Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 12:54 AM   #1
thecommi
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to thecommi
Angry 90 SSE Doors wont open

Hello All, I accually have 2 problems with my 90 SSE. First problem started while taking my wife to work i noticed that the oil pressure gauge was reading 0. My first thought was that the oil sending unit was bad, so i installed a aftermarket Sunpro oil pressure gage that i know workes. started it up and got around 40psi... but as she warmed up dropped to 0. I replaced the Oil Pump and Timing set while i was in there. Started the car up and same thing. 40 stone cold, and 0 after about 160 degreese. No lifter noise at all, she sounds normal. The car sat then for a while someone told me i spun the rear main berring and blocked the oil journal. now im having door problems. the 2 rear doors and driver door wont open, and the passanger door wont close. i took the passanger door apart and all the linkages are good, it seems to be something in the lock mechanisim itself. I sprayed silicone, PB blaster, WD 40 Lithium grease and what ever else i could find and still nothing, still wont close. This angers me since this car is in Mint condition with all the bells and whistles, now its useless... Dont think anyone would buy it, and think its worth more then 50$ to scrap it. any ideas on either of the problems listed here? Please Email me at Skippycow@hotmail.com and lable BONNEVILLE or Messange me at TheCommi3 on AIM.
thecommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:37 PM   #2
1badazzSSEi
AF Newbie

have you checked if the power door locks are getting juice ?
and did this problem all happened at once or did they started dying slowly?
1badazzSSEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:54 PM   #3
thecommi
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to thecommi
The door locks have power, and the accuators are working fine. Even if i try to unlock the door that wotn close manually the button on the outside, nor the handle on the inside have any type of resistance to them at all. Someone told me today that there is a gear ratcheting mechanizem in the accuall lock itself, and the pin that pushes it to release the striker hook falls off, or bends. only way to get to it is with the door open of course and the smallest hands in the world. I bought the car with 1 rear door not working, the rest of them were fine untill it sat for a few months. I've been told this is a common problem with bonneville doors, but nobody i've talked to knows how to fix it. Hope thats enough info for you. thanks for replying.
thecommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:45 PM   #4
pickett67
AF Newbie

Re: 90 SSE Doors wont open

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecommi
The door locks have power, and the accuators are working fine. Even if i try to unlock the door that wotn close manually the button on the outside, nor the handle on the inside have any type of resistance to them at all. Someone told me today that there is a gear ratcheting mechanizem in the accuall lock itself, and the pin that pushes it to release the striker hook falls off, or bends. only way to get to it is with the door open of course and the smallest hands in the world. I bought the car with 1 rear door not working, the rest of them were fine untill it sat for a few months. I've been told this is a common problem with bonneville doors, but nobody i've talked to knows how to fix it. Hope thats enough info for you. thanks for replying.

same problem here...with the door sticking closed.....with the door skin off everthing appears to be working fine....when i compared the right working door latch to the left busted door latch a white plastic peice was broken apart....i cant for the life of me figure out how to open it though.....also both door lock switches are non functional even though the doors all auto-lock when locked from the outside...any ideas???
pickett67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
randman1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 90 SSE Doors wont open

Take a look here: http://www.geocities.com/autotronics...e/SSEDoors.htm

The hardest part is getting the door open in order to begin fixing. I've got it down to a science now using the slim jim. I only lubed my driver's side and it still is having problems. The passenger's side is the one that got the replacement spring and works well still.
randman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville