Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:31 AM   #1
Whitese7en
AF Newbie

Z Car Question.

Hey Everybody, noob here

I have a black 1976 280z 5 spd manual, straight body, no dents or rust at all which I am thinking about restoring but before I do so, I want to clear up a question which has arisen in my mind that may torpedo my plans. This is my question, before I bought the car in 96, someone had an aftermarket sunroof (the cheap kind which you pull out) installed in it. If this wasn't bad enough, it also leaks. I'm pretty certain it's aftermarket because I don't believe Datsun/Nissan was installing factory sunroofs in 1976. Is this correct? Also, if it is an aftermarket sunroof, doesn't that diminish the car's value significantly?
If it does, I don't see any reason in investing thousands of dollars to restore it.

Thank you for your advice!!
Scott
Whitese7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
CronuSurtr
AF Newbie

Re: Z Car Question.

It could be aftermarket, but 280z's could have sunroof's, a leaking sunroof just needs a new seal, happened like 3 times in my old caddy seville. If it was after market the the value would be deminished because it didn't come with the car... the thing that will determine how much value was lost is how much damage has been caused by the leaking, and if it was after market, how shitily it was installed...
Old 09-17-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
Whitese7en
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CronuSurtr
It could be aftermarket, but 280z's could have sunroof's, a leaking sunroof just needs a new seal, happened like 3 times in my old caddy seville. If it was after market the the value would be deminished because it didn't come with the car... the thing that will determine how much value was lost is how much damage has been caused by the leaking, and if it was after market, how shitily it was installed...
Thank you for your prompt response by the way. It seems to fit well when it's closed and it doesn't leak when it's raining but it does when I go through the car wash. I figured it was just a seal problem. There really is no water damage to speak of. It's been garaged since 1999 and I only really bring it out every spring and fall to wash and wax it but for the most part I don't drive it very often. My bigger concern was whether or not this car was worth investing thousands of dollars in to restore. I've got around 20k earmarked for a project. If the Z is not worth investing in, I plan to buy an older Porsche 911 (early 90's model) and use the 20k to restore it.

Was a sunroof an option in 76?
Whitese7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
CronuSurtr
AF Newbie

I'd stick with the Z, you'd get more for your money's worth restoring that, unless the 911 was in great condition to begin with, because im pretty sure any part that says porche on it is gonna be expensive as hell.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

the Z is definitely worth investing money in... it's a timeless car that will never lose value or the love of z enthusiasts everywhere.

depending on what route you go, 20k could get you a great looking show car with everything redone and really nice paint... etc etc.

or it could get you a 1khp monster, whichever you want...
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
moacmom
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Z Car Question.

I had a flame red metallic 1976 280 Z that I customized. I added a sunroof (yes the pull out type) aftermarket. I also added vented louvers in the rear and a front air dam with fog lights. It also had a beige cord interior and the driver seat was slightly raised because I'm a tiny mighty girl. I LOVED this car. Had to sell it when it was costing me too much to fix it. I'd buy it back in heartbeat even with a leaky roof. I've searched everywhere for this car. Saw it once tried to catch the guy (yah like that's gonna happen in a minivan, oooo don't ask) anyway the answer is yes! Go ahead and fix her up I'd buy her.
moacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
alegria
AF Newbie

Hey im new at this so here it goes i just got a 84 300z car the first think that im trying to find out is it a 50 ann cuz on the outside it says but noting inside also i has a turbo and i wanted to know if i add a blow off valve and intercooler is my psi going to go lower or stay the same
alegria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
txq45
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to txq45 Send a message via Yahoo to txq45

Adding a intercooler helps cool the compressed hot air .. Blow offs just make a noise.. To increase your boost you'll need to add a Boost Controller.
But, that's the best way to hear BOOM if you don't know what your doing

txq45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
Andrewhuffman
AF Regular

inter cooler will lower the boost depending where the wastegate is hooked up. It depends on the IC to how much you lose.

To increase boost, you will need to remove the POV, add a BOV and boost controller.
Dont increase it unless you know what your doing.
Energy Suspension, z1 Drive Shaft,E-fan, Port/Polished heads, AMS Manifolds, HKS SSQV BOVs, Howe Radiator, RPS segmented LW flywheel, UR OverDrive waterpump pulley, Billion Thermo, z1 silicone hoses, Stillen gauge pod w/autometers, D&S rotors all around
Andrewhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
txq45
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to txq45 Send a message via Yahoo to txq45

Contrary you don't need a BOV to increase your boost.. The recirculation valves work great unless you're running really high HP.. I run recirculation valves on a stage XII car over 650rwhp ..
Here's my profile http://www.twinturbo.net/net/directo...&user_id=53214
txq45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:16 AM   #11
Andrewhuffman
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by txq45 View Post
Contrary you don't need a BOV to increase your boost.. The recirculation valves work great unless you're running really high HP.. I run recirculation valves on a stage XII car over 650rwhp ..
Here's my profile http://www.twinturbo.net/net/directo...&user_id=53214
on a z31, they come with a POV. which is spring actuated and has no external vacuum source....

so increasing the boost will juat allow the pov to open early and bye bye boost....
Energy Suspension, z1 Drive Shaft,E-fan, Port/Polished heads, AMS Manifolds, HKS SSQV BOVs, Howe Radiator, RPS segmented LW flywheel, UR OverDrive waterpump pulley, Billion Thermo, z1 silicone hoses, Stillen gauge pod w/autometers, D&S rotors all around
Andrewhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)