Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
wskybolt
AF Newbie

Question Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't

I have a 1990 Subaru Loyale with 130,000 miles. Sometimes I go to start the car and the lights on the dash come on with the ignition switch, but nothing happens with the starter,you wait 10-15 minutes and it is as if there is no problem at all. It happens two or three times a month and can be a problem for getting to work on time. Anybody else having a similar problem and if so what did you do to fix it. I have installed a new battery, checked and cleaned the battery cables and ground straps to the engine from the frame.
wskybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
somick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't

If this is an automatic transmision make sure your shifter is either in Neutral or in Park (just shake it gently). If manual make sure your safety switch operates correctly.
I have experienced the same problems what appeared to be a warned contact in the starter. Was not able to find a rebuilt kit. Ended up with a new (rebuilt) starter.

Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #3
StNicholas
AF Newbie

Re: Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't

Last poster had good idea. Contacts in the starter can be worn and produce intermittent results.

You may want to see if the wiring to the Bendix is worn. When you turn the key, there are many feet of wire, many connections, the ignition switch, any safety switches (neutral or clutch) that the current must pass through. Over time the resistance adds up and may keep the starter from getting enough current to fire the Bendix.

You can bypass this setup and get the Bendix to go via a bypass wire. Yes this can be dangerous as you will have to have the hood up and your fingers near moving parts and you may have sparks!!! Continue at your own risk.

Make a 3 foot wire (12 guage or thicker) with a female spade connector on one end. I like an alligator clip on the other, but a naked end will work. Connect the female spade to the male spade connector that is on the starter. Make sure trans is in park for automatic, neutral for manual trans. Carefully hold other end of wire to the positive battery terminal and see if the starter cranks the engine; do not keep it going for more than a few seconds . If it does, and you wish to start the motor, turn the ignition on and repeat.

On a number of occassions (Subarus and VWs) I have wired in a 'relay' to do this for me.

Name witheld on advice of my attorney, just call me Stubby.
StNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > General Discussion