Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
tacosoldier
AF Newbie

Two questions

3800 series 2 '99 Intrigue, 236,000 estimated miles

Ok, other than weatherstripping, how can rain water come in and pool on the passenger front floor board and passenger back. Actually doesnt pool on the back floor board but the carpet is soaked, removed the bottom back seat and on that same side its wet there to. I dont know where to look in these areas. I ordered exterior reveal molding and weatherstrip belt for the passenger front only to be notified afterwards that GM discontinued the weatherstrip belt, so I could only replace the reveal molding. I took the car to an auto glass shop and they tested the windshield with a water hose and its not leaking. So now what else could allow rain water to enter the car???

I need to replace the crankshaft position sensor, my scan tool (Actron Scanner Plus) doesn't do a relearn. Is there another way, manually, to do this. Also, I dont have the money to rent a flywheel tool nor can I get someone to be an assistant in holding the pulley in place, what method can I do to keep the flywheel in place while removing the pulley bolt and installing the bolt??
tacosoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Two questions

Do you have a sunroof? If so, the drains may have come off. Also, the evaporator drain may be plugged, causing condensation to drain onto the pass floor.

You may be able to get a wrench on one of the flywheel bolts and turn the crank till the wrench is held by the transmission case.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmtech1 For This Useful Post:
tacosoldier (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
tacosoldier
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech1 View Post
Do you have a sunroof? If so, the drains may have come off. Also, the evaporator drain may be plugged, causing condensation to drain onto the pass floor.

You may be able to get a wrench on one of the flywheel bolts and turn the crank till the wrench is held by the transmission case.

Yeah, the car has a sunroof. I didnt think it would have such a thing as a drain, where are they located? Havent checked the evaporator drain, where can I get to it?

Thank you for the flywheel suggestion, will try it.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

The sunroof drains run down the inside on the "A" and "C" pillars. If you open the sunroof and pour some water down into each corner of the sunroof, you should see the water drain behind the ft wheels and in ft of the rear wheels. The evaporator drain will be near the center or passenger side of the fire wall. It'll have a 90deg rubber elbow facing down. You might not be able to see it from up top. You can pull the elbow off and see if it's plugged.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gmtech1 For This Useful Post:
Jimmy Olsen (01-06-2012), tacosoldier (12-13-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Circle
AF Newbie

Water on the front passanger side floor more often than not is from the fan box on that side where the passanger's knees would be. The water enters the air intake outside under the black plastic cowl below that side of the windshield. Remove the plastic cowl and you'll see the opening for fresh air to enter the a/c heat system. There is supposed to be a "dam" around the opening to keep the water out but sometimes it was left off or else deteriorated allowing water to enter. Just gerry rig something around the opening like weather stripping and replace the cowl. You man need new fasteners to reinstall the cowl.

Hope this helps.
Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Circle For This Useful Post:
Jimmy Olsen (01-06-2012), tacosoldier (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
tacosoldier
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle View Post
Water on the front passanger side floor more often than not is from the fan box on that side where the passanger's knees would be. The water enters the air intake outside under the black plastic cowl below that side of the windshield. Remove the plastic cowl and you'll see the opening for fresh air to enter the a/c heat system. There is supposed to be a "dam" around the opening to keep the water out but sometimes it was left off or else deteriorated allowing water to enter. Just gerry rig something around the opening like weather stripping and replace the cowl. You man need new fasteners to reinstall the cowl.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll look into this.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Circle
AF Newbie

So....? Was it the sunroof or the air intake?
Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
tacosoldier
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech1 View Post
The sunroof drains run down the inside on the "A" and "C" pillars. If you open the sunroof and pour some water down into each corner of the sunroof, you should see the water drain behind the ft wheels and in ft of the rear wheels. The evaporator drain will be near the center or passenger side of the fire wall. It'll have a 90deg rubber elbow facing down. You might not be able to see it from up top. You can pull the elbow off and see if it's plugged.
By pillars A & C do you mean the very front and back columns? If the drain hose came loose wouldnt the headliner be wet in those areas? I believe the evaporator drain isnt the problem as I havent used the AC recently, only the heater.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
tacosoldier
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle View Post
So....? Was it the sunroof or the air intake?
Not very sure yet. With working retail, my work hours are unforgiving. I need a whole day devoted to finding the problem and fixing it. I removed the cover to the air intake and did see a rubber piece which I assumed was the dam and looked like it was in good shape. Would it be a good idea to purchase a universal bulb weatherstrip and place it around the blower motor opening???
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

You are correct on the A&C locations. Just do the water test and see if it drains down by the wheels.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:11 AM   #11
panzer dragoon
AF Enthusiast

the crank position relearn procedure is generally not needed. A GM Tech2 would be needed to do that.
panzer dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
diesel1962
AF Regular

Hi,Had a 94' Olds 88.Had same problem with water on the carpet.Found a small rust hole in the right rear fender well.Patched it up and it cured the problem.Hope this will help.Diesel1962
diesel1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
tacosoldier
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1962 View Post
Hi,Had a 94' Olds 88.Had same problem with water on the carpet.Found a small rust hole in the right rear fender well.Patched it up and it cured the problem.Hope this will help.Diesel1962

Sorry bout the delay. I removed the passenger side fender and the tire well cover and didn't see any rust openings. Then removed the wiper arm and the blower motor cover to see if there was any signs of rain water entering into the interior. The following day, we had heavy downpour of rain. Course getting into the car to go to work, there was a new pool water on the passenger floorboard. I pulled down that corner of the headliner and seen that where the drain hose is connected to the sunroof assdembly was wet. Not the smartest person in the world, I dont believe its supposed to be wet. I now believe the drain hoses are my problem.
One day, I went to remove the entire assembly (my reason was the sunroof wasnt working properly in the first place). With drain hose added to a couple of sunroof issues, I was just gonna get the whole assembly off of a similar car in the salvage yard. I made as far as the sun visors and the sunroof button. I made some attempts of removing them but it seemed like I would break those parts. I checked with the Chiltons manual but it doesnt give step by step on visors or that power button. Anyone now a way to remove these? Also can the drain hoses be found online for purchase?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
tacosoldier
AF Newbie

Three weeks ago, I replaced the entire sunroof assembly. Since then, we've experienced a few severe thunderstorms with heavy downpours. After each weather intervals, I checked and no pool of water in floorboard. Today the floor is dry.
Now on to my next project, replacing the carpet.