Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
bennylw
AF Newbie

Parking brake tbird -92 5.0

Hi all, I´ve bought a Thunderbird 1992 a couple of months ago and now I have a problem with the parking brake (rear discs with screw in caliper to apply p-brake). I can´t get it to work properly, it squeezed by the Swedish Motor Vehicle Inspection because of a nice test official, not good brakes.
I bought a Haynes Repair Manual, but as most of the time it only tells me things I can figure out anyway. Is there a digital version of a full service manual out there somewhere or is there somebody who has more info of the rear brake caliper with built-in parking brake?
* I have lubricated/changed all wires and they seem to work well with no sticking in either position.
* of course new pads have been put in
* the discs are in an OK state.
* Dust boots are torn and I´m getting new ones.
* rear brakes when driving are working as they should so pads/discs must be OK? (They passed inspection without problem)

Thanks in advance for any help.

/Benny
V8-lover from Sweden (Buick RMW -95, Dogde Van -89, Plymouth Savoy -62, Jeep Cherokee -78 - more whenever I can afford)
bennylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
97Bird
AF Moderator

Re: Parking brake tbird -92 5.0

Hi Bennylw. Go to my post in the Tech help thread to get an online manual. It shows how to adjust the parking brake. The post is #21 on the second page of the Tech help thread. I hope this helps! You can buy factory shop manuals including the electrical manuals on Ebay. These are by far the best manuals to buy if you want to work on your own car. As you've found out, the Haynes manuals aren't worth what you have to pay for them. Good luck!
Old 06-12-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
bennylw
AF Newbie

@97bird:
Thanks for the tips, the library looks very informative and will surely help me in the future, I was hoping for an exploded view of the internals of the caliper though.
I´ve searched Ebay yesterday but I haven´t found any e-manuals for the 92 T-bird yet, but I´ll keep searching. I´m going to disassemble the calipers this weekend to try and figure out what´s wrong there.
Thanks again for a quick and informative answer.
/Benny
Old 06-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
97Bird
AF Moderator

Once you're in the 1992 Ford Thunderbird sectionthe repair procecedures/brakes/parking brake/removal & installation/adjustment/with rear disk brakes there is a picture to show how to adjust the parking brakes. The manuals on Ebay I told you about are actual manuals, not e-manuals. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old 06-14-2009, 03:24 AM   #5
bennylw
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Bird View Post
Once you're in the 1992 Ford Thunderbird sectionthe repair procecedures/brakes/parking brake/removal & installation/adjustment/with rear disk brakes there is a picture to show how to adjust the parking brakes. The manuals on Ebay I told you about are actual manuals, not e-manuals. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Thanks for Your help, I saw the pics and I know how to adjust them, my problem is that the adjustment procedure isn´t enough to make my p-brake work. I lubricated all wires and they work properly and I have adjusted the tension as described but still the p-brake is too weak.
That is why I´d like an exploded view of the internals of the caliper with a thorough explanation how things should work. My wife has the car to a dog show this weekend but next week I´ll try to disassemble the calipers and find the problem.
Unfortunately it´s not a viable option for me to buy a paperback manual since I live in Sweden and the shipping cost would be too high for a book.

When I can I´ll take some photos of the diassembled caliper and post them here, maybe someone can help me or be helped by them.

Again, thanks for the help, this forum seems to be as good and helpful as the Buick Roadmaster forum with active members.

/Benny

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
brake , parking
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird