. Are there any good tutorials? I would like to create the 835/78 in the original version with the closed door panels and the flat rear spoiler. Thanks already for the help!

Zakspeed
Zakspeed Capri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:22 AM   #18
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Hi Corrado,

Nice little project you have going there.
Unfortunately I still have found a way to fully resolve the issue. I think it is because of a few bits adding up to each other:
- My FEP needs replacement
- Thickening the walls of the model will make it more sturdy
- Splitting the model in 2 will also make it easier to print

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrrado View Post
Hi Deathtrap, looking great so far! Shame about the distortion in the print but when you know the problem you can fix it. I hope your next print will come out nicely! I also started a blender model couple of days ago, I am learning how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrrado View Post
Do you think I have too many construction lines? I tried to reduce them to the minimum though. I still need to finish the front and the side window area and add all the creases around the wheelarches. How did you make the windows, constructed the edges or with boolean? Thanks
I think your design looks a lot cleaner than mine. I did try to keep everything to a minimum, but I did not manage as well as you did.
The windows and wheel arches I created using designed edges. So no booleans. For the holes like the 3 in the bonnet, I used a ShrinkWrap modifier and then apply and resolve that on the main model.
Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci1jBOm_5NY&t=197s

As far as I have learned so far, there are 2 ways to make you model solid. Either use the Solidify modifier, or 'by hand'. I used the modifier first, but didn't like the compromises I had to do in the problem areas. So I went with the manual option on designing the inside of the body shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakspeed Capri
Are there any good tutorials?
Hi ZakSpeed, I don't know your skill level on Blender. I've learned it myself in evening hours and I'm not a professional. If you are new/a beginner, I must recommend to get to the basics. I used this tutorial from BlenderGuru to get me started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyJW...-xLB6U&pp=iAQB

This design is by far not my first one. I have created a couple far simpler things first, like rims and brake disks. For this project, I used yet another Youtube tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPvxIrobFE&t=1041s

I hope this was all helpful.
Deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 04:22 AM   #19
Zakspeed Capri
AF Newbie

Thanks a lot!

Regards
Zakspeed
Zakspeed Capri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 04:42 AM   #20
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hi Deathtrap,

Even with the problems you're finding with distortion, panel thickness, etc (all of which I'm sure can be overcome), it's impressive to see the overall quality of these 3D prints now. It's scratch-building in a new way!

Enjoying your progress, and looking forward to seeing what you do with the interior.

Good luck!

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports