Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Stonedsurfer
AF Newbie

92 Astro EBCM Codes

Hello... our 1992 Astro AWD ext. Lt 4.3 L Van has the brake and antilock brake light both on and staying on. I checked by using the chart I added and think I'm getting codes #63 and 14. I'm getting the code 63 first and then the 14. By the chart it says 63- reset switches. I can do that by following the instructions on the bottom of the chart. Code 14- faulty ECU. I'm assuming that means the ebcm and not the ECU for the entire van,because I've already replaced that part in the recent past $$. If it is saying a faulty ebcm I have another van,same year,engine,everything, in a nearby junkyard with its ebcm intact. I know how much $$ a new one cost,ouch! Are there any problems I would have swaping those parts? I replaced the brake drums,shoes,discs and pads last summer so those are all new parts. I have to act fast because the junker van is getting scrapped out. Any replys welcome....Thanks
Stonedsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Stonedsurfer
AF Newbie

Post Re: 92 Astro EBCM Codes

Sorry.. I tried to attach the AZ code chart and instructions I emailed to myself,but I can't get it to post... wrong kind of attachment. I crossed leads A and H on the ALDL connector with the ignition turned on and counted the flashes on the abs light. To clear the codes for code 63 I just cross A and H on and off for two seconds,several times... that should reset all the codes and the brake and antilock lights should then go out. Shame I couldn't include the chart,it had all the code faults listed.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
jd-autotech
AF Regular

Re: 92 Astro EBCM Codes

u shouldnt have any trouble swapping them out. just follow the correct bleeding procedure.
jd-autotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Stonedsurfer
AF Newbie

Re: 92 Astro EBCM Codes

I still have not been able to get to the ebcm in the junker. I reset the switch after posting and the problem seemed to fixed until we got snow. Now the junker is burried up to the hood. I went out anyway and tried only to discover there are 5-6 small hex head bolts holding the cover on top. After stripping 2 I finally figured this won't work. The salvage yard owner said he was pulling the engine out around Christmas and would get the ebcm for me. Still waiting. When I asked exactly what the ebcm does, he told me "When it works after I reset it, We have antilock brakes, but when it fails like it has been, we simply go back to having our regular brakes, minus the antilock." Is that True? Being poor,this is the first vehicle we've owned that has antilock brakes, so we are use to driving without them. I'm just looking for confirmation on what the ecbm does. I know I have to get out there with a cordless and drill all those bolt tops off, but I won't be in as big a hurry if this only means losing the antilock. Thanks...
Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Stonedsurfer
AF Newbie

Post Re: 92 Astro EBCM Codes

I finally got tired of waiting for a call so I went out hunting for the part at my friends salvage yard. Those guys from the "Pickers" show would love this place. Problem is he couldn't remember where he put it and after searching for hours I gave up. I found a complete ebcu online and have the part now. I'm only going to replace the ebcm. There are 7 t25 hex head bolts holding it in place. After pb blasting them all they broke loose with no problem,amazing for a 1992 van. Six of the bolts broke loose on the replacement ebcm but the 7th one was so tight I broke off the bit on it,of course. After many curses I managed to drill out the bolt and pop the ebcm off the rest of the unit. I read to not pry it off so I didn't. I've also read online to NOT REUSE THE EBCM BOLTS... I'm not sure why this is and can't find any information on it, so I called the local gm dealership parts dept. and asked about the reuse of the bolts.... they couldn't find any information about it themselves and I personally can't see anything special about the bolts... no end seals or anything.... I'm going to use the bolts I took out of my van and put them back in the same hole they came from... I am very hopeful this is only the electronic brake control module that needs replacing and not the whole unit... I will post back with my findings after I reinstall the ebcm,clear all codes and test it out...
Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Stonedsurfer
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 92 Astro EBCM Codes

O.K. I got the replacement installed,tightened all the bolts,pluged in the wires,rehooked the battery and gave it a small prayer, turned the key and... the brake light and antilock brake lights went out like they should. Took it for a test drive and the brakes are nice and firm as they should be. The real test will be when it snows,no hurry there, and they function. The lesson here is if your Brake and Antilock brake lights come on and stay on, replacing the Electronic Brake Control Module may just be the answer. I got mine second hand online for $75.00 + shipping and core = $109.50 plus $2.00 for the t25 "star" hex bit(ya know,the one with the hole in the center of it) I also hunted a ebcm down at gmpartsdirect.com for @ $120.00+ Worth every cent just to not have to look at those brake lights on the dash anymore... Later all