Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Lebaron
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Soulshifter
AF Newbie

95 Lebaron, trouble with transmission

OK... I'm gonna sound pretty retarded, because I'm not terribly great with cars, but I have a 95 Lebaron that I've been driving for years. For a while, the transmission has been iffy. Mostly, it shook violently all the time, especially when accelerating, but otherwise it drove just fine. My dad had finished the engine which had blown and couldn't really figure out why the whole thing shook, said something was probably loose, whatever.

Well, some time ago it started doing this wonderful (sarcasm) new trick... While driving, it would make a loud pop and jerk violently, all the sudden it would make a horrid TATATATATATA noise unless I decelerated below 35. If I tried to go too far above 30-35, it would made the noise again. I can only assume it means it's not shifting gears as my RPM's get rather high and I don't feel the weak, strained shift I got used to when it reach certain speeds. It's starting to happen more often and sometime when I start my car and shift into Reverse or Drive, it pops and won't shift gears when I drive. It's a little inconvenient to be forced to drive around town at 30mph. What could possible make it do that?

Also, my shifter has the following: P - R - N - D - 3 - L
P, R, N, and D are quite obvious, but what are 3 and L? Can I just force my car into a higher gear so I can drive faster than 30?
Soulshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
peterjon1
AF Regular

Re: 95 Lebaron, trouble with transmission

You have the glorious 4 speed Utradrive transmission. shifting is electronically controlled. I am by no means an expert on these, but I can say they were not the best thing Chrysler made at that time. Now they have been updated to be fairly reliable, but back then, not so much. I suggest a Google search to find all the stories about them.
I had a vehicle that went through 3 of them. I finally unloaded it.
Second gear and reverse are hydraulically controlled. If the computer reads a problem, it should lock into second gear as a "limp mode."
You need to take it to a shop with the proper diagnostic capabilities to have codes read.
These transmissions use ONLY ATF+4, any other fluid will kill them sooner rather than later. Your dipstick may say Dexron, if so, it's wrong.
D is overdrive, 3 is Drive, L is the equivalent of first.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Stealth616
AF Newbie

Re: 95 Lebaron, trouble with transmission

I also have a 95 LeBaron. I had the transmission rebuilt at 155,000 and it's been smooth for 20,000 miles. I don't remember the symptoms exactly but I don't think they were exactly the same as you describe.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Lebaron