Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 02:33 PM   #1
rhombus
AF Enthusiast

Question Need CB info...

I'm looking at adding a CB to my X.
Some of the guys that I 4x4 with only have CB's (not FRS).

I know nothing about CB's so any suggestions would be great.
I would like to mount the antenna on the ARB (firestick?).

I guess I'm just looking for a quality unit that is not to high end.
(don't need a bunch of features that I will never use)

thanks

rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 02:49 PM   #2
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to wqbang
If you are looking for inexpensive, check out Wal-Mart. they normally have an off brand CB for < 30 Bucks. If you don't mind spending a little more, I say spring for a Cobra 75 XW ST for its compact form. It will set you back $100 bucks though. As for antennas, I suggest getting a decent one. I suggest going to a truck stop on a major interstate and looking around.

BTW, I have a new mount for my CB antenna. Maybe I will post pics today if I get a chance. It is on the rear bumper now, out of the way of branches. My previous solution definitely maximized range but go really old on the trail.

Bryan
Old 06-03-2001, 03:11 PM   #3
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Thumbs up Cobra 75 WXST and Firestick II

I don't think you would have any regrets buying:

A Cobra75 WXST (you can get a refurbished one for $75, or new for $95). The box unit can be insalled behind your center console, and the whole radio is in the handset. There is a quick disconnect for the handset cable if you don't want the radio in your truck all the time.

and

Firestick II+ (No-Ground Plane) Antenna for mounting to your ARB. The 3-foot version reaches just above your rack-line and can be used to gauge your roof clearance. The no-ground plane versions have been getting better SWR readings when mounted on the ARB.

You'll need a SWR meter, or someone who has one to tune in your antenna properly.

Several of our club members have bought the above equipment through www.alfenterprises.com.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 03:14 PM   #4
rhombus
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick reply...
As for looking around a truck stop that might get me killed!
"Really guys I was just looking for an antenna for my truck and..."

I don't mind spending the money for the break even point.
Like for $100 you will get a good unit for $150 you will get the base plus some bells and whistles that I will not use.

Last edited by rhombus; 06-03-2001 at 10:34 PM.
rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 08:06 PM   #5
Synchro
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Synchro Send a message via Yahoo to Synchro
i just picked up at alfenterprises.com for $205 shipped a very nice top o the line Midland 79-290 with a wilson 4 foot flexi-antenna and mounting bracket. the CB is top notch. 4 watt AM, 12 Sideband. it does 120 channels including all the weather channels. it can listen in on 2 channels at once and can be modified to do 400 channels and listen to HAM as well. it has a detachable face plate is very close to being single DIN in size, i am going to get a single DIN stereo and mount them both where the stock double DIN is now.

we have been finding that the firestick anetennas are not that great. one of the MAXC buys had one and couldn't get the SWR down below 3, then got a wilson antenna and got it down to just below 1, a huge improvement!!!

for the best results, buy your stuff online and then find a CB shop to mount it and tune it. the tuning is the most critical part. alfenterprises.com also has some real good placement information. for example, the front bumper on the ARB is not a great place to put the antenna. it's ok, but not as good as on the roof. that site has a whole thing about optimal placement.

Last edited by Synchro; 06-03-2001 at 10:37 PM.
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 08:40 PM   #6
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Synchro,

ALF was the company who suggested the Firestick no-ground for the ARB. I got SWR levels of 1 to 1.2 across all bands.

Yes, a standard antenna would work better in the center of the roof, but the no-ground is tuned to work anywhere.

Old 06-03-2001, 08:53 PM   #7
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Roof mount antenna.

I also installed the Firestick no ground and so far it has worked great. I didn't get as low as Schlud on the SWR (about 1.2 to 1.8 for me if I remember correctly), but it's about the same as when I had a roof mounted K40. Frankly, I could not stand having the antenna on the roof. On the trail it would hit everything and swing all over the place, and when I'd get home I'd have to remember to remove it before entering parking garages. Seriously though, just having it hit all the trees and such on the trail was horribly annoying. Just something to think about!
Old 06-03-2001, 09:01 PM   #8
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Your coaxial broke too didn't it Chuck? That might have affected the tuning some.

I agree with you about the roof mounted problem with trees. I have problems clearing with my rack, let alone a 3 foot antenna on top.
Old 06-03-2001, 10:13 PM   #9
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, I accidentally broke off about 1/4" or so from the end of the coaxial, which may have negatively impacted my readings some. Firestik says that 1/2" can adversely affect performance, so I'm glad I didn't break it twice. Still, my readings were plenty respectable and I don't miss all that noise from the roof!
Old 06-03-2001, 10:34 PM   #10
Synchro
AF Regular

ok, so if you have it on the bumper, where do you run the coax to the cockpit? i have never seen a graceful solution, hopefully you have one.
Old 06-03-2001, 11:22 PM   #11
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I use the antenna mount on the ARB, then run the coax down the center pillar (using zip ties to keep is close to the metal). Then run the cable through the front of the grille, around the battery, to the back fire wall, and down through the driver side hole. It uses almost all 18' of the coaxial so you don't have to worry about storing excess cable.

Flying'S, ChuckH and myself all have used this path, and it works well. You barely notice the cable.
Old 06-04-2001, 08:07 AM   #12
Synchro
AF Regular

the cable i have already has the big screw in piece already on it. did yours? can you snake that thing through the firewall hole? the damn thing is like .75" wide.
Old 06-04-2001, 09:21 AM   #13
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Synchro,

Do you have an SWR meter? Would it be possible for you to bring it and the knowledge to use it to Smyrna? I haven't gotten around to getting it tuned. I wouldn't mind learning how to do it either. I have a 5' K40 tuneable Fiberglass whip.
Old 06-04-2001, 10:17 AM   #14
nadokid
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to nadokid
Question Handheld Unit

What's the difference in range between a decent handheld CB and a vehicle mount unit? Don't know where I'd mount one inside the truck, it's cramped enough in there already.

Old 06-04-2001, 10:29 AM   #15
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Re: Handheld Unit

Quote:
Originally posted by nadokid
What's the difference in range between a decent handheld CB and a vehicle mount unit? Don't know where I'd mount one inside the truck, it's cramped enough in there already.
Pretty big difference in range. That is why many people opt for this model:

http://www.cobraelec.com/scripts/sho...=new/75wx.html

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail