Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #16
Jeremy-WI
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2010 USB/iPhone problem

It appears that there was a similar issue with some 09 models that may have been resolved
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4197715

So there may be hope that GM will fix this one too
Jeremy-WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
robsieb
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy-WI View Post
It appears that there was a similar issue with some 09 models that may have been resolved

Interesting. Like you say, maybe there's hope. I also found another person having the same problem over here:

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=9083
robsieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
robsieb
AF Newbie

Quote:

Interesting. Like you say, maybe there's hope. I also found another person having the same problem over here:

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=9083
Old 01-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
Jeremy-WI
AF Enthusiast

Is there anything on the iPhone on the USB connection? I think the Blackberry phones had an option when you plugged them into a PC on what they would look like to the PC. You could just select mass media and the PC would think it was a flash drive, I think my sony digital cameras can do the same.

The other question would be is: can the radio read a normal flash drive?
Jeremy-WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #20
robsieb
AF Newbie

Quote:
Is there anything on the iPhone on the USB connection? I think the Blackberry phones had an option when you plugged them into a PC on what they would look like to the PC. You could just select mass media and the PC would think it was a flash drive, I think my sony digital cameras can do the same.

The other question would be is: can the radio read a normal flash drive?
Flash drives and any non-touch iPod device such as a Nano work fine. It's just the iPhone and the iPod touch that seem to have this problem. Unfortunately, neither the iPhone or the Touch have the mass storage option as in the Blackberry. This could very well be the problem but there's no real way to test it.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #21
robsieb
AF Newbie

OK, so I was completely wrong in my last post.

Today I tried using a 2nd and 3rd generation iPod Nano and got the same popping noise. (so it's not just the iPhone but I swear i tried a Nano before and it worked ok) The dealer called this week to tell me that the cable harness arrived but it will be a week or so before I can take it in to show them it's not the cable. (know this since I already pulled the head and connected a USB cable straight into it to the iPod/iPhone but I guess I have to play along for the moment.

With the new evidence and depending on what GM says, I'm about ready to demand the return of the cost of the head unit to me so I can buy an aftermarket unit that does work. Hopefully now with it not just being iPhones they will HAVE to pay attention and do a firmware update.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #22
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsieb View Post
OK, so I was completely wrong in my last post.

Today I tried using a 2nd and 3rd generation iPod Nano and got the same popping noise. (so it's not just the iPhone but I swear i tried a Nano before and it worked ok) The dealer called this week to tell me that the cable harness arrived but it will be a week or so before I can take it in to show them it's not the cable. (know this since I already pulled the head and connected a USB cable straight into it to the iPod/iPhone but I guess I have to play along for the moment.

With the new evidence and depending on what GM says, I'm about ready to demand the return of the cost of the head unit to me so I can buy an aftermarket unit that does work. Hopefully now with it not just being iPhones they will HAVE to pay attention and do a firmware update.
thanks for the update ...very interesting stuff..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #23
robsieb
AF Newbie

Had a chance to go to the dealer Friday to do what we knew wouldn't work which was replace the harness containing the USB cable. This entailed removing both front seats and the console so that we could get to the underside of the console to remove the existing harness. As suspected, when we buttoned it all up we had the same problem. As the tech was documenting what he had done the service manager came by and inquired as to if we had made any progress. After talking to him a few minutes he said to me that it's time to see if we can get this escalated at GM saying he would call his contact there to see what he could get done.

Before leaving I told him I would draft an email that he could use to document the problems in as much detail as possible which I did Friday night. On Saturday morning I received a message from him saying he had sent an email to his contact with my email and some additional information and indicated we should hear something back this week.

Will keep you posted as things move along.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #24
robsieb
AF Newbie

Received what I would call a bit of good news today. The service manager called me this afternoon to let me know that he had talked to GM today. They informed him that they connected (he said it took at least 15 tries for it to connect) an iPhone today and experienced the popping noise as well. They acknowledged a problem but are not sure if it lies within the radio or "with apple" but were going to look into it and get back to him.

He also asked which model (3GS) I had and requested I send him a list of apps on the phone. I said I'd gladly send him the list but felt it had nothing to do with it since the same problem occurs on the three other iPods I've tested.

Again, good news in that they were able to duplicate the problem and gave an indication that they will look into it. I'll post more as it comes.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #25
robsieb
AF Newbie

Update.

Apparently GM now has a fix that they are sending the service manager I've been dealing with. I've been told that it's not yet available to everyone but they are sending it to him to update my radio. Looks like I'll be the guinea pig. Fine by me as long as it gets fixed.

He's supposed to contact me once they have they update and I'll schedule a time to have it done. I'll report back what happens.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #26
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsieb View Post
Update.

Apparently GM now has a fix that they are sending the service manager I've been dealing with. I've been told that it's not yet available to everyone but they are sending it to him to update my radio. Looks like I'll be the guinea pig. Fine by me as long as it gets fixed.

He's supposed to contact me once they have they update and I'll schedule a time to have it done. I'll report back what happens.
I am very surprised at their response to your issues ...
lets see if they have truely got their act together ...and fix this widespread problem ...I will be waiting for your reply thanks .
Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #27
robsieb
AF Newbie

Finally had a chance to take the Sierra to the dealer for the update. There's good news and bad news.

The good news - The update mostly fixes the popping noise. I can plug the iPhone in and play songs or podcasts, skip from one song to the next all without hearing the popping. So far I've gone as long as an hour without having to disconnect the device due to popping and this was only because I was getting out of the truck. It may be just my imagination but I actually think the sound quality is better too.

The bad news - The popping can be made to happen. If you're listening to a song and hit the FF button for a few seconds the popping starts again and the only way to stop it is to reconnect the device. This also brings up another problem. If during the popping noise you switch over to a podcast (and I can't say for certain if it's just podcast) it will not play. Nothing, no audio at all. The information about the podcast shows on the screen, you can switch from podcast to music but no audio at all from either until you reconnect the device.

Part two of the bad - The charging may or may not work. This issue does not seem to be resolved at all. The first day after the update I could get about 10 minutes worth of charging but then the iPhone would throw up the "Device not supported" message and charging would stop. Also, seems that the first time you plug the device in after it's been restarted the radio will not connect. You have to pull the cable and reconnect. Most times now it will charge for about a minute and quit.

Part three of the bad news - During playback, be it music or podcast, at any given time (I haven't been able to see a pattern yet) the audio from the iPhone drops out, not all the way, just a quieting down for a split second. It's hard to describe but I guess I would say it sounds as if the signal weakens for just a moment and then goes back to normal.

Part four of the bad - Pressing the FF button a few seconds or a few times during the playback of a podcast causes the above symptom of the audio stopping completely.

Am I happy? Somewhat. I no longer have to constantly disconnect the device to stop the popping. Could I live with it with the other problems? Possibly. I very seldom use the FF key so I probably wouldn't have a problem with the popping. Is charging an issue? For me, not really. I usually am in the truck no more than an hour at a time. For me the update is bitter sweet or one step forward and two back.

I've sent an email to the service manager who's forwarded it to engineering so now we wait but at least I don't have to keep reconnecting it to stop the popping. Will report more when and if I know anything.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #28
j cAT
AF Fanatic

I thought this was a firmware issue ..

the company that made this product needs to do more work on the fix ...it appears that if done correctly you should get it to work...

thanks for the update ....so what do you recommend ?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #29
robsieb
AF Newbie

It was a firmware update. Came as a file on a USB drive and was done through the USB port in the console. Right now I'm supposedly the only one to have the update. The service manager said that engineering hasn't release this for the public yet and my guess is that after they get his email with my description of the problems they will have to go back and have another look. I'm staying on top of it and will post what I know when I hear something but for now I'd recommend holding tight.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #30
deariphone
AF Newbie

Thank you for providing such information. This is very generous of you providing such vital information which is very informative.

Iphone 4s Accessory
deariphone is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2010 , usb
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado